Menu

A Patriot's History vs. Hip Hughes

My son is currently a junior in Classical Conversation Challenge 3 and is struggling to keep up with the workload.  

The assigned text for US History is A Patriot's History by Schweikart and Allen. It is and excellent and comprehensive book, starting with Columbus and going through the War on Terror.  However, it is a TON of reading on top of the research papers and speeches that correspond to this subject (not to mention the heavy workload in every other subject as well).  

I'm considering using this book as a guide to the subject matter being discussed in class, but instead of having my son read the book, having him watch the Hip Hughes YouTube videos that correspond to the chapter topics and use that information for his research papers and speeches.   

Is there anyone out there with experience in both resources that might be able to share some pros and cons with this idea?  Just trying to figure out a way to make this manageable!   

Thanks!!  

There is more reading than hours in the day in college. Your son needs to learn to skim and time manage. There are a number of study skills websites that can help with strategies.

Videos are hard to skim unless they are clearly chaptered and the website lets you adjust playback speed. I don't think the Hughes videos would match the Patriot book's perspective/politics, though of course basic historical facts would be the same.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I did some more digging and found an outline page with the highlights for each chapter in Patriot's History.  For this semester, I think I'll go ahead and make some notes on topics I expect him to take notes on, then work on the skimming skills over break and let him try out those skills on his own in the spring semester.  He is definitely not a skimmer, but a contemplative reader. Good in its own right, but makes it tough to get through thick texts.   Thanks again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.  I did some more digging and found an outline page with the highlights for each chapter in Patriot's History.  For this semester, I think I'll go ahead and make some notes on topics I expect him to take notes on, then work on the skimming skills over break and let him try out those skills on his own in the spring semester.  He is definitely not a skimmer, but a contemplative reader. Good in its own right, but makes it tough to get through thick texts.   Thanks again. 

Could you tell us where you found the highlights for Patriot's History?  I may be using this in the near future.  Thanks!

• 4 months later...