Menu

Beast 2A review?

poppy

My current 7 yo is at the, "I just want to play all day! Why do I have to do school?" phase so I can't really speak to it being fun, nothing school is being labeled fun at this point (there were even complaints at poetry tea this week which is a household favorite). So, it seems relatively engaging to me, ymmv with fickle children. 

Judging by my other 2 I'd say my daughter is above average but not in the realm of the exceptionally gifted on these boards. She has been doing MIF2 and so far BA2 seems to be at a decent level for her, it hasn't been especially challenging but the concepts are being covered in a different way which is making her think. The challenge problems have been just the right level (so far) to make her work a bit but not so hard she can't figure them out. I see it more as going sideways a bit and somewhat deeper on a few things. Time will tell how the rest of the book and grade go. We're just working on BA now when we finish A we'll go back to MiF. I'm highly considering BA online for supplemental review depending on the cost but it isn't due out until early 2018.

• Like 1

My current 7 yo is at the, "I just want to play all day! Why do I have to do school?" phase so I can't really speak to it being fun, nothing school is being labeled fun at this point (there were even complaints at poetry tea this week which is a household favorite). So, it seems relatively engaging to me, ymmv with fickle children. 

Judging by my other 2 I'd say my daughter is above average but not in the realm of the exceptionally gifted on these boards. She has been doing MIF2 and so far BA2 seems to be at a decent level for her, it hasn't been especially challenging but the concepts are being covered in a different way which is making her think. The challenge problems have been just the right level (so far) to make her work a bit but not so hard she can't figure them out. I see it more as going sideways a bit and somewhat deeper on a few things. Time will tell how the rest of the book and grade go. We're just working on BA now when we finish A we'll go back to MiF. I'm highly considering BA online for supplemental review depending on the cost but it isn't due out until early 2018.

Sounds perfect. Thanks!

Did you see this thread?  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/656867-beast-academy-review/  It isn't a good fit for my dd but she loves it and has been doing pages the last couple of days. 

Parts of it were confusing for her b/c she already knows Roman numerals up to 1000 and pirate writing got intertwined with Roman numerals and she couldn't understand why it would want her to write out 9 Xs when she knew a better way.  At the very beginning of the book, she also pointed out that tally marks would be a more efficient way for keeping track when counting.  ;)

We just got ours today, so my seven year old has just finished the first few sections. I've read the guide and paged through the practice book. My seven year old is about halfway through Rightstart C, so he isn't especially gifted at math. A lot of it is review. Some of the stuff covered I prefer the methods Rightstart teaches. However, so far the books really excite him - he whined to do more than one section today, and I welcome the break from really such a parent-intensive program as Rightstart. (I also think he welcomes the break from geometric drawing, ha!)