Menu

Scholarships

Have you tried looking through the boards at collegeconfidential.com?  There is a ton of great info there on lots of different scholarships, both competitive and automatic, on a national level.  For local scholarships, have you tried asking a counselor at Bluefield College, where you have one dual enrolled, to point you in the right direction?  

Edited by amsunshine
  • Like 1

Also, often the best scholarships are offered by the colleges, themselves. So, if your kiddo has a list of colleges narrowed down, it might be helpful to search each college's website carefully for information about the scholarships offered.

• Like 3

For an explanation of the FAFSA and financial aid process, see the past thread: "Scholarships".

For an explanation about scholarships and a compilation of best tips from WTMers, see the past thread "In pursuit of local/private scholarships".

For ideas of how to find "outside" scholarships, see the past thread "Where to find scholarships?"

For a follow-up about whether or not "outside"* scholarships are worth your time and effort, see the thread: "How many decided not to apply for outside scholarships?".

* = "inside" scholarships are those awarded through the college; "outside" scholarships are those awarded by organizations/groups/people OTHER than the college

There are more helpful past threads linked in the pinned thread at the top of the WTM High School Board: "Transcripts, Credits, NCAA, College applications, First Time at College, Scholarships/Financial Aid, Career Exploration -- past threads linked here!"

post #1 topics = getting started; planning/scheduling; transcripts; credits; grading/GPA; course descriptions; record keeping; diplomas; accreditation

post #5 topics = college prep/planning; NCAA; choosing a college; Common App/Admissions; Freshman Orientation; First Time at College; Study Abroad; Financial Aid; FAFSA; Scholarships; Alternatives to 4-Year College; Career Exploration

BEST of luck as you begin your journey into Financial Aid and Scholarships! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Bluefield started out pretty decent but has gone downhill.  The counselor my daughter had is not really good at communication is it's easy to see that dual enrolled students is not a priority at this college.  I have about two more years to save up and pay full price for my younger two attend some duel enrollment courses their Jr. and Sr. year

Mine looked at the schools they applied to. I learned about this $8 download (that updates you via email - at no additional charge) from 8FillTheHeart. This is *not* an affiliate link: 

http://www.mykidscollegechoice.com/full-scholarship-list/

For my kids, yes, they had good grades and oodles of EC activities and quite a few honors, but they did well on standardized testing. That was enough for a FT  (full tuition) scholarship for one and was one criterion for a FT scholarship for another of mine. 

ETA: And everything that Lori D. says. Always. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

My kids got their best scholarships from the schools they ended up attending.  Outside scholarships were mostly very small ones where thousands of students applied and your chances of getting it were like winning the lottery.  (That was our experience, anyway.)  We did get a few small ones from organizations in our town.

It made more sense for my kids to get a part-time job and earn that money rather than put those hours into applying for a small scholarship that they found online and had very little chance of getting.

But the schools ones were great!  After they were awarded the merit scholarships, there were other layers of scholarships they could apply for as well.  For example, one dd got a fairly large one for auditioning for the choir and agreeing to be in it all four years.  Another received one for doing a French study-abroad, and her whole semester abroad was paid for.  One dd got one because we had some special circumstances and it was the school's way of helping.  And there were others too.  So in our case, in-school scholarships were the best and definitely worth our time.

• Like 1

My kids got their best scholarships from the schools they ended up attending.  Outside scholarships were mostly very small ones where thousands of students applied and your chances of getting it were like winning the lottery.  (That was our experience, anyway.)  We did get a few small ones from organizations in our town.

It made more sense for my kids to get a part-time job and earn that money rather than put those hours into applying for a small scholarship that they found online and had very little chance of getting.

But the schools ones were great!  After they were awarded the merit scholarships, there were other layers of scholarships they could apply for as well.  For example, one dd got a fairly large one for auditioning for the choir and agreeing to be in it all four years.  Another received one for doing a French study-abroad, and her whole semester abroad was paid for.  One dd got one because we had some special circumstances and it was the school's way of helping.  And there were others too.  So in our case, in-school scholarships were the best and definitely worth our time.

See, if mine had won any of the scholarships you describe, their schools would have deducted those monies from what they awarded. While it feels/felt selfish just taking more from the school, mine would have felt bad taking from other students. In fact, my son was strongly encouraged to write an essay for a scholarship awarded by the student orchestra he was in. He was too modest to say it, so I told the director that he'd been awarded a FT scholarship and so he didn't try for anything. We all wanted that to go to someone else. 

And ITA about getting jobs! Much better use of time. 

• Like 1