Menu

WWYD regarding retaking SATII test?

Please don't quote.

Many WTMers don't throw numbers around here often enough (unless they're perfect scores - I hear lots of 800's). So naturally we were shooting for 750+ at least on last June's SATII Bio test. My ds took a solid Bio course freshman year that was aligned with the SATII. He scored 98-99% for the year, and really seemed to have the material down. Another WTMer who did as well in the course, prepped hard and got a perfect 800. My ds prepped with 2 prep books (though his execution here is probably what leaves much to be desired), took lots of practice tests and ended up with a 660. He was disappointed.

So we are thinking of retaking the SAT test - but having missed the Aug test date as we were out of town, he feels waiting until November to give him 2 solid months to prep (re-read prep books and *take notes this time* and begin practice tests again) rather than the Oct date. But should we? Getting close to a 700 I think would be ideal. We are UC-hopefuls, perhaps, so using many AP/SATII tests to meet 'a-g' requirements. He will end up having a fair number of SATII when all is said and done (4-5 maybe). But that was his first and only one last year - so that's where we're at.

What are your thoughts? I've read and read until I'm blue in the face, but I don't know which way to go. I've seen on reddit someone say they felt SAT Bio was largely memorization, so fairly easy to raise your score with pointed prep... of course college confidential thinks anything sub 700 should be retaken. What say you?

Subject test scores are eligible for score choice when submitting scores to colleges. If the aim is to check that a-g requirement box for biology, his score is more than high enough.

"SAT Subject Examination

Each test clears one year:

Biology: Score of 540"

Does he intend to do AP Biology? If yes then I would take the SAT Biology exam again after AP Biology.

If he doesn't intend to take AP Biology, he would still have the two lab sciences that UC a-g requirement wants so I would concentrate on getting good scores for those lab sciences rather than redo SAT Biology. Also there are many choices to get in 4 years of lab science if you just want to play safe and keep all doors open.

SAT Biology has a E option and a M option. So that makes it even trickier to prep for an 800 unless the child has a distinct preference for Ecological biology or Molecular biology.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

My DD's score on the June Biology E test was very disappointing, as well. I was her instructor and I felt she had an excellent grasp of concepts and factual information.  She thought the test was easy, but plotzed it anyway.  I have decided not to have her re-prep and take it again.  Prepping takes time from her current work.  We have decided to do a dual enrollment in biology at the local university in an attempt to make the grade less impactful.

My 10th gr ds is taking AP Chem currently with PAH. Could potentially take June SATII Chem.

11th gr - Physics. Maybe AP but more likely Derek Owens with SATII Physics

12th gr - likely DE whatever interests him. (Probably less life sciences, moreso the mathy sciences)

So no plans for AP Bio. And I know it fulfills the a-g req'mt but I want to make sure scores like this don't make him less competitive an applicant... UCs are no walk in the park.

So no plans for AP Bio. And I know it fulfills the a-g req'mt but I want to make sure scores like this don't make him less competitive an applicant... UCs are no walk in the park.

UC's are calculating GPA's based on 10th and 11th grade subjects. His SAT Biology subject test was in 9th grade so it won't affect UC admissions. My district ends their academic year on June 15th so summer officially starts June 16th, after the June SAT exams.

"Convert the grades earned in all “a-g†courses completed between summer after 9th grade through summer after 11th grade to grade points: A=4 points, B=3 points, C=2 points, D=1 points. (Pluses and minuses don't count.)"

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/gpa-requirement/index.html

My kids aren't eyeing UC but I am helping a few moms with kids in public school puzzle it out.

Edited by Arcadia