What's with the ads?

#51 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6724 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

Thank you for adding this onto your post about Schole Academy. We're religious people, but we prefer mostly secular classes. (We don't mind a prayer at the beginning.) This information helps me to know that Schole Academy is off our list of providers. It would just be too much "liturgical" extras. But I can see where some people would really like this approach.

Anyone who is considering Schole Academy should carefully read the FAQ and the Student Handbook. Their classes are distinctly Christian and anyone signing up for that needs to be aware of that and what their pedagogical approach is and their vision for schole. There is always opening and closing prayers, Scripture reading and discussion of the reading from Scripture in my son's class.

• SeaConquest likes this

#52 SeaConquest

SeaConquest

Advocatus Diaboli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2787 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your comments about Schole Academy. They are very helpful. I'm still trying to decide between W&R/Schole, Bravewriter, WTMA, or OG3/MCT for writing for next year (4th grade).  

• RootAnn likes this

#53 mom2vikha

mom2vikha

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

DD second year online classes:
WHA geometry with Mrs. Smith
WTMA physics Mrs. Nallakumar
WTMA history story of Middle Ages
Integritas academy ( Mrs. Cindy Lange) writing
Clrc intermediate Latin

She is in love with all her classes. Teachers are extremely helpful. Each course is rigorous.
  • RootAnn likes this

#54 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

I am looking at possibly putting my ds12 into Latin 1 at WHA or CAP (Schole Academy) next year (fall 2018). That would be using the Latin Alive book 1.  Can anyone comment on these options/teachers?  Also, would you complete LFC-C first (he will be 7th grade)?

Edited by cintinative, 29 September 2017 - 11:12 AM.

• RootAnn likes this

#55 fourisenough

fourisenough

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1936 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

I am looking at possibly putting my ds12 into Latin 1 at WHA or CAP (Schole Academy) next year (fall 2018). That would be using the Latin Alive book 1. Can anyone comment on these options/teachers? Also, would you complete LFC-C first (he will be 7th grade)?

My DD12 is in WHA's Latin 1 with Mrs. Salmon with no previous Latin background. I would say a very thorough grounding in English grammar would be great preparation (perhaps better than what you could learn in one year with an elementary Latin curriculum? Not really sure...). So far, so good. The teacher is organized, seems to have good classroom management skills, and uses the in-class time wisely. I would say DD spends 20-30 minutes per day working on Latin outside of class. She is very efficient and motivated, so YMMV. It's too early to give a full review, but we are happy with it at this point.
  • RootAnn, ScoutTN and cintinative like this

#56 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7326 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

I am looking at possibly putting my ds12 into Latin 1 at WHA or CAP (Schole Academy) next year (fall 2018). That would be using the Latin Alive book 1.  Can anyone comment on these options/teachers?  Also, would you complete LFC-C first (he will be 7th grade)?

I can't comment on the online courses, but I can on LA after LfC. 

My dd did SSL and LfC A and B. The transition to LA1 is no problem for her this year in 7th. We are doing the dvd lessons. With a 7th grader, I think LfC C is too babyish. LA takes 3 years to do the basic grammar that most Latin courses do in 2 years of high school, so the pace is good for middle school. We are in week 10 and so far, much of it is review. 

• RootAnn and cintinative like this

#57 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:52 PM

WHA has a Latin Fundamentals class that they offer in the summer for any students who have little Latin background. They use Latin Alive for their Rhetoric level classes.

• RootAnn likes this

#58 h2bh

h2bh

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

My DD12 is in WHA's Latin 1 with Mrs. Salmon with no previous Latin background. I would say a very thorough grounding in English grammar would be great preparation (perhaps better than what you could learn in one year with an elementary Latin curriculum? Not really sure...). So far, so good. The teacher is organized, seems to have good classroom management skills, and uses the in-class time wisely. I would say DD spends 20-30 minutes per day working on Latin outside of class. She is very efficient and motivated, so YMMV. It's too early to give a full review, but we are happy with it at this point.

My son had Mrs. Salmon last year for Latin 1 at WHA.  It was a good class and prepared him well for this year.  Prior to that he had LFC A and most of B at home.  I would not bother with C, but would go ahead and move into Latin 1.  Latin 1 starts from the beginning and doesn't assume previous knowledge so one wouldn't be behind jumping in there.  I agree that Mrs. Salmon is very organized and gives the kids lots of practice in class with the fundamentals of Latin so that they have the tools to move on and be successful.  

• RootAnn, ScoutTN and cintinative like this

#59 mamamoose

mamamoose

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:44 PM

Thank you for this. None of the other classes really fit our schedule, so I'm considering letting her drop the class. I will probably wait until after next week's class as MP gives you until the 22nd to drop. I have heard good things about Ms. Cutrer from a friend, but we've found that just because a teacher is beloved by someone else doesn't mean we will have the same feelings. (My friend's kids also loved Mr. Cable. He was not bad, but not a favorite here.) For this particular kid, I don't need the structure or discipline, I need passion and the passing on of that love of a subject. That's what I'm willing to pay $$$ for.

I completely understand this sentiment. Until Mrs. Lange's class last year, I would have agreed. I could not have been happier with her class at Wilson Hill - with the understanding that it was a tough class for the recommended age group. She's not with Wilson Hill anymore & her private classes are very pricey. If she comes down in price, I would wholeheartedly recommend her classes. Her feedback is very specific and she always tries to increase the writing ability of the student in front of her. So, if your kid already writes well, they will write better with her specific feedback. If they struggle, they will get feedback to get them to the next level in each assignment.

I think high-quality writing classes are hard to come by. It is difficult to find a class that matches the specific needs & ability of the kid in front of you with a teacher that matches what your kid needs. Good quality feedback is so important. You can find AP level writing classes that are great for kids who already write well, but what about a struggling writer? What about that initial learn-to-write-well level? And, some classes are SO PRICEY. Others might be great, but require way more time than your kid can afford to spend on them (15-20 hours/week for a non-AP class?!). This has definitely been a struggle at our house, too.

We are loving Ms. Cutrer for FFL here.
  • RootAnn likes this

#60 madteaparty

madteaparty

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4245 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for your comments about Schole Academy. They are very helpful. I'm still trying to decide between W&R/Schole, Bravewriter, WTMA, or OG3/MCT for writing for next year (4th grade).

FWIW, i know bravewriter is universally loved here but we aren't fans. I'm sure it's just us (and this opinion is based on just one class).
I've actually written off writing classes entirely. This essay writing American style is a bit of a contact sport so I think can do a far better job myself, especially if I had back a tiny fraction of all the time we spent on writing classes. I will say I can see and appreciate what the WTM method is doing. I don't have nor do I need that many years though, for this particular kid.

Edited by madteaparty, 02 October 2017 - 11:04 PM.

• RootAnn and SeaConquest like this

#61 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16335 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Mr Peter Moskaluk (PAH Chemistry) answered my oldest boy’s question on why the quiz was graded incorrect by the system today morning very clearly when my kid post the question to him around 8pm Pacific Time. My boy wanted a 100% and was upset that he could not figure out where he went wrong. Mr Moskaluk and Jetta are two teachers that I feel I underpaid compared to other possible/potential providers.

Mr Moskaluk also answered my boy’s Chemistry question in February even before we registered for his class.