Menu

absurd rules and no rationality

gardenmom5

ds works at a store that has had a crow flying around inside for a week.   they can't try turning off the lights - and letting it fly out towards light at a door.   the lights are partially out of their control.  they've had various agencies in to try to catch the bird - but they have produce so it must be caught...  . . but they can't shoot it - it's a $10K fine for shooting it.  even though they've made multiple attempts to catch it, even though the store will be fined for just having the bird in the store in the first place!

there is no common sense.  they don't want to shoot the bird - they just want it out. they don't even have the option.  though it might end up being cheaper to pay the fine for shooting it than the daily fine rate for having it in the store.

• Like 1

Crows like fruit...:lol:..at least the ones that come the peach orchard here every fall and eat the peaches on the ground that didn't get harvested. This little crow must be a happy camper.

I don't understand why someone cannot flip a breaker for the lights though and see if the bird will gravitate toward a door.

• Like 4

Crows like fruit... :lol:..at least the ones that come the peach orchard here every fall and eat the peaches on the ground that didn't get harvested. This little crow must be a happy camper.

I don't understand why someone cannot flip a breaker for the lights though and see if the bird will gravitate toward a door.

I don't either. it might have something to do with store hours and you can have the lights off when you're supposed to be open.  ds said he thinks there is something that some of the lights are not actually under store control - and that it would take cutting power to turn them off.

How about one of those great big fans?  Would it scare/direct/blow the bird toward the exit?  Or bait, with berries? 

I bet if they flip the breaker, they'd have to restart all the registers.  I suppose they have a plan for that in case of storms, but what a pain!

Is the rule about not shooting the bird to protect the bird in your location, or is it banning gunfire in a dangerous area?  Because if it's the latter, a BB or Pellet gun might work without putting anyone in danger.

There probably are emergency, battery powered lights that cannot be turned off in case a tornado or something causes a power outage.

A pan of water on the floor by the door catches their eye, even with the lights on, and can help show them the way!

like a baking pan?  13x17?  how deep would it need to be?  would they need to leave the doors open?

the doors are west facing - so there should be a fair bit of light.

Is the rule about not shooting the bird to protect the bird in your location, or is it banning gunfire in a dangerous area?  Because if it's the latter, a BB or Pellet gun might work without putting anyone in danger.

There probably are emergency, battery powered lights that cannot be turned off in case a tornado or something causes a power outage.

that's a possibility.   we have windstorms, but no tornadoes.  (or hurricanes.)

Animal control can probably get a permit to shoot the bird if necessary.

animal control has been out trying to catch it, and are the ones who told them it was a $10K fine if they shot it.

But there are birds in Costco all the time! Don't they get fined?

I'm sure it depends upon jurisdiction - and how long it takes them to get it out.

I remember when  some birds got into a local lowes.  then they found the birdseed . . ..

• Like 1

like a baking pan? 13x17? how deep would it need to be? would they need to leave the doors open?

the doors are west facing - so there should be a fair bit of light...

I was working at a hardware store, so it would have been something from the store. I believe the idea is the same as birds flying into a window - reflecting the sky.

Crows are highly intelligent. They make tools, solve problems, care for injured birds in their flocks and have even been known to leave gifts for people who feed them. The crow probably thinks he has a good thing going. I really hope they are able to get him out humanely. I am frankly glad there would be a fine for shooting him. 

There have been some great ideas shared here! Please keep us updated! 

• Like 9

Not a warehouse.

Crows are highly intelligent. They make tools, solve problems, care for injured birds in their flocks and have even been known to leave gifts for people who feed them. The crow probably thinks he has a good thing going. I really hope they are able to get him out humanely. I am frankly glad there would be a fine for shooting him. 

yes.   dh heard a murder of crows (that's what it's called) cawing like crazy in our yard.  he went to investigate the issue, and one was caught in the net on our cherry tree.  he said it was very calm while he was handling it to get it unstuck.  as soon as it was freed, they all flew off.

they don't want to shoot it - they want it out.  they have tried traps, they have had people who catch animals for a living (in order to move them) fail to catch it.   if they were to shoot it- it would be a last resort.   the fine has to do with no  hunting within the city limits.

• Like 1

Have they tried using peanuts?  

They could prop up one of those plastic handheld shopping baskets, tie some rope on the propped up side and put some peanuts under it.  If/when the crow goes under to get the peanuts someone pulls the rope so the basket drops down over the bird.  Then stick some cardboard under the basket to keep the crow inside while they take it outside.

(The two crows that visit me daily love peanuts!)    

Edited by Laurie

Oh, and yes, doors open. The idea is for the bird to swoop down towards the water, then up out the door. The pan of water was probably even outside the open doors, in order to catch the light/sky.

I'm picturing the rest of his murder outside waiting for all these doors to be propped open so they can move in. Humans are playing right into their trap.

They can also possibly recognise individual human faces...

• Like 3

Maybe a laptop playing crow mating sounds near the door? 

Or a loud stereo to scare it out?

Predator sounds to scare it out?

Maybe covering the fruit/veggies at night to discourage it's snacking? 

Maybe a sonic boom gun to scare it out with sound?

Maybe a bean bag gun ?

What about a bird net to trap it?

Edited by Tap

the fine has to do with no  hunting within the city limits.

I think it's unfortunate that they can't make an exception, or that animal control can't come up with a creative solution, but I have trouble see this as an "absurd rule".   The vast majority of the time, shooting guns in cities is a very bad idea.  

I think it's unfortunate that they can't make an exception, or that animal control can't come up with a creative solution, but I have trouble see this as an "absurd rule".   The vast majority of the time, shooting guns in cities is a very bad idea.  

what's abusrd is they CAN'T come up with something that is workable in an exceptional case.