Menu

PSAT....update in post #17

Excelsior! Academy

How do I sign up my Junior?  She attends the local career tech in a STEM program and as such the career tech said we could use their school code in lieu of the homeschool one.  Our local school district has 3 high schools.  The one she would attend if she were in public is taking the alternate test date and won't sign anyone up yet "because the kids will forget between now and then."  The administrator also told me that x school, also in the district, rarely purchases enough tests for their students so it isn't likely dd will get in, though they are testing on the regular date. (How could they not order enough for their own students!?)  A school in the next town over has (finally!) returned my call and is "researching it."  

It is very likely she will come close to testing for National Merit Scholar and I am befuzzled on how to get her to registered.  My eldest didn't have these problems and was able to test.  The second oldest never tested.  Why can't it just be like the ACT where one just registers on the College Board and picks a test site!?

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Last year I had my DS take the PSAT at a local private school.   I had called our local public school and talked to a guidance counselor who wasn't very helpful and couldn't commit to having space for homeschoolers.  I hung up the phone and called the private school, who were thrilled to accommodate homeschooled students.   

Last week (before the hurricane madness) I called our local public school again, spoke to a different guidance counselor who was very friendly, and DS is now signed up to take the PSAT there in October.

I guess my experience would lead me to tell you to call some local private schools in your area.   Hopefully you can find one who will help you.   I would also call ALL of the public schools in your district.   I also wish the registration process was the same as the SAT or ACT.

• Like 4

Keep calling; private schools can be a good resource, but many of them only order exactly the right number for their students and may not have an extra. I actually never had a problem getting my daughter in to the local public high school, but I know that's rare.  But on another topic, why would you want to use the STEM program's school code instead of the homeschool code?  That means the results will go to the STEM program, not to you.  

• Like 2

I'd recommend finding a public or private or charter high school near you that is happy to work with homeschoolers and sign up with that school. (You can go to ANY high school -- it does NOT have to be in your district, or be the school your student would attend if you weren't homeschooling.) Go to the school office and request to sign up. I suggest paying at that time and getting a receipt to make sure a spot and a test are reserved for your student.

re: not having enough tests

My guess is that in this specific case, because the test is being given on the alternative date, they expect JUST overflow or students who missed the regular date for some reason. A school is not going to pay for tons tests and proctors to give the test on the alternative date. ;)

Also, a school may turn you down because they don't have enough room. There are strict requirements about room size, spacing between desks, and number of proctors, so some schools only have just enough room and personnel to handle their own students.

re: school or homeschool code

I suggest NOT using the school's code, as the scores will go directly to the school, AND will be included as part of the school's statistics. For the scores to come directly to you, have your student use the homsechool code for your state.

Here is the College Board info on how to sign up for the PSAT as a homeschooler. I would NOT wait much longer! Schools place their orders for the tests in the last week of Sept/first week of Oct., and it may take you several days of trying to find a local school that will work with you. Good luck! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I was fighting this battle last week.  I have the boy signed up through a charter and they have been infinitely more helpful than the handful of regular public schools I called where everyone was incompetent.  One lady told me one particular school only ran the PSAT in the spring.  I don't think so and that school was listed as running it on the college board search tool as having it October 11.  Yikes.  He tested through a charter last year too though they aren't running it this year.   They even called me back and gave me some suggestions. 

I don't know about my kid and NM but he scored very high last year so it's a worth a try anyway!

Keep calling; private schools can be a good resource, but many of them only order exactly the right number for their students and may not have an extra. I actually never had a problem getting my daughter in to the local public high school, but I know that's rare.  But on another topic, why would you want to use the STEM program's school code instead of the homeschool code?  That means the results will go to the STEM program, not to you.  

We were told by the STEM school that the PSAT fees would be covered if we used their code.  It doesn't really matter to me either way, especially because the $ would be worth it.  

... I have the boy signed up through a charter and they have been infinitely more helpful than the handful of regular public schools I called where everyone was incompetent.  One lady told me one particular school only ran the PSAT in the spring.  I don't think so and that school was listed as running it on the college board search tool as having it October 11.  Yikes...

If your student is 9th or 10th grade (or if she thought your student was 9th or 10th), she may have been referring to the PSAT8/9 or PSAT10, which are specifically geared for pre-11th grade students, and ARE only given in the spring. If a school gives those versions, they may not allow anyone but 11th graders to take the actual PSAT-NMSQT when they give that one in the fall.

And, of course, she may have been confused or mistaken, or misunderstood you... ;)

Good luck to your student! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We were told by the STEM school that the PSAT fees would be covered if we used their code.  It doesn't really matter to me either way, especially because the $ would be worth it.  

For 2017, the PSAT-NMSQT is $16 per test. Some schools charge an additional $5-10 free to help defray their costs of proctors and setting up rooms, etc. I agree that it's worth it -- and if a different school than the STEM-school is more helpful to you, it is WAAAAYYY worth spending $20-25 for peace of mind and helpfulness, esp. to get on the school's list NOW to guarantee a spot :)

BEST of luck to your student! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Definitely call around tomorrow. I have to call tomorrow to verify DD has a spot at the school she took it at last year. It is one district over because the local school won't let anyone but their registered full time juniors take it there. 

I think schools (inside the US) have until September 22nd to add more tests to their order. So, I'm calling THIS WEEK to make sure they order enough for DD. This is a really small school & there are only 3-4 kids who take it. DD was in cozy seating conditions last year. The guidance counselor said they'd just put kids on the floor if they didn't have enough space at her little desk in her office.  :driving:

You might have to call several schools. You definitely want to use the homeschool code so you get the results. Last year, they didn't actually have the kids bubble in the homeschool code as they'd changed the answer sheets to have a "homeschool" bubble specifically. When it gets closer to the date, someone on here (on the regular high school board, probably) will help us clueless people out with how to fill it out. And we can pass along the info to our kids.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 3

If your student is 9th or 10th grade (or if she thought your student was 9th or 10th), she may have been referring to the PSAT8/9 or PSAT10, which are specifically geared for pre-11th grade students, and ARE only given in the spring. If a school gives those versions, they may not allow anyone but 11th graders to take the actual PSAT-NMSQT when they give that one in the fall.

And, of course, she may have been confused or mistaken, or misunderstood you... ;)

Good luck to your student! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Nope - I specifically mentioned my son was a junior and he wanted to take the PSAT for national merit qualification.  And that's only one story of incompetence I got making phone calls last week.  :tongue_smilie: :lol:

We were told by the STEM school that the PSAT fees would be covered if we used their code. It doesn't really matter to me either way, especially because the $ would be worth it.

If your kid is very high scoring and you think is in the running for NMS, the homeschool code might be a better option.

If you use the homeschool code not only will the scores come directly to you, but also you will be treated as the principal for the National Merit paperwork. If you use the school code it would go to them. You would then have to rely on their willingness and ability to complete the school side of the application paperwork (transcript and recommendation).

• Like 7

We've been able to take the PSAT through our zoned public high school. The student has to be in 10th or 11th grade to register for the regular PSAT, which is the one we want. They charge us $28 for the PSAT.

Definitely use the home school code, esp if your student could be in the running for National Merit recognition, as Sebastian pointed out! Public schools are not at all set up to deal with home schoolers, at least in CA. I imagine that, in any state, a home schooler would be at the bottom of a public school counselor's list as far as notification, following up on any issues, etc.

The last day we can register is Sept 19th, so call your schools now!

• Like 1

In addition to all private, public, and charter schools, try calling any after-schooling centers and tutoring centers and any place that is related to education and serves students.  You never know.  

Tell them you are willing to pay any registration and proctoring fees.  Tell them your student does not require accommodations.  If you live in a state where schools are not required to offer you services, be really really nice.  

If your kid is very high scoring and you think is in the running for NMS, the homeschool code might be a better option.

If you use the homeschool code not only will the scores come directly to you, but also you will be treated as the principal for the National Merit paperwork. If you use the school code it would go to them. You would then have to rely on their willingness and ability to complete the school side of the application paperwork (transcript and recommendation).

Wow, thanks for this info. I had not thought this through with my older ds, but he didn't get NMS anyway (just commended). My younger ds is taking the PSAT in October. He may not score night enough for NMS, but it's not impossible that he would. I think we'll have him put the homeschool code just in case. I think dealing with the transcript would be difficult.

It looks like they are not doing the homeschool code again this year. I grabbed this from the PSAT Admin manual for 2017. (Bolding is mine. From pgs 24-25 of manual or 29-30 of PDF.)

If you have students who are not from your school, say:

If you are homeschooled, fill in the bubble that says, â€œNo, I am homeschooled,†and do not enter any other information in box 26.
If this is not the school you regularly attend and you are not homeschooled, fill in the third bubble, and enter the name and address of your school.
For box 27, say:
In box 27, enter your school code. If you attend this school, I have posted our school code in the front of the room. Other school codes for anyone who needs one are also listed. If you are homeschooled, please leave box 27 blank

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 6