What's with the ads?

#1 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Any suggestions on books, sites, etc. regarding media & consumer literacy for elementary kids? Now that my 8 yr old is being exposed more to current events & marketing (commercials, etc.) I'd like to equip her with an ability to decipher such things herself. What parental resources are out there to teach these things (so I do so systematically & don't miss anything)?

Edited by Earthmerlin, 13 September 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#2 fralala

fralala

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

Common Sense media has a series of lesson plans devoted to digital literacy. The link goes specifically to a page on information literacy but there are also links to the scope and sequence and games & interactives-- my kids use Digital Passport, but I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for.

• Earthmerlin likes this

#3 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

Common Sense media has a series of lesson plans devoted to digital literacy. The link goes specifically to a page on information literacy but there are also links to the scope and sequence and games & interactives-- my kids use Digital Passport, but I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks for the tips. What is Digital Passport?

#4 fralala

fralala

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the tips. What is Digital Passport?

It's a set of brief videos and games that teach kids about certain aspects of digital safety (communication, privacy, cyberbullying, web searches, crediting web sources). I don't think it contains any information about advertising awareness, or "Click here to claim your $1,000 prize!", or any of that, but it does have some good information. There are also two more programs intended for older kids, Digital Compass and Digital Bytes.

• Earthmerlin likes this