Menu

News to me: No more subs at local school

lulubelle

I sub middle and high in two districts near me. There are about 6 districts that I can easily drive to. In the two I stick to I earn $120-140 depending how many days. In my kids' district it has to be consecutive, if not it reverts back to the lower amount. In the one I like better, the days just accumulate.

In CA we have to have 30-day emergency credentials just to sub in the first place but if you want long-term it has to be full sub credentials which is essentially teaching creds.

It cost me about 4 days pay to pay the fees to get started last year but I got a long-term middle school position with my first interview. They really liked me so I try to sub at that school as much as possible so they are reminded they like me.

• Like 1

Our district pays $100 per day, which is the same as 20 years ago when I subbed.  I think this is ridiculous!  (although in reading your responses, our rate is much better than many of yours, so I feel really bad for you!). My nephew at the time was an electrical apprentice, 20 years younger than I was and making more than I was!   So much for having a master's degree with 10 years experience....grrrrr!   

I subbed as a beginning teacher and really enjoyed it.  However, the disrespect teachers have to put up with now from students (in some, not all classes) is not worth it to me.  I feel subs should be compensated more for their time and trouble. If districts are having difficulty finding subs, they need to rethink the current system and hire them as an employee.

One idea would be to hire them as a 'pool' of subs to rotate throughout the building or district.  That way, kids would know them as the educators they are and treat them as such.  Teachers and students would be familiar with each other and routines. This should help students to know that having a sub would not be considered a 'free' day and to act accordingly.    (Ahem, isn't this one of the reasons so many of us homeschooled, because of time wasted in the public schools?!    Yes, I have been employed by the public school system, but I don't agree with everything that goes on there!

What I would really love to see when schools are having such a hard time finding subs these days would be for board members or administrators stepping up to the plate and taking over for the teacher who is out.  We never see this happen, do we?   They get paid plenty, but they are not directly working with students, so they really have no idea what goes on in classes, or how to incorporate new mandates!  

I have more respect for bosses who roll up their sleeves and chip in when the need is great.   Just my 2 cents...(please don't bash my opinion, it is just that, an opinion!)

• Like 1

I had considered subbing but the rate here is based on $8 /hr temporary help rate. No thanks. Paraprofessional rate isn't any better, but does come with health insurance.

That is crazy and about what ours get in take home.  6 hours, $80 if you are fully licensed.  $60 if you are not.

Teachers are leaving NC in droves.  It isn't JUST that the pay is horrible, the benefits are costly, etc....but it is also that retirement is the worst I have ever seen of teacher retirement plans.  It relies heavily on Social Security.  Well, guess what?  CA didn't, so I didn't start paying in until age 49.  That isn't going to get me anywhere.

So, after a lot of careful consideration and running some serious numbers, I will make more than triple retirement in CA and get health benefits.  Part of that is 17 years already in the system, but the other is just the difference in how it is structured.

• Like 1

My sister in law - different state - was hired as a permanent sub. So she was on campus everyday either in a classroom or working as an assistant or teacher's aide when an aide was not needed. She got to know the kids and staff and ended up treated with a lot more respect. Working full time for them and not bouncing between districts was a blessing. She ended up being able to get benefits. She had a bachelor's in business and while she might have found higher salaried work elsewhere, really wanted to work in her children's school until they all graduated. It worked out better for everyone. There was one other full time sub so they could usually manage to discuss things like doctor's appointments or sick kids and make sure they were not both gone at once. It was a much better solution for the school.