Menu

Baby Name Help

4Kiddos

We are due to have our sixth baby soon- a little girl- and we are so excited. For reasons I don't really want get into, I am having trouble with baby names. I really like Odelia and think that it would be my first choice but I am worried it is too close to Adele and I don't want to get close to that. So I thought I would ask here. Do you think Odelia (pronounced O-dee-lia) is too similar to Adele? If I do choose this name do you think that spelling it Odelia or Odeelia is less confusing? I would appreciate any opinions you have. :)

P.S. I really like more old fashioned, elegant girl names so if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate that too. Evangelina is also a favorite.

Edited by 4Kiddos

I think it sounds somewhat similar to Adele when you say them both out loud, but as long as you don't have a dd named Adele, then I think Odelia would be fine.

I like the spelling of Odelia more than Odeelia because it's more traditional, but I suppose some people who don't know the name might pronounce it O-del-ia.  So, if you don't want to have to correct people now and then, Odeelia might be easier to pronounce??  Being more of a traditional-name person, I'd probably go with Odelia myself.

I think it's a very pretty name that you don't hear much!  I like it.

Also, congratulations!!

I like Odelia - it's a very pretty name.

In my house, I would have to stand there with a baseball bat to keep everyone from calling her Odie as a nickname (after the dog in Garfield).  But then, I am not super-fond of nicknames even though my girl Margaret has always gone by Peggy.

We are due to have our sixth baby soon- a little girl- and we are so excited. For reasons I don't really want get into, I am having trouble with baby names. I really like Odelia and think that it would be my first choice but I am worried it is too close to Adele and I don't want to get close to that. So I thought I would ask here. Do you think Odelia (pronounced O-dee-lia) is too similar to Adele? If I do choose this name do you think that spelling it Odelia or Odeelia is less confusing? I would appreciate any opinions you have. :)

P.S. I really like more old fashioned, elegant girl names so if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate that too. Evangelina is also a favorite.

I do not think they are at all alike! Great choice!

I'm not a fan of the name Odelia.  I'd go with Ophelia because people are more likely to have heard it before.  If I saw Odelia written I would be inclined to ask if the e is short or long. If I saw Odeelia I wouldn't ask how it's pronounced, but I would have to ask how to spell if if I had only heard it.  Of course, that's just part of American culture now because Kree8tyv spellings are all the rage among many segments of the population.  I'm old and boring and think it should be as straightforward as possible.

Evangelina is an elegant old fashioned name, people would be much more likely to know how to pronounce it and spell it, and it's got several cute nickname options: Eva, Evie, Ang, Angie, Eline, Elina, Lina. Someone is going to want to use a nickname even if mom and dad aren't inclined to that.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 1

I would pronounce is with the short e, too. If you have a DD named Adelle, then Odelia is too close- but if it's a cousin that would be okay.  If i were choosing, Evangeline is probably over Odelia, but both are pretty names.  It's taken us almost the entire 9 months to decide on a name (and we still aren't sure), so don't stress yet!  What about Eveline/ Evelyn, Caroline, Beatrice, Charlotte (this one is a little too popular, but love it!), or Violet?  

I prefer the Odelia spelling and I don't think they are too close to Adele. I love it and think you should use it! ;)

I am also a fan of Ophelia, Opal, and Octavia. I really like O names since they are not used very often. In fact, I would probably use Octavia in a heartbeat if I was having another girl any time soon :)

I think Odelia is lovely.

Claire is a classic name.

If you want to go really classic ~ Athena, Demeter, Gaia, Hera, Iris, and Rhea.

Regards,

Kareni

I think Odelia is so lovely, and underused. I don't find it too close to Adele at all. I agree that it's more likely to be confused with OPEHLIA, but that's just not a common name where I live so that wouldn't stop me. Not like Eva (EE-vah) being mistaken or pronounced as Ava, e.g., which would stop me. 

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to spelling. And honestly ... I feel like people mispronounce things once, maybe twice. But people misspell things way more often. I'd rather correct someone's pronunciation than their spelling of my name. So definitely Odelia, and not Odeelia. It'll get confused attention either way, so go with what's easier and more reliably corrected IMO.

Really love the name Evangelina, too. I think you have great taste.  :001_wub:

Other ideas (which you've probably already rejected by this sixth child!) That, and well "elegant" is subjective and few who know me would confuse me with elegant:

Delphine, Emmanuelle, Clementine, Henrietta, Cecily, Camille/Camilla, Virginia, Lilith, Delilah, Jocelyn, Adelaide, Colette, Celeste

Congratulations on your baby! 

Edited by Rosika

I think Odelia is so lovely, and underused. I don't find it too close to Adele at all. I agree that it's more likely to be confused with OPEHLIA, but that's just not a common name where I live so that wouldn't stop me. Not like Eva (EE-vah) being mistaken or pronounced as Ava, e.g., which would stop me.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to spelling. And honestly ... I feel like people mispronounce things once, maybe twice. But people misspell things way more often. I'd rather correct someone's pronunciation than their spelling of my name. So definitely Odelia, and not Odeelia. It'll get confused attention either way, so go with what's easier and more reliably corrected IMO.

Really love the name Evangelina, too. I think you have great taste. :001_wub:

Other ideas (which you've probably already rejected by this sixth child!) That, and well "elegant" is subjective and few who know me would confuse me with elegant:

Delphine, Emmanuelle, Clementine, Henrietta, Cecily, Camille/Camilla, Virginia, Lilith, Delilah, Jocelyn, Adelaide, Colette, Celeste

Congratulations on your baby!

Delphine....*swoon* wish I would have thought of that one when I was still having kids.