Menu

SAGES-2 PREPARATION: request for assistance (Grade 4)

bmninada

Hello - I want to start preparing my child for SAGES-2. It has reasoning, language arts, maths/science, social science topics. He scores very good in Reasoning (98% in grade 3) and I primarily use an online subscription to train him with various practice tests, etc. At the same time - any recommendations on this topic - like supplements, books: highly appreciated.

My questions:

1. What to do with social studies, science topics? Someone recommended: Science Detective.

2. I have a separate post on language arts in this forum - so will track it there.

3. For Maths (also have a separate post here) but: I believe with all the stuff I am doing with him I ought to be good. 

4. ANYTHING / any recommendations.

SAGES-2 is a test suite conducted by my son's school to test gifted. It happens yearly. Last year he got thru. In 4th. grade there are 3 topics: Reasoning, Language Arts/Social Science, Maths/Science. I ain't sure if you guys know about it. If yes - was wondering if you happen to know any good materials which I can purchase to assist my son. Reasoning - I am not planning to as he's very good and in reality there's no preparation required however in Maths/Language Arts it'll help. 

Honestly, I'm just plain not a proponent of test prep. In addition to gaming a system, test prep is boring and there are so many more interesting things to do regarding education.

But if you're determined to do it anyway, Critical Thinking Company has Books put together specifically for different tests. Here is their list for SAGES-2: http://www.criticalthinking.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?achievement_tests=300.

My son took the SAGES-2 a couple of years ago to test into a local university G&T program.  I looked around for prep stuff at the time but didn't find anything.  I just continued with the regular stuff we were doing and he did great on the test.   I didn't want to make a big deal of the test by switching what we were doing or throwing new stuff at him.