Menu

SOTW -- if you have the first print activity guide

AimeeM

My activity book (for volume 1) has a copyright date of 2002. Since it doesn't say revised on the front, I'm assuming it is the first printing.

I need additional student pages (three sets total) and I'm assuming the student pages listed on the WTM site are for much more current versions.

If you used the first printing of the activity guide, when newer versions were out, did you just take your AG to the copier and copy the entirety of the student pages? 

How different are the more current versions? If I bought the most current student pages, would it match up to the rest of the AG? To the actual text I have on hand (also first printing, I believe)?

Yes, I did take my AGs to the printers the first time around, leaving the whole student pages intact so that they could be used again. I assume most of the student pages line up. I have seen two different versions of vol. 2. I had one that I destroyed and had to borrow one from a friend a few years ago. Hers was older than mine, and I did notice that the coloring were obviously different, but the activities and work seemed to be basically the same. I don't have two copies to compare though. Like I said, I destroyed my original and have since given back the borrowed copy. 

I've been able to make it work without many problems.  Most of the changes were cleaning up and tweaking activities.  For example, a map I have in the vol. 2 guide (first edition) has dot-to-dots for the student to do for the outline, but the pdf I have (second edition) has a dotted line to simply trace. 

If you are curious about the changes from the original and revised version in the Textbook...most are just slight changing of wording, but you can see some examples of more substantive changes in the first 5 chapters here:  http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/12/below-is-list-of-substantive-changes-i.html

There are no huge changes like whole chapters changed and such.  There's a few updates to change for new information, and a few corrections.

I have an old activity guide in a three ring binder that someone kindly gave me for free, but a new textbook (purchased in 2009.. is there a newer edition than that?). I decided to buy the PDF of just the student pages when it was my daughter's turn. I don't do the activities so I can't speak to that. But I rarely have any problems. Once or twice we couldn't do the map activity because the instructions didn't jive with the map she had in front of her. Once or twice there were narration questions that dd couldn't answer because the topic wasn't covered in the new edition (which I guess is a difference with the textbook and not the student pages). But personally the problems are minimal enough that it wouldn't have been worth it to me to replace the activity guide to match my textbook. And the coloring pages and maps are sooo much nicer in the new that I don't regret buying the new student pages, either.