Menu

Vacation question....What is something you would like to see? (not a place, but a thing?)

Tap

I have never taken a vacation that I planned or picked the destination of.  I have been to Hawaii 3x  (when other people planned it ) and am really over it. I have zero desire to go back. Over the next few years, I would like to plan a vacation that I want.  It doesn't have to be phenomenal, just something I choose.

I am not really into places so to speak.  Like SF, NYC, or NO. But, I would like to see some specific things in my lifetime.  I would love to see another Broadway Musical (I have seen Lion King and Wicked in Portland, Oregon).  It doesn't have to be in NYC, just that quality of production.

I really dislike parades with flower floats and middle school bands.... but would like to see a spectacular Mardi Gras or Carnival style event/parade.   More something with flamboyant adults having fun, instead of family friendly/suburbs/hometown style. 

I would love to see the Northern Lights and southern US fireflies. Simple things to lots of people, but I haven't seen either. Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, an iceberg in Alaska would all be on my list.

I hope to someday be in awe at the scale of pyramids, touch the Colosseum, and other notorious historical places but honestly those come behind USA travel because of $$ and the time involved in traveling to those types of places. If I went out of the country, I would probably pick Norway or Switzerland (I am Norwegian) to see fjords and the Alps.

It will be years before I can do any of this, but would like to start thinking about what I would like to do, so I can put a budget into place and actually make it happen. 

Is there anyThing that you would like to visit or see in your life time? 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 7

When I had time and money to travel I would pick certain short courses (1 - 2 weeks) in specific countries. I did an outdoor education course starting in Denmark and finishing in Iceland, where we paddled kayaks, rode Icelandic ponies, hiked in Iceland and bathed in natural hot springs. It was amazing! We saw some sights as well, but the experience of learning new things, and getting to know people within the course was fantastic! 

I also did an African drumming and dancing course in Denmark, a language course in Estonia, a sailing course in the Oslo Fjord, and a skiing instructor certification course in Norway in July (on a glacier). My friend took a weaving course in Denmark. 

I'd love to do this kind of thing again. Sure it's great to SEE something interesting, but I found it even more memorable to do and learn and interact with people. 

• Like 6

I am hoping to get Petra in this year.  It will be dependent upon youngest's son schedule while in Jordan.

Otherwise, I really want to see Victoria and Iguazu falls (different trips, of course).

I want to dive with Whale Sharks someday.

And I've yet to see the Southern Cross.

A safari in Africa is in my bucket too.

My bucket is full - those are the things that come to mind at the moment.  I'm sure there are plenty not coming to mind that I'd jump at given unlimited funds.

• Like 1

I would love to see the Northern Lights and southern US fireflies. Simple things to lots of people, but I haven't seen either. Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, an iceberg in Alaska would all be on my list.

Where do you live that doesn't have fireflies? Every place I've lived, north and south, has had them. I was so curious I went to look it up. According to this website, they aren't found west of Kansas. I had no idea!

http://www.firefly.org/firefly-habitat.html

• Like 7

Grand Canyon

Mount Rushmore

Crazy Horse

Yellowstone

National parks out west

The Alamo

Lights on Vegas strip

Northern lights

Route 66....various sites along way

New Orleans, mardi gras, historic sites

Niagara Falls

And more.

I want to see snow capped mountains, beautiful trees in all their colors in the fall. I want to experience culture thru sites and food.

• Like 2

When I had time and money to travel I would pick certain short courses (1 - 2 weeks) in specific countries. I did an outdoor education course starting in Denmark and finishing in Iceland, where we paddled kayaks, rode Icelandic ponies, hiked in Iceland and bathed in natural hot springs. It was amazing! We saw some sights as well, but the experience of learning new things, and getting to know people within the course was fantastic! 

I also did an African drumming and dancing course in Denmark, a language course in Estonia, a sailing course in the Oslo Fjord, and a skiing instructor certification course in Norway in July (on a glacier). My friend took a weaving course in Denmark. 

I'd love to do this kind of thing again. Sure it's great to SEE something interesting, but I found it even more memorable to do and learn and interact with people. 

Where did you find these courses? They sound fabulous!

• Like 4

I want to see the bats fly out from the Austin bridge.

I want to see sea turtles hatch (there are a number of places where this is possible, but none near here).

I also want to see the monarchs over-winter.

I also want to see the Northern Lights.

I have seen geysers.

I have seen penguins molt.

I have gone diving the night the coral spawned.

And there are thousands of fireflies right here in my own back yard.  Recently we had visitors from Iran stay with us; the 5 yo girl sat outside on the patio, transfixed with them, trembling with joy.  So I have known magic, already.  There's always more magic out there, though... and it's good to go forth and chase it, while we can.

• Like 7

Where did you find these courses? They sound fabulous!

The Danish courses were organized through Folk High Schools in Denmark. There are many in the country, and some schools offer short courses for adults and families in the summer. They are usually in Danish language, but they have international participants as well.  Here's a link: http://danishfolkhighschools.com/

• Like 1

Where do you live that doesn't have fireflies? Every place I've lived, north and south, has had them. I was so curious I went to look it up. According to this website, they aren't found west of Kansas. I had no idea!

PNW.  Oregon/Washington.

I have seen a faint dusting of them in Texas but they were across a lake, so it was very faint.  Almost like if you looked to close you couldn't see them at all, but had to catch them in your peripheral vision instead.  I would like to actually see an abundance of them. 

• Like 1

Southern Cross

Egypt: Giza, Luxor, Rameseum, Saqqara - perhaps a tour on the Nile from Cairo to Luxor

Scottish Highlands

Wales

The Aleutian Islands

Cape of Good Hope

You can see the Northern Lights sometimes on transcontinental flights - doesn't have to be a destination unless you want it to be.

• Like 1

I have a very similar feeling to the OP on this.  And I'm starting to make plans to make things happen.  I get it.  

I've decided that 60yo women (like me) are pretty scary...done doing what Should Be Done and looking hard a What I Really Want to Do and See.  And meaning it.  

Most of the things I want to do are to *be* somewhere.  For like at least 2 weeks.  The Appalachians.  Not all over the Appalachians, but in one place and just THERE.  Homer Alaska.  Glacier National Park.  Acadia National Park.  The Border Country of Scotland.  Oxford.  

I really really want to do a walking tour in England and I need to get on that asap because I am not getting any younger.  You know, like Harriet Vane did in Have His Carcass.  But without the carcass.  

I would like to live in a Paris apartment for 6 weeks.  Same with Italy-on-the-Mediterranean.  Increasingly, I would like to visit Russia and the Holy Land, with the right tour guides.  

I didn't usta care about so much of this.  But now I would like to see it.  

Rainforest of Washington state, that's a thing

Liberty Bell and other historic stuff in Philadelphia

Hot Air Balloon festival Albuquerque, to me that is a thing.

I grew up with lightning bugs. They prefer damper more temperate areas, the mid-Atlantic, Pennsylvania and Maryland.

We saw the northern lights in MD once.

Walk back through the cities where I know ancestors lived, here in the U.S. and in Europe. 

The week of summer in Alaska.

Sail the intracoastal waterway from NJ to TX

The snow monkeys in Japan

• Like 1

Apparently there are fireflies in TN that all blink at the same time. I think it only occurs for a brief period each summer. I want to see that.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/nature/fireflies.htm

• Like 3

I really really want to do a walking tour in England and I need to get on that asap because I am not getting any younger.  You know, like Harriet Vane did in Have His Carcass.  But without the carcass.  

You might want to look into HF walking holidays. I did one many years ago and have been meaning to go back. Haven't managed it yet but it is definitely on my to do list. Most weeks offer various day hikes, but there are also some that follow long distance hiking trails (I think they return to the same house every night though). I really like these because they give you a bit of "culture immersion" (at least when I went) with typical food, mostly British vacationers, country houses etc. And as far as I know there are no carcasses involved.

• Like 1

I checked off some of these this summer because I saw a total solar eclipse and Samarqand, Bukhara, and Khiva. Those have been on my list for a very long time.

I want to see the Northern and Southern Lights. I want to see more geysers all over the world, especially in Tibet and Kamchatka. The places where all of my ancestors lived. Isands. Pretty much all of the islands in the whole world. Emperor penguins in Antarctica. The site of the Tunguska event. Madain Saleh. Go inside Notre Dame. So many caves and waterfalls all over the world. Sit inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre with my children and in the auditorium of the BYU Jerusalem Center. The stone churches in Ethiopia. Ride every bit of the public transit in Istanbul. Rain forests. A superbloom in the Atacama Desert. Walk the Inca Trail. Bike the Karakoram Highway. Attend Holy Week services in a Chaldean Church in Iraq. The Wakhan Corridor. Wander safely around Afghanistan and Syria. Sail through straits. Stand on the tip of Africa and South America. See the Himalayas. Look at the old Aral Sea bed. Put my feet into Lake Baykal. Watch reindeer herders in Siberia. Watch repairs to the Djinguereber Mosque and read manuscripts from Timbuktu. Flamingos in Kenya....

I also want to eat certain things in many, many places.

• Like 5

PNW.  Oregon/Washington.

I have seen a faint dusting of them in Texas but they were across a lake, so it was very faint.  Almost like if you looked to close you couldn't see them at all, but had to catch them in your peripheral vision instead.  I would like to actually see an abundance of them. 

Come to our farm in the second half of June.  We have them all summer long (saw one shivering last night on a walk), but at their peak, there are thousands.  It literally looks like Christmas trees all lit up with more flying in the air.  You won't be the first visitor transfixed.  We live here and still love just walking and taking it all in.

• Like 2

She went walking in North Devon.  There is now an official coastal path:

https://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/

I walked bits of it two years ago.

• Like 3

Keep them coming. 

I feel a huge desire to do and see things.  You just never know right? 

We just got back from Dh's number 1 bucket list location.  Rome.  Although it wasn't mine I am so happy I went to see those things.  I know we will go back to see more.  We hit a bunch of other cities and countries while we were there too.  Lots of times we go on trips that are not on my bucket list and then when we get there I realize that they should have been on there.  

It just builds my desire to see more of the world while I can. 

Africa

Japan

China

Those are my top

• Like 2

Some of my dream vacations are based on things I want to see....

...the Northern Lights

...a field full of heather flowers in Scotland

Hmmm, I guess that's actually it as far as specific things. One I marked off my list was the koalas at the San Diego Zoo....oh my word, it was more fabulous than I dreamed. 

Anyway, yes, I can relate. 

And you should try for Rio for Carnaval.....although I imagine maybe there are similar events in New Orleans, but....if you want the adults having fun and being flamboyant....Rio is definitely the one you want. 

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing.  I didn't know they weren't everywhere, we have them all over in NJ.

I want to go out west and visit all the National parks. Rent an RV and camp for 3 or 4 weeks while visiting different places. 

I want to see the Redwoods in California.

We are planning one of those two trips in two years if everything works out okay.

I want to go on a cruise to Alaska (which may also cover the Northern Lights).

I would like to go back to Greece, we went about 6 years ago when dh went on a business trip.  It was too short, we were only there 4 days.

• Like 1

<snip>

<snip>

I did the Coast to Coast trip in 1992 (with the Sierra Club).  I was 36 years old and the youngest in the group by at least 10 years. (And it was kind of fun being the baby of the group.)  There were many people in their 70s.  So you have a little time.   It was one of the greatest things I have ever done, and if I had the chance I'd do it again.  

As for my things rather than places... I can only think of places.

Niagara Falls is a place but also thing, I guess. I have seen it but I would love to see it with my family.   Ellis Island is a place but also a thing, right?  I'd like to go there, which is kind of pathetic considering I live less than 3 hours away. 

ETA:  Machu Picchu but again that's a place. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

PNW. Oregon/Washington.

I have seen a faint dusting of them in Texas but they were across a lake, so it was very faint. Almost like if you looked to close you couldn't see them at all, but had to catch them in your peripheral vision instead. I would like to actually see an abundance of them.

We have them & have seen them up close, as in landing on me and in my house. But I still love seeing them. One night we went out to my stepmoms to watch a metor shower. Her field was COVERED in fireflies. It was amazing.

• Like 2

Yes China.  I forgot about that this morning.  I want to walk on the Great Wall, see the Terra Cotta Warriors, and see the Stone Forest.  (I know, all of those are far away from each other making this a fairly long China trip, but such is life. :coolgleamA: )

It's weird/unusual, but I also want to see the Crooked Forest in Poland:

https://weather.com/science/nature/news/poland-crooked-forest-mystery-still-unexplained

I learned about it while teaching a Plant & Animal Science class long term at school.

It surprises me that so many have never seen the Northern Lights.  It makes sense when I think about it, but when one grows up with something as "fairly normal," it's pretty "human" to just assume "everyone has seen it" until one thinks about it.  I still recall my first time when I was probably about 4 and my dad woke me up to show me a particularly pretty one in the sky.

• Like 1

I'd love to see some really big, gorgeous waterfalls.

Any really beautiful, grand, snow capped mountains.

I'd like to stand in lots of snow, as I've only been in it up to my ankles/lower legs. Sledding would be nice too.

Lighthouses

Lots of Mountains that are the absolute perfect fall shades and colors.

Glaciers.

Whales.

There are just so many beautiful things to see in this world, isn't there?!!

There are synchronous fireflies in the Great Smokey Mountains. They flash in unison. I really want to see them!

http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Synchronous-fireflies-light-up-again-at-Great-Smoky-Mountains-National-Park--381464561.html

• Like 3

Yes China.  I forgot about that this morning.  I want to walk on the Great Wall, see the Terra Cotta Warriors, and see the Stone Forest.  (I know, all of those are far away from each other making this a fairly long China trip, but such is life. :coolgleamA: )

It's weird/unusual, but I also want to see the Crooked Forest in Poland:

https://weather.com/science/nature/news/poland-crooked-forest-mystery-still-unexplained

I learned about it while teaching a Plant & Animal Science class long term at school.

It surprises me that so many have never seen the Northern Lights.  It makes sense when I think about it, but when one grows up with something as "fairly normal," it's pretty "human" to just assume "everyone has seen it" until one thinks about it.  I still recall my first time when I was probably about 4 and my dad woke me up to show me a particularly pretty one in the sky.

A common one that we take for granted is that not everyone has seen an ocean IRL.  We are just over an hour from the ocean and while we are not in a coastal community, I can't think of anyone IRL that hasn't seen an ocean.  

When I lived in Austin, Texas, it wasn't quite as common since the ocean is 3.5+ hours away. An 8 hour drive (in Texas heat) makes it a lot harder for people to do as a day trip, and still enjoy much time when they are there. 

• Like 2

A common one that we take for granted is that not everyone has seen an ocean IRL.  We are just over an hour from the ocean and while we are not in a coastal community, I can't think of anyone IRL that hasn't seen an ocean.  

When I lived in Austin, Texas, it wasn't quite as common since the ocean is 3.5+ hours away. An 8 hour drive (in Texas heat) makes it a lot harder for people to do as a day trip, and still enjoy much time when they are there. 

An ocean from more than one spot is even more impressive - knowing it's the same body of water.

Some other things I take for granted (from my youth) that not everyone has seen are palm trees, large forests, snow (real stuff), large cities, mountains, animals of all sorts, and similar.  Where we live now most kids have seen most of those (except maybe palm trees), but in other places we've lived that wasn't the case.  What we've seen as kids is very much related to where we live and where our parents took us traveling.

It's been fun discovering things as an adult - things I've always wanted to see.  I'm sure you're going to love it.  I hope you get to go to many, many places.

Ă¢â‚¬Å“I want to see mountains again, Gandalf, mountains, and then find somewhere where I can rest. In peace and quiet, without a lot of relatives prying around, and a string of confounded visitors hanging on the bell. I might find somewhere where I can finish my book. I have thought of a nice ending for it: and he lived happily ever after to the end of his days.Ă¢â‚¬

Ă¢â‚¬â€¢ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

SO much this.  My sister has a cabin in Vermont and I find myself longing to go.  I miss her and I miss the mountains.

• Like 3

I have never taken a vacation that I planned or picked the destination of.  I have been to Hawaii 3x  (when other people planned it ) and am really over it. I have zero desire to go back. Over the next few years, I would like to plan a vacation that I want.  It doesn't have to be phenomenal, just something I choose.

I am not really into places so to speak.  Like SF, NYC, or NO. But, I would like to see some specific things in my lifetime.  I would love to see another Broadway Musical (I have seen Lion King and Wicked in Portland, Oregon).  It doesn't have to be in NYC, just that quality of production.

I really dislike parades with flower floats and middle school bands.... but would like to see a spectacular Mardi Gras or Carnival style event/parade.   More something with flamboyant adults having fun, instead of family friendly/suburbs/hometown style. 

I hope to someday be in awe at the scale of pyramids, touch the Colosseum, and other notorious historical places but honestly those come behind USA travel because of $$ and the time involved in traveling to those types of places. If I went out of the country, I would probably pick Norway or Switzerland (I am Norwegian) to see fjords and the Alps.

It will be years before I can do any of this, but would like to start thinking about what I would like to do, so I can put a budget into place and actually make it happen. 

I would love to see fireflies and the Northern Lights.

This list is so fun, it makes me feel like I have seen some neat things (even if just in the USA)

Fireflies - check (saw them in Maryland all the time when visiting my sister. Less often in Northern VA.  Never saw them before we moved to DC)

Old Faithful and Lake Jenny in the Tetons

Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, and Wall Drug

Northern Lights  (saw in Rapid City, South Dakota, occasionally they are strong enough to see down that way.)

Eclipse 

Redwood Forest 

Multnomah Falls and Niagara Falls and Yosemite Falls 

Climbed Half Dome

The Capital Mall and parts of the Appalachian Trail 

NYC 

The Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen

I've seen whales in HI and scuba dived (dove?) with manta ray.  Climbed a light house on the Outer Banks. Collected pebbles at Pebble Beach in CA. I saw a mountain lion and elk in the Black Hills.  Snow and lava on the Big Island.  

My husband's Air Force career has not taken us to many exotic places, but I guess we have seen some awesome things!

We live just a few hours from Devil's Tower but I've never been there.  That's a goal for this fall.  Next year I want to go to Glacier National Forest and maybe even go see Banff.

• Like 2

I have never taken a vacation that I planned or picked the destination of. I have been to Hawaii 3x (when other people planned it ) and am really over it. I have zero desire to go back. Over the next few years, I would like to plan a vacation that I want. It doesn't have to be phenomenal, just something I choose.

I am not really into places so to speak. Like SF, NYC, or NO. But, I would like to see some specific things in my lifetime. I would love to see another Broadway Musical (I have seen Lion King and Wicked in Portland, Oregon). It doesn't have to be in NYC, just that quality of production.

I really dislike parades with flower floats and middle school bands.... but would like to see a spectacular Mardi Gras or Carnival style event/parade. More something with flamboyant adults having fun, instead of family friendly/suburbs/hometown style.

Tap, you can come see Niagara Falls and lightning bugs at the same time! Unless Southern lightning bugs are different from our upstate ones? [emoji4]

Just saw all the other posts about lightning bugs - I had no idea they didn't love in other places! Crazy!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Edited by Mrs_JWM
  • Like 1

Has anyone seen the Northern lights?   Where did you do it? 

From my yard.  Far northern NY gets them relatively often, esp in the spring on crisp clear nights.  My dad would wake me up.

We've seen them two or three times here in PA too, but that's far more rare.

To travel to see them is tricky because one needs a solar flare (or similar activity) to have happened and those aren't super predictable.  It helps to be flexible with travel.  I have a notification sent to me when conditions are likely.  I don't recall who sends it TBH or I'd share it with you.  The closer to the poles you are, the more likely it is to be viewable.

Here's a good article for a start:

https://www.space.com/32601-where-to-see-northern-lights.html

Space.com might be the site that sends me notifications.  It's something like that.

I would love to stay in a place with a nice sandy beach but then woods and mountains in the back.....oh,and it can't be too hot....80 max during the day, 50s at night. Even hoodie weather is fine.

Speaking as someone who is in Missouri now where it will be 90 our entire trip.....and some other ladies at the hotel tonight told me it was so "cold" here last week and never got above 70. That would have been perfect for me.

The Northern Lights

The Southern Cross

Route 66

Old Faithful

The Giant's Causeway

The canals of Venice

The Great Wall

Those are just off the top of my head. There are a lot of places but I had to think about things.

Fireflies were common in NJ, even in the city. Here in Florida not so much. We'll occasionally see one or two and those are rare sightings. I miss fireflies even after all these years.

A common one that we take for granted is that not everyone has seen an ocean IRL.  We are just over an hour from the ocean and while we are not in a coastal community,

Also snow. I know people in FL who have never seen snow. My 20yo has only seen it twice and the first time he was too young to remember.

From my yard.  Far northern NY gets them relatively often, esp in the spring on crisp clear nights.  My dad would wake me up.

We've seen them two or three times here in PA too, but that's far more rare.

To travel to see them is tricky because one needs a solar flare (or similar activity) to have happened and those aren't super predictable.  It helps to be flexible with travel.  I have a notification sent to me when conditions are likely.  I don't recall who sends it TBH or I'd share it with you.  The closer to the poles you are, the more likely it is to be viewable.

Here's a good article for a start:

https://www.space.com/32601-where-to-see-northern-lights.html

Space.com might be the site that sends me notifications.  It's something like that.

Didn't know you could see them from NY.   Sounds like there are a lot of places to see them in the US.  I was thinking of going to Iceland to see them. 

• Like 1

My DH's travel plans are always about visiting people, but I like to travel to see/do things.

I would love to go to the volcanos in Hawaii, and I have always wanted to visit Australia, but realistically I have to stick to places I can reach by car.

My bucket list includes Glacier National Park and Yosemite. I also would like to go to take the mule ride to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

A few years ago, I did start planning trips and my DS and I had some great road trips without DH (he wants to save his vacation days for other things). Unfortunately for me DS has gotten to the age where his summer plans make a vacation together impossible. I haven't gotten up the nerve to travel all by myself yet, but I am going to test that out in the fall when I have a work conference in Orlando. I am planning to stay two extra days all by myself after the conference.

I have a friend who is about to sell her house and live in a RV full time. That is my ultimate goal (with a beach house on the side)