Menu

Media literacy & consumer literacy

Earthmerlin

Any suggestions on books, sites, etc. regarding media & consumer literacy for elementary kids? Now that my 8 yr old is being exposed more to current events & marketing (commercials, etc.) I'd like to equip her with an ability to decipher such things herself. What parental resources are out there to teach these things (so I do so systematically & don't miss anything)?

Edited by Earthmerlin

Common Sense media has a series of lesson plans devoted to digital literacy. The link goes specifically to a page on information literacy but there are also links to the scope and sequence and games & interactives-- my kids use Digital Passport, but I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks for the tips. What is Digital Passport?

Thanks for the tips. What is Digital Passport?

It's a set of brief videos and games that teach kids about certain aspects of digital safety (communication, privacy, cyberbullying, web searches, crediting web sources). I don't think it contains any information about advertising awareness, or "Click here to claim your $1,000 prize!", or any of that, but it does have some good information. There are also two more programs intended for older kids, Digital Compass and Digital Bytes.

• Like 1