What's with the ads?

Photo

R&S math ... is the grade 8 math different than earlier years? Can't decide we should switch or continue until grade 8.

4 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 morningcoffee

morningcoffee

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

We love Rod and Staff math. I'm sad it finishes at the end of grade 8.

I'm not sure whether we will do the grade 8 math next year or whether I should be planning on making the switch at the end of grade 7. 

What's the grade 8 math like? Does it still have the clear instructions in the TM and the same type and number or word problems? 

#2 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31514 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

We love Rod and Staff math. I'm sad it finishes at the end of grade 8.

I'm not sure whether we will do the grade 8 math next year or whether I should be planning on making the switch at the end of grade 7. 

What's the grade 8 math like? Does it still have the clear instructions in the TM and the same type and number or word problems? 

I haven't held "Applying Mathematics" in my hands so I can't really say, except that I have no doubt it has clear instructions in the TM. :-)

I like Saxon, so if I were in your position, I would have my dc take the placement test now and do that. Eventually, R&S will have algebra, but I haven't read any thing from them that suggests it will be finished any time soon.

• mama25angels and morningcoffee like this

#3 SilverMoon

SilverMoon

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8695 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:28 PM

7 is just like 8 in appearance and method. :)

Deciding what you want to use for algebra and working backward might help you decide now or later.

I switched mine early. He stunk at change and I wanted to get the newness battle over with, but in hindsight I would have just left him there until R&S ran out. It's probably dependent on the individual kid.

Edited by SilverMoon, 11 September 2017 - 11:29 PM.

• Ellie, mama25angels and morningcoffee like this

#4 2_girls_mommy

2_girls_mommy

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4424 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

It was no different than the other years for us. We finished it all of the way for one. One is now in the 7th and headed that way. 

• mama25angels and morningcoffee like this

#5 Kfamily

Kfamily

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

Like previous posters, the Grade 8 book is set up just as the previous books are. It has a very explicit TM and the full set includes tests and quizzes. I do not have the 7th grade book, since we tried different books that year, but then did go back to R&S. My older daughter completed the Grade 8 book and from there went on to Jacob's Algebra I. She worked through about 1/3 of that book and switched to the Dolciani Algebra book, which is the one she finished. 

• Ellie, mama25angels and morningcoffee like this