Menu

Graphic Design for 9th grader who wants an introduction?

What about finding something on You Tube?  My teenagers love watching You Tube and not just for junk.  My son is constantly watching learning videos and they are all free!!  Bonus!!

Quick google search brought these up. Maybe something would work for your daughter.

https://creativemarket.com/blog/youtube-channels-graphic-design

http://www.howdesign.com/resources-education/20-graphic-designers-to-watch-on-youtube/

Edited by Nemom
  • Like 3

What about finding something on You Tube?  My teenagers love watching You Tube and not just for junk.  My son is constantly watching learning videos and they are all free!!  Bonus!!

Quick google search brought these up. Maybe something would work for your daughter.

https://creativemarket.com/blog/youtube-channels-graphic-design

http://www.howdesign.com/resources-education/20-graphic-designers-to-watch-on-youtube/

That is perfect!  Thank you!

I reached out to my older son tonight and asked him.  His response?  "Let her do her own exploring."  Classic him!  By her age, he was running his own website design business.   :)

I will give her your list of the youtube videos, the Lynda course link and maybe canva?  I would love a free program that she can play with.  I'll let her loose with deciding her path.

Thanks all!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 2

I reached out to my older son tonight and asked him.  Hi response?  "Let her do her own exploring."  Classic him!  By her age, he was running his own website design business.   :)

I will give her your list of the youtube videos, the Lynda course link and maybe canva?  I would love a free program that she can play with.  I'll let her loose with deciding her path.

Thanks all!

Oh, I think I have some more ideas.  When you said this it reminded me that dd got started on You Tube tutorials and a free program called Inkscape.  She still uses Inkscape for a lot of her art; she still prefers it to Photoshop. I think there's a second free program she uses; she's in bed now but if you're interested I can ask her tomorrow.

Has your dd found DeviantArt?  Two of my kids have had pages there and have posted their art.  In spite of the kinky sounding name, they are kid friendly and kids' accounts block anything racy.  Dd16's page is mostly My Little Pony fan art.  My older dd posted mostly sculpey miniature clay food she made.  

• Like 3

Oh, I think I have some more ideas.  When you said this it reminded me that dd got started on You Tube tutorials and a free program called Inkscape.  She still uses Inkscape for a lot of her art; she still prefers it to Photoshop. I think there's a second free program she uses; she's in bed now but if you're interested I can ask her tomorrow.

Has your dd found DeviantArt?  Two of my kids have had pages there and have posted their art.  In spite of the kinky sounding name, they are kid friendly and kids' accounts block anything racy.  Dd16's page is mostly My Little Pony fan art.  My older dd posted mostly sculpey miniature clay food she made.  

Thank you!  I have just shared your ideas and let her loose.  :)

• Like 1

I reached out to my older son tonight and asked him.  His response?  "Let her do her own exploring."  Classic him!  By her age, he was running his own website design business.   :)

Thanks all!

This is my older son's attitude.  He if wants to know something, he just goes to You Tube and starts watching tutorials.  Different generation for sure.  You tube is the last place I would look for information.  Lol.

I've heard lots of good things about Adobe Lightroom and it is only $10 a month.  Might be worth checking out if you can't find something for free.

Edited by Nemom
  • Like 2

I just asked her and the other free program she uses along with Inkscape is called PaintTool SAI

I thought she might be using Gimp, because after someone else mentioned it I remembered that my older kids had used that, but apparently 'mooom, no one uses that anymore'.  :rolleyes:   I can't keep up, lol.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have access to any DE courses?  Dd16's doing Graphic Design there.

Yes, this turned out to be our best option as well. If you can find something DE at the community college that might be best. Ds has taken four graphics courses at our local CC and he loved them all. Three of them were online courses.

• Like 1

I just asked her and the other free program she uses along with Inkscape is called PaintTool SAI

I thought she might be using Gimp, because after someone else mentioned it I remembered that my older kids had used that, but apparently 'mooom, no one uses that anymore'.  :rolleyes:   I can't keep up, lol.

Sigh.  Doesn't work on a Mac.

• Like 1

I asked my DD about this and she asked what your DD is interested in doing, and then I reread post #1. She suggested a General Introduction to Graphic Design.  My DD had completed the Middle School Art course and the High School Art course and she has recently begun an Elective course I think is for Graphic Design or something like that. Has your DD taken Art courses?

ETA: The course DD enrolled in a few weeks ago is about Digital Desgin. This is at the bottom, about the Software: "Software needed:

You will be using digital illustration software such as Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape for this course. You can download a free 30-day trial of Adobe Illustrator from the Adobe Creative Cloud site. You can download Inkscapefor free."     Inkscape, being free, I assume will be what she uses.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

My daughter started with apps, she likes phonto and superimpose, they are both cheap and powerful.  I'll ask her what she used to use on the mac, we just bought the student/teacher version of Adobe CC for her graphic design self study elective, expensive still but not as bad as their normal pricing.  

My daughter used to use Sketchbook Pro when she drew on the Mac.

She just watches YouTube and tries stuff as well...

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Thanks all. DD is having a blast with the Lynda course, a free trial of Adobe Illustrator and youtube videos. She is also helping me with my website. :) You are all wonderful for sharing so many resources!

My daughter is enjoying having photoshop. She drew many of the cartoons for my letter sound chart for my phonics materials and is currently designing the cover for a beginning phonics book I am working on for the non-profit! :)

• Like 1

My daughter is enjoying having photoshop. She drew many of the cartoons for my letter sound chart for my phonics materials and is currently designing the cover for a beginning phonics book I am working on for the non-profit! :)

Unrelated, but not.

I think of you often, because your guidance and website helped me with my struggling reader many years ago - my first year homeschooling!

Thank you again. :)

• Like 1