Menu

Vacation question....What is something you would like to see? (not a place, but a thing?)

Tap

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota and other roadside America attractions.

I don't consider myself well traveled but have seen most of the domestic locations/things mentioned so far. Interesting that some of the things people really want to see I've taken for granted as just part of everyday life.

• Like 2

My DH's travel plans are always about visiting people, but I like to travel to see/do things.

That describes us and I think it's based on our childhood. I grew up going to different places (usually within driving distance but still different locations). He grew up going to Tennessee to visit his grandmothers. In our married life we've often gone to Tennessee to visit his grandmothers except when I insisted we go on a "real vacation". As it turns out though, ds 20 and dss 40 both have fond memories of going to Tennessee, so I guess it turned out okay for our kids.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I mostly want to see different wildlife from what is here. It's strange how fascinated I am by other people's birds and mammals. (Not really longing to see anyone else's reptiles or arachnids, though. ;))

When Kinsa posted that video about Big Bend being a unique center point for migrating birds, I was about ready to pack my car up and leave immediately, lol.

• Like 3

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota and other roadside America attractions.

I don't consider myself well traveled but have seen most of the domestic locations/things mentioned so far. Interesting that some of the things people really want to see I've taken for granted as just part of everyday life.

This is what I noticed too.  We're all very much a "product" of our location and what we've gotten used to doing/going.

I had a similar feeling when we were out on the Oregon coast talking with a fellow traveler.  When he learned we were from near Gettysburg he went on and on about how he loved that park and we were so lucky to live near it.  We hadn't actually been to the "park," but had been on parts of it because it's in town and impossible to miss.  The next spring we made sure to do the "park" with our guys.  It simply had been too close to home to seem like it was trip worthy.  It was just "home."

There are still things I want to see.  Can't say the big ball of twine is one of them... we have tons of twine in our barn.   :lol:  We have seen Wall Drug and the Corn Palace (from the outside anyway).  Is that close enough?

Didn't know you could see them from NY.   Sounds like there are a lot of places to see them in the US.  I was thinking of going to Iceland to see them. 

If I were going to plan a trip around hoping to see them, it would be to a more reliable area than NY.  No place is 100% reliable though.  I know folks who went places to see them and spent a week hoping to catch a glance, but they were a no show.  When I was young I had no idea how special it was to see them.  At least I did appreciate my dad waking me up to see them.  They are gorgeous.  I've seen them in green and red.  (Green is more common I think - at least I've seen more in green.)

I mostly want to see different wildlife from what is here. It's strange how fascinated I am by other people's birds and mammals. (Not really longing to see anyone else's reptiles or arachnids, though. ;))

When Kinsa posted that video about Big Bend being a unique center point for migrating birds, I was about ready to pack my car up and leave immediately, lol.

My favorite thing about AZ are the quail families in the spring. When we live in PA we'd hear birds, but rarely see them unless we threw birdseed out in the snow in the winter. Here, because it's desert the birds nest and feed right in your face. We have nests on our porches, swing sets and fence posts almost at eye level. Hummingbirds and finches drink nectar in the bushes right outside my window and aren't scared off when I get on the other side to look closely. There are so many hummingbirds out here! I didn't know that before I moved here.

But the quail, Oh my gosh. We have families that nest here every year. They go out for walks together, mama in front, babies in the middle, daddy in the back. They sound like chickens. You can tell the family groups by counting the babies. Then the next year some of the babies come back and nest.

ETA: Forgot the roadrunners! They are the coolest thing :) Literally run down the street just like in bugs bunny

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 3

We keep trying to see the Northern Lights from here.  There have been some good days for it (I get alerts on my phone) but I keep being busy or not seeing them due to weather.  I'll get there.  I like the sea and I like mountains, but I get a lot of that here.  We are going to Wester Ross at the beginning of October.  I've seen fireflies in the US.

I would like to go snorkelling on a coral reef again sometime.  I went on Kauai and it was wonderful.  We thought about visiting the Great Barrier Reef when we went to Australia but it was a difficult time of year (jellyfish, I think) so we didn't.

• Like 1

Apparently there are fireflies in TN that all blink at the same time. I think it only occurs for a brief period each summer. I want to see that.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/nature/fireflies.htm

WE have had 5.5 summers here in our house and one of those years, we had the whole forest with synchronizing fireflies.  Not sure why the one year only or if we just weren't outside then or at home when it happened.  It is magical (and much better since we aren't in crowds of people).

• Like 1

I really wanted to see the Duomo in Florence. I took a history of architecture class in college and became fascinated with it, and then read The Agony and the Ecstacy before my trip. It was just as amazing as I thought it would be.

(I think this counts as a "thing" because it was definitely the Duomo and not Italy/Florence that drew me there.)

Emily

• Like 1

I really wanted to see the Duomo in Florence. I took a history of architecture class in college and became fascinated with it, and then read The Agony and the Ecstacy before my trip. It was just as amazing as I thought it would be.

(I think this counts as a "thing" because it was definitely the Duomo and not Italy/Florence that drew me there.)

Emily

We were just there.  The Duomo was amazing.   

“I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains, and then find somewhere where I can rest. In peace and quiet, without a lot of relatives prying around, and a string of confounded visitors hanging on the bell. I might find somewhere where I can finish my book. I have thought of a nice ending for it: and he lived happily ever after to the end of his days.â€

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

SO much this.  My sister has a cabin in Vermont and I find myself longing to go.  I miss her and I miss the mountains.

This made me weepy.  I spent half my life trying to get to Colorado because I NEED to be in the mountains.  I just need to.  

Rudyard Kipling:  

â€œSomething hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges...Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!â€

But now that I live here, I can explore other places too!  We just got back from Moab, UT yesterday...

Edited by goldberry

Just got pics in from Petra and Wadi Run today.  How I wish I could make flight reservations now.  I might be a wee bit jealous of my youngest...  :coolgleamA:

We will get there - just need to work on the timing.

I'm in a mood today where I want to pare down to what hubby and I can carry in backpacks and set out with our passports in hand.

Just got pics in from Petra and Wadi Run today.  How I wish I could make flight reservations now.  I might be a wee bit jealous of my youngest...  :coolgleamA:

We will get there - just need to work on the timing.

I'm in a mood today where I want to pare down to what hubby and I can carry in backpacks and set out with our passports in hand.

Did your youngest get in?   I think that last time I heard it wasn't for sure. 

We just took small school backpacks on our trip to Europe.  It worked out great.  They were not even stuff full.  Even bringing home clothes and coats they bought there, each child's backpack was maybe half full.  And we were gone for weeks. Every trip we are not packing lighter and lighter.   

Edited by mommyoffive

Did your youngest get in?   I think that last time I heard it wasn't for sure.    

Yes, he is doing a Study Abroad semester in Amman, but the past couple of days his group has been exploring the area around Petra.  Today he sent us this short video of a camel ride into Wadi Rum.

We knew he was doing the study abroad, the only uncertainty was if it had been canceled due to world political and/or terrorism issues.  Fortunately, all is well at the moment.  Hopefully it will stay that way!

• Like 1

Yes, he is doing a Study Abroad semester in Amman, but the past couple of days his group has been exploring the area around Petra.  Today he sent us this short video of a camel ride into Wadi Rum.

We knew he was doing the study abroad, the only uncertainty was if it had been canceled due to world political and/or terrorism issues.  Fortunately, all is well at the moment.  Hopefully it will stay that way!

Congrats to him.  Time to start planning that trip. 

;)

• Like 1