Menu

Password managers

Ottakee

I have been using the Free version of LastPass for several years.  Love it. It saves a lot of time every day. I have almost all of my passwords in it, with the exception of 2 banks and PayPal.  I have a Pass Phrase that I use to get into my LastPass.

I use (almost always) the Google Chrome web browser and (on rare occasions) Mozilla Firefox and there are "Extensions" or PlugIns or whatever they are called, that you can add onto the web browsers, which I have done. 

I believe LastPass is the most popular Password Manager, but there are also others.

We use Dashlane, but not browser extensions.

There have been reports of the extensions being less secure than the original package.

It holds our passwords, but also the kind of information notes that I would need if Husband died, as he mostly manages the finances.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I looked at 1Password today but it's 3 monthly and Last Pass has a Free version I have been using for 39 months. I am going to Export my Passwords and also try to research what Laura mentioned that browser extensions may be less secure.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

I've been reading extensively about this recently. Wired mag and The NYT WireCutter have recommended both LastPass or 1Password equally.

Most sites also recommend setting up two-factor authentication for as many sites as support it.

LastPass is slightly cheaper than 1Password. It also has the free version for a single user, but it would be convenient to have all the family members' passwords in one account. 

@Laura, can you please share more info about browser extensions being less secure? I have not come across this info.

If you don't use the browser extension, then how do you access your passwords?

• Like 1

Laura, can you please share more info about browser extensions being less secure? I have not come across this info.

If you don't use the browser extension, then how do you access your passwords?

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3183675/security/stop-using-password-manager-browser-extensions.html

I sign into Dashlane separately and copy and paste the password.  It's more cumbersome but is supposedly more secure.

• Like 2

I am wary of using lastpass, 1password etc where your passwords are kept online under their control - no matter how secure they say they are they are such a huge target for hackers.

I've been using keepass for many many years. It is open source (i.e. anyone can verify how secure it is), and it is free, though possibly there are paid implementations for some operating systems? I use it on windows (press ctl-alt-A on about 90% of websites and the username/password will be filled in automatically - a few websites I have to manually copy and paste) and android. I have used it on OS X in the past (to read passwords only, not add new ones) and linux. I haven't used it on an iPhone, thought it's probably possible.

It's a little uglier / less slick / harder to set up than some of the other options, but the cost and extra safety make it worth it to me. For example there is no built in syncing between devices, but that means that you can control how that happens and where the encrypted file ends up.

• Like 2

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3183675/security/stop-using-password-manager-browser-extensions.html

I sign into Dashlane separately and copy and paste the password.  It's more cumbersome but is supposedly more secure.

@:Laura Corin  Thank you for that link.  I'm tired, but I did read it. Quite interesting! It is from last March. Then, I googled, and I found this on the LastPass Blog, also from last March,which was also quite interesting:

https://blog.lastpass.com/2017/03/security-update-for-the-lastpass-extension.html/

I have 2 things in mind...   First, I will probably uninstall the LastPass Browser Extensions, from Chrome and Firefox, on both my Primary and Backup laptops, and do as you are doing with DashLane, and log into my account on LastPass and stay logged in there, when I am logging in and out of a number of web sites, which I do every each morning.

Secondly, approximately 3 or 4 weeks ago, I began using the Free version of Avast Anti VIrus. It has something I like, which is a Secure Web Browser called SafeZone.  Safezone has a "Bank Mode" one can invoke, which really isolates the browser from the Windows Desktop and I will use Bank Mode, when connecting to bank web sites or to my PayPal account.

• Like 1