Menu

R&S math ... is the grade 8 math different than earlier years? Can't decide we should switch or continue until grade 8.

morningcoffee

We love Rod and Staff math. I'm sad it finishes at the end of grade 8.

I'm not sure whether we will do the grade 8 math next year or whether I should be planning on making the switch at the end of grade 7. 

What's the grade 8 math like? Does it still have the clear instructions in the TM and the same type and number or word problems? 

We love Rod and Staff math. I'm sad it finishes at the end of grade 8.

I'm not sure whether we will do the grade 8 math next year or whether I should be planning on making the switch at the end of grade 7. 

What's the grade 8 math like? Does it still have the clear instructions in the TM and the same type and number or word problems? 

I haven't held "Applying Mathematics" in my hands so I can't really say, except that I have no doubt it has clear instructions in the TM. :-)

I like Saxon, so if I were in your position, I would have my dc take the placement test now and do that. Eventually, R&S will have algebra, but I haven't read any thing from them that suggests it will be finished any time soon.

• Like 2

7 is just like 8 in appearance and method. :)

Deciding what you want to use for algebra and working backward might help you decide now or later.

I switched mine early. He stunk at change and I wanted to get the newness battle over with, but in hindsight I would have just left him there until R&S ran out. It's probably dependent on the individual kid.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 3

Like previous posters, the Grade 8 book is set up just as the previous books are. It has a very explicit TM and the full set includes tests and quizzes. I do not have the 7th grade book, since we tried different books that year, but then did go back to R&S. My older daughter completed the Grade 8 book and from there went on to Jacob's Algebra I. She worked through about 1/3 of that book and switched to the Dolciani Algebra book, which is the one she finished. 

• Like 3