Menu

Highly inflammatory post

Moxie

Ok, enter at your own risk.

You've been warned!

*whispers quietly*

I'm tired of Chip and Joanna. We don't have cable and I still see them all over. Now she's getting a line at Target. Blah.

• Like 25

No cable here too

I still somehow managed to see a bunch of shows (were they ever on Netflix?) and while I think the finished houses look really good, I think they all kinda look the same. Not just a signature style, but the same.

I like for things to coordinate or look sort of planned or on purpose because after 23 years of marriage I'm still desperately trying to get out of the handmedown curbside decor stage. But I can't stand it when over half of the things in a room are purely decorative with no useful purpose other than to keep dusting products companies in business.

And if I hear the words SHIP LAP one more time, I am going to start wishing for that ship to sail away and sink to the deepest depths of the seas

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 8

I've only seen them in waiting rooms at doctors' offices where nobody's allowed to turn off the TV. I get secondhand cringe from Chip, who is too awkward in a NOT adorable way. And she always looks like she's inwardly cringing at him, too, which makes me even more uncomfortable.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 2

I've only seen them in waiting rooms at doctors' offices where nobody's allowed to turn off the TV. I get secondhand cringe from Chip, who is too awkward in a NOT adorable way. And she always looks like she's inwardly cringing at him, too, which makes me even more uncomfortable.

Interesting. I think she almost always looks like she thinks he is adorable.

• Like 8

I watched a season in the background during crafting sessions one summer.  Their family looks a lot like mine since youngest is Korean, which is why I took notice of them in the first place.   What they did looked very nice and seemed well done, but if you've seen one of their houses you've seen them all. They seemed like pleasant people, but I don't know why some people get so excited about them.  Nice people making a house look nice...how nice...

• Like 4

I watched them once . . . . by the end, I wanted to punch him. I don't' care for their work anyway.   I don't watch.

I prefer property brothers.

eta: I don't get the popularity.

eta: I mean I watched one episode - once.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

what the frick is ship lap? :leaving:

ship lap was the wood used in wooden ships, back before steel ships.  it used to be used in interior walls because it was cheaper than lath and plaster.  then as people got money-  they would cover it up to make it more attractive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiplap

then people would come through and remodel the houses and find the ship lap as they tried to tear down a wall.   some people would just expose it, or take it down and reuse it elsewhere as a feature.   now, people will buy the wood that has been prepped the same way, and make it look like ship lap. 

for if it looks good or not, really depends upon the house, how it is used, and the type of wood.  some of it looks like garbage.  some is really cool.  like having a "real" old brick wall, vs installing something that is supposed to look like an old brick wall.

• Like 6

Oh, that's not inflammatory! â˜ºï¸ I have stopped watching their show for a while, for several reasons. 1) Chip really annoys me. He has taken on this persona of being the goofy, slobbering sidekick to his beautiful, long-suffering wife. 2) They are adding in the kids more and more often and I am opposed. Let the kids live out of the spotlight. But this is how shows come up with more stuff for viewers to identify with. I just don't like it. 3) enouh with the shiplap. Between ship lap and The Property Brothers constantly knocking down every wall there has ever been, I'm just longing for some different styles. Show me some pretty houses with a wall now and then.

But seriously, Chip...I'm so over him acting like a clown.

• Like 7

Thank you for asking.

I've watched the show several times, but I had no idea that ship lap was a thing or their thing. I guess I somehow missed those episodes?

It's a constant part of the Rustic-Modern Farmhouse look. They usually paint it white.

Chip definitely goes overboard sometimes---eating the cockroach just about ruined the show for me. I don't like that kind of stuff. At all. But he seems like a really involved and loving father so he gets a bit of a pass on the goofiness.

I have been living in an unfinished fixer for 5 years so I guess I just enjoy watching the pretty houses....never noticed that they all look the same.

All of these remodel shows have a theme....if you watch them enough you will begin to get annoyed.....that is the nature of tv it seems.

• Like 3

No cable here too

I still somehow managed to see a bunch of shows (were they ever on Netflix?) and while I think the finished houses look really good, I think they all kinda look the same. Not just a signature style, but the same.

I like for things to coordinate or look sort of planned or on purpose because after 23 years of marriage I'm still desperately trying to get out of the handmedown curbside decor stage. But I can't stand it when over half of the things in a room are purely decorative with no useful purpose other than to keep dusting products companies in business.

And if I hear the words SHIP LAP one more time, I am going to start wishing for that ship to sail away and sink to the deepest depths of the seas

I don't mind that they are decorative - I have a fair number of decorative things.

But they are pictures I loved, or jugs I failed to resist (I have a thing for jugs) or plants, exotic stuff a friend brought me from a vacation, or other things I find meaningful.

A bunch of "decor" items bought by someone who doesn't know me?  Not interested.  Usually they are bland as all heck on these tv shows, but even in things like AD, where they are high end and often very beautiful in themselves, there is something about it I find unappealing.  If I have to hire someone to find decor for me, I'd just as soon go minimalist.

• Like 1

Chip definitely goes overboard sometimes---eating the cockroach just about ruined the show for me. I don't like that kind of stuff. At all. But he seems like a really involved and loving father so he gets a bit of a pass on the goofiness.

I have been living in an unfinished fixer for 5 years so I guess I just enjoy watching the pretty houses....never noticed that they all look the same.

All of these remodel shows have a theme....if you watch them enough you will begin to get annoyed.....that is the nature of tv it seems.

Yeah...Property Brothers' theme is: sibling rivalry. I don't think there is actually much sibling rivalry, but rivalry banter is their theme. even the one spin-off show was meant to highlight this; the show where they compete against each other over who does the best reno.

• Like 1

Wait.....what do you mean their youngest is Korean? Adopted? I never knew that.

Well Joanna is part Korean, so all of her kids are part Korean. I don't believe any are adopted.

I know their style and show isn't for everyone, but I liked the first season or twos style. Lately the show hasn't been my favorite as I feel like they are trying too hard. I also don't like all the merchandising. I am interested in their target line, but I typically buy my farm style things locally and at better prices. I can't justify $100 pillows they sell at pier one, I don't buy their books and more than likely I won't buy something of theirs at target just because it's theirs (only if I like it).

Yes I know Joanne is part Asian ( I don't know if I knew Korean specifically) but the way the PP worded it made it sound like the youngest child was adopted.

I believe HS Mom in AZ was referring to her own adopted daughter.

what the frick is ship lap? :leaving:

I had to look that up along with just about everything else in this thread. :) But hey, I like their style, but if they design all houses like that, it does seem like it'd eventually get a bit monotonous.

I've never deliberately sat down and watched a home redecorating/remodeling/house buying television show in my life. I don't particularly get the appeal. If you want decorating ideas, you can get much more much faster just by browsing online.

• Like 1

Oh, that's not inflammatory! â˜ºï¸ I have stopped watching their show for a while, for several reasons. 1) Chip really annoys me. He has taken on this persona of being the goofy, slobbering sidekick to his beautiful, long-suffering wife. 2) They are adding in the kids more and more often and I am opposed. Let the kids live out of the spotlight. But this is how shows come up with more stuff for viewers to identify with. I just don't like it. 3) enouh with the shiplap. Between ship lap and The Property Brothers constantly knocking down every wall there has ever been, I'm just longing for some different styles. Show me some pretty houses with a wall now and then.

But seriously, Chip...I'm so over him acting like a clown.

Yup.  I like Joanna, but her husband is so annoying.  I cannot take his goofiness. If a contractor showed up at my door acting like that I definitely wouldn't hire him.  

• Like 2

I'm totally cool with the Target line because the overexposure means their light will soon fade.  I liked then in the beginning but for all the reasons stated above, I'm done.  I do confess that I have a Demo Day shirt and I'm wearing it now because it's a good sturdy shirt to wear during renovations. 

You have to give them credit...they took a business and jumped on the popularity to make it a huge multimillion dollar business. Same with the pioneer woman and her blog. They may be a short spark in the grand scheme of things, but they are making a lot of money off of that spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

You have to give them credit...they took a business and jumped on the popularity to make it a huge multimillion dollar business. Same with the pioneer woman and her blog. They may be a short spark in the grand scheme of things, but they are making a lot of money off of that spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I admire what they did, are doing.  I say go for it, run with it, but don't make me watch.  :)

I watched a season or two, maybe 2 years ago.  DH and I enjoyed it, and the kids watched with us.  And then ... it just felt too formulaic, Chip felt forced in his awkwardness, and the whole thing was just the same old same old over and over and over.  We started skipping most of the show - we'd watch the houses at the start and skip to the end.  And then even that was too much because her signature style also felt formulaic.  It's nice, I like it, but not again and again.  

So, I'm happy for them and what they've built, and wish them success.  But I'm not watching anymore.  

• Like 2

I've always felt the same way about the Pioneer Woman. Yuck, a million times over. Seemed like she was everywhere. I heard she even has a magazine?

I remember years ago a story about a blogger named Heather who wrote a good story on how the PW treated her and a group of visitors like crap. Classic. Yet still she gets plastered across the media.

Always a way to make a buck. Martha and Rachel Ray did the same.

I like the Pioneer Woman. She gave me an iPad. No, really. I entered one of her homeschool contests and won an iPad. I've never watched her show, though--we don't have cable. 

• Like 1

Wait.....what do you mean their youngest is Korean? Adopted? I never knew that.

I said their family looks a lot like mine. She's Asian and he's a light skinned Caucasian which looks a lot like my dark haired, dark eyed Asian child standing next to me, a light skinned Caucasian with light green eyes and red hair.

That's how I feel about the Duggars! (Spelling?) I had never heard of them until this board. And this place is the only time I hear about them now.

:thumbup1:   I'm pretty sure I first googled the Duggars thanks to this board!  I really don't get the fan clubs for basically random normal people and am not a fan of reality TV.  Plus, no cable or satellite. 

• Like 1

I like them well enough. Chip gets on my nerves, but they do seem to have a happy family life. I don't mind their kids being in the shows because it's a family business. 

I like their design esthetic (is that the word I should use?) although I lean toward more color. One of the things I like is it's a comfortable, rather kid friendly look. Some fru-fru, but mostly not delicate stuff. 

​At this point, if I list a home done with touches of this style, it gets tons of traffic and usually a quick sale. 

​I've taken friends and family down to Waco to the Silos...I like looking around and eating at the food trucks. That said, I'm a little tired of the show being on all the time.

I'd like HGTV to bring in a few other shows again. 

​Probably won't buy at Target but I will watch the new season when it airs. 

This thread :laugh:

I don't know what's so special about rod iron stair rails. She got them in her home and thinks everyone should enjoy them.

The carpenter guy does good work.

When she says, "ok we have this much left... these are you choices. Do you want A, B, or C?" I think "None of the above! What a waste of money" half the time. I just feel like they spend too much money to do what they do. But maybe that's because on demo day I think of all the stuff they could have reused.

I can watch them or not watch them. I don't have cable.

This thread :laugh:

I don't know what's so special about rod iron stair rails. She got them in her home and thinks everyone should enjoy them.

The carpenter guy does good work.

When she says, "ok we have this much left... these are you choices. Do you want A, B, or C?" I think "None of the above! What a waste of money" half the time. I just feel like they spend too much money to do what they do. But maybe that's because on demo day I think of all the stuff they could have reused.

I can watch them or not watch them. I don't have cable.[/b]

That carpenter guy does do good work! He could have his own show!

With the choices: I do at least like that she offers them the choices. But also, yeah, some of the things they choose to do make no sense (financially) to me. One that I particularly remember was where they removed an entire fireplace and chimney. IIRC, they were reversing the floorplan somehow and making the kitchen where the living room had been or something like that. I just thought that was too much effort, not enough payoff.

But I also know something like that would not be for me; I could never buy a piece of garbage house and then give a designer the reins and have them spend $100k turning the house into their own vision. I'm too particular and could not give over control of something that matters to me so much. Plus, designers always do what looks pretty and not necessarily what makes the most sense to me. So they'll put some sort of awesome-looking textured brick behind the toilet and it looks good but all I can think about is how am I getting boy pee off those bricks. ðŸ˜

ETa: fix tag

Edited by Quill
  • Like 3