Menu

How to regularly use up tons of eggs?

MeaganS

I use a recipe from a German cookbook called Freiberg Waffles. It uses 8 eggs for 8-10 waffles and doubles well (16 eggs). I often make vanilla pudding/pastry cream to go with it (2 more eggs). 

Waffles can be frozen and reheated in the toaster. 

I don't have the recipe right now but I'll try to check back and post it tomorrow if anyone's interested. 

Welsh rarebit (or rabbit) - poached eggs on English muffins with some kind of sauce. I recently used an overabundance of eggs to make and freeze a big bath of breakfast burritos (12 eggs, several jalapeños, two huge honking potatoes, an onion and a package of bacon). Also recently found an easy poached huevos rancheros recipe - https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/skillet-poached-huevos-rancheros

The irony of this is, I don't eat eggs much. I like the breakfast burritos, but otherwise I just have my family's word that the other ones are good. The huevos rancheros were a big hit, though, and super easy.

ETA - the huevos rancheros recipe uses black beans.

Edited by emba56

I really want chickens but the having to deal with eggs things put me off. I know that sounds dumb but, it true. I just want "therapy chickens" my daughter can take care of !

You should post on local chicken/farm/food group and offer a "retirement home" for some hens. They only lay 2-3 years but I've heard they can live ~15. A big problem for many people is what to do with their beloved laying hens after their days of laying are over.

• Like 1

-Egg salad made with yogurt substituted for mayo.

-Eggs in stir fry or "fried" rice.

-Spanish omelettes (quicker and easier if made with baked & cooled sliced potatoes rather than frying first, plus it ups the resistant starch in the dish)

-6-8 eggs in a pancake recipe = "German" or "Swedish" or "Irish" style pancakes.  I'm not sure it's not actually a Midwest invention labelled ethnically because the recipes were handed down from immigrant great grandmothers, but they are more crepey than fluffy, super filling, and kids love to roll the leftovers with fruit or cinnamon & sugar for an afternoon snack.  Many families I've met in the midwest have a version of this that is handed down.

-Handmade pasta - a pinch of salt and about 1 cup of flour for each egg, more eggs in the ratio if making gluten free noodles.  Mix on the (clean) counter, roll out, slice with a pizza cutter, boil until floating, serve with your favorite sauce.  No need to add meat to the sauce, this is very filling.

-Mixed with leftover rice with milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and raisins for overnight crockpot rice pudding.  Makes an amazing cheap, hot, easy, beloved breakfast.

-Add them to bread recipes.  Eggwash french bread as it's baking to give it a lovely crunchy on the outside crust, soft on the inside.

-Not very healthy, but use them as a base for fried or oven fried breading.  Crushed and herbed cornflakes or pork rinds work for shake and bake type recipes, cornmeal works for actual frying.

Freiberg Waffles from The Cuisines of Germany

6-8 waffles

1 Tbl butter

1 3/4 c flour

8 eggs

1 c sour cream

1 Tbl sugar

1/2 tsp salt

grated 1/2 lemon (if you want, I don't)

bacon fat for cooking (if you want, I don't)

confectioner's sugar (for sprinkling, if you want, I don't)

*Not in the original recipe, but I prefer to add 1 tsp baking powder. I tend to space and if you don't mix the eggs enough the lift won't be the same every time. 

Cream butter. 

Stir in eggs until frothy (this is where I space, often I just start dumping stuff in one after another). Add flour. 

Add sour cream a spoonful at a time. Mix vigorously.

Add sugar, salt, lemon peel (if using), and baking powder (if using). Thin with sour cream if necessary. Use immediately in a hot waffle iron (although it never hurt me to let it sit 10m or so).