Menu

Iew worth the money?

Ausmumof3

I messed up with my school planning for this six months. I bought an IEW themed unit thinking it was a standalone writing program.

But it's actually meant to be used with the structure and style DVDs.

We have been muddling our way through but I am fairly sure we'd be more successful with the whole package.

But another $150 plus $50 shipping to Australia on top of the $50 already spent. Ouch.

I have spent my book money for the year and then some.

But if I don't I guess I'm going to have to find something else to do for writing. Which I'm still going to have to buy... Grr

And the writing we've done has improved ds output quite a bit.

We did it without the TWSS parent DVDs as once bought, I just didn't have the 9 or whatever hours to devote to it. In fact, I just sold them.

I found just starting with SWI-A was pretty self-explanatory (you have Andrew Pudewa's student seminar/lectures on DVD) and have managed fine on going on my 3rd kid going that route from 5th grade on... 

We did: SWI-A, SICC-A, SICC-B, Elegant Essay, Speech Boot Camp... so far. I did not care for the themed units myself as my kids do like the Andrew Pudewa DVDs.

• Like 1

I purchased a theme-based unit before I ever watched the TWSS videos. I was able to glean enough from their webinars to successfully execute the program.

You should be able to save money on shipping by purchasing the streaming videos, although they'd only be good for one year.

At this point, I've watched the videos three times now, and they are helpful in understanding the program.

Can you check for the videos used or see if your library has them/can get them on an interlibrary loan? I'm not sure how that works in Australia...

I purchased a theme-based unit before I ever watched the TWSS videos. I was able to glean enough from their webinars to successfully execute the program.

You should be able to save money on shipping by purchasing the streaming videos, although they'd only be good for one year.

At this point, I've watched the videos three times now, and they are helpful in understanding the program.

Can you check for the videos used or see if your library has them/can get them on an interlibrary loan? I'm not sure how that works in Australia...

Thanks that's very helpful.

I am doing some Webinars this year. They aren't available through the main library but I think there is a homeschool library I'm looking into.

It's not that I'm not seeing the value just that I think DH will not be happy as I said I was done spending on school books this year and didn't realise they were meant to work on conjunction.

Thanks that's very helpful.

I am doing some Webinars this year. They aren't available through the main library but I think there is a homeschool library I'm looking into.

It's not that I'm not seeing the value just that I think DH will not be happy as I said I was done spending on school books this year and didn't realise they were meant to work on conjunction.

You can view recordings of previous webinars so that you don't need to wait for the next live event. This page shows the webinars on the nine units. http://iew.com/events-classes/webinars/webinar-archive

ETA: my search didn't save in the link. Just scroll to "Nine Unit Series" under topic.

Edited by Syllieann

AusMum, are you in the Buy/Sell/Swap AU FB Group? It comes in there often at a MUCH cheaper rate. I'll say this about the parent DVDs.. they are lengthy to watch & the idea is that a parent watches a Unit before teaching it. So far I wouldn't say I've gained a lot more from it than from the student lessons {yet, I'm behind on a few units}..

I'd honestly suggest considering picking up IEW SWI at whatever level you need. That also comes up at a GREATly discounted price in the group I mentioned above. I picked up our copy for $60 I think it was. I'm a little worried about the Continuation price because those are harder to source second hand.

AusMum, are you in the Buy/Sell/Swap AU FB Group? It comes in there often at a MUCH cheaper rate. I'll say this about the parent DVDs.. they are lengthy to watch & the idea is that a parent watches a Unit before teaching it. So far I wouldn't say I've gained a lot more from it than from the student lessons {yet, I'm behind on a few units}..

I'd honestly suggest considering picking up IEW SWI at whatever level you need. That also comes up at a GREATly discounted price in the group I mentioned above. I picked up our copy for $60 I think it was. I'm a little worried about the Continuation price because those are harder to source second hand.

No I'm in an Adelaide based one but I rarely see much classical education related there. Is there a way to find the group? I find it quite hard to find good used resources.

No I'm in an Adelaide based one but I rarely see much classical education related there. Is there a way to find the group? I find it quite hard to find good used resources.

It's called: Homeschool, Buy, Sell, Swap Australia :)

I did find one which reduces the shipping to $10. That definitely helps.

There is no longer an AU seller. They closed up shop, but in fairness their prices were DOUBLE or more of the USA prices which actually made it CHEAPER to import from the USA. I hate that because you want to buy it local, but really It was just a lot to swallow. I kinda wish that curriculum companies understood that while our children NEED writing they also NEED math and they also NEED history, etc. If they didn't all think their curriculum should be worth hundreds each.. ahh, a pet peeve of mine. ;)  

• Like 1

There is no longer an AU seller. They closed up shop, but in fairness their prices were DOUBLE or more of the USA prices which actually made it CHEAPER to import from the USA. I hate that because you want to buy it local, but really It was just a lot to swallow. I kinda wish that curriculum companies understood that while our children NEED writing they also NEED math and they also NEED history, etc. If they didn't all think their curriculum should be worth hundreds each.. ahh, a pet peeve of mine. ;)

Yeah I understand the need to make money but one income and three kids makes it hard to buy everything.

The NZ seller seems to be closing too. They would have been cheaper just because of postage. Does Australia Post have a freight forwarding warehouse in the US like NZ post. I got my AOPS stuff shipped to NZ post's warehouse and then forwarded for about 1/3 of the price. If i end up buying IEW i will do the same. And yes I hate that if I buy beast academy locally it is more expensive than importing it (although it is about the sane if I buy just one quarter).

Thankyou.

There is this Australian distributor listed here on the IEW website (but I have not used them).

Australia

Edited to add: I have since been in contact with them via email and received a prompt reply.

Edited by speed.cleaner