Menu

Are you freezing your credit? What about your older teens?

Prairie~Phlox

We're still thinking about it. In our state it will cost us $30 per person to freeze and also $30 per person to unfreeze. Since we plan to buy a different house in the next year or so, we'll need to unfreeze it at least once.  So we're still deciding. 

When dh got his last job they did a credit check, so if he looks for another job, I wonder if they still do that. It's been 23 years since he changed jobs, so you know, things *might* have changed. g  But if so, he has to unfreeze his for them to do the check. 

It irritates me that Equifax is still charging us to do that. 

The thing that REALLY ticks me off, is that there is a fee to freeze your credit and that equifax is still charging it.

Ponder that for a moment.

Three credit agencies and three people, charge is $10 per person per agency. So, $90 we will be out of pocket.

I agree. This makes me very angry. It should be free to do this for everyone at all three credit agencies, especially now with all of these breaches. It should be an easier process to both freeze and thaw our credit, too.

I'm calling our rep and senators to let them know. It's about time we the consumers had more power to control our information since it's obvious that no one else is going to.

• Like 4

I'm just going to desperately hope the information was acquired by an organization dedicated to creating anarchy in our government and society and, therefore, will fix my credit and possibly erase my student loan debt :D

Also, they still often do credit checks for all kinds of jobs :/

• Like 3

For those of you who are freezing your credit, do you know for certain that you have compromised information? Did you contact Equifax or did they contact you?

No, but basically it's a 50/50 chance that your info was included, that's too high for me to risk, freezing it will eliminate anyone taking out a loan or credit in our name.  We won't be buying anything, anytime soon, so it is worth it for us, plus we live in a state that it's free to do so.

• Like 4

OUr info was not compromised in this one.  It was twice with the OPM but that was most likely a hack by a foreign government maybe for spying or something like that.  I am getting my adult children to see if they were hacked. If so, I think they will have to wait for equifax to offer the free monitoring.   What I want to discuss with dh is possibly getting lifelock.  

I 'heard' so take that with a grain of salt, that the site that tells you if you were part of the hack just returns a random answer.   

Victims of Identity Theft can freeze their credit for free.   Seems like that is all of us now.   

We have all the debt we need and are paying down what we have, so I'd been idly thinking of doing this anyway.  

• Like 1

Ok, but besides the cost, there has to be some other cons to this. What are they? If not, why wouldn't everyone do it? KWIM?

The con is that you have to thaw your credit each time you need to have a credit check. This costs money in most states. It's a hassle, but worth it to most people who don't plan on getting loans or lines of credit often.

• Like 3

Ok, but besides the cost, there has to be some other cons to this.  What are they?  If not, why wouldn't everyone do it?  KWIM?

Because you cannot establish new credit nor can people do a credit check. This is a hassle for some business owners or people who are contemplating buying cars / houses on credit.

• Like 1

A few things people might not realize:

-When you think you need to thaw it, find out which credit agency they check. Sometimes the creditor will tell you and you only have to unthaw that agency, which saves money (if it costs money in your state).

-When you thaw, you can specify it to refreeze automatically on a certain date. Then you won't have to pay for it to be frozen again.

-You can continue to use all current lines of credit and they continue to report to agencies, even when your credit is frozen. So nothing about your credit score changes. It just means people can't open new cards or take out mortgages in your name (or in another name) using your number.

-Children may have a higher risk of having their identity stolen than many adults, although it may be that their identities tend to be stolen by relatives. States are beginning to allow children's credit to be frozen, but I believe the process is more complex.

• Like 3

Ok, but besides the cost, there has to be some other cons to this.  What are they?  If not, why wouldn't everyone do it?  KWIM?

Why doesn't everyone do it? The credit agencies and worthless credit monitoring places don't want them to and neither do other businesses. They make money by making it easy for people to impulsively apply for credit. 

Think of it this way, if you want to stick it to the credit agencies, freeze your credit. Then also fill out the form that stops pre-screened credit card offers from showing up in your mailbox.

ETA: Here is a link to an article about ending the unsolicited credit card offers. Opt out and reduce Equifax's ability to make money of your info: http://clark.com/story/optout-credit-card-offers/

Edited by HoppyTheToad
  • Like 4

-When you think you need to thaw it, find out which credit agency they check. Sometimes the creditor will tell you and you only have to unthaw that agency, which saves money (if it costs money in your state).

-When you thaw, you can specify it to refreeze automatically on a certain date. Then you won't have to pay for it to be frozen again.

-You can continue to use all current lines of credit and they continue to report to agencies, even when your credit is frozen. So nothing about your credit score changes. It just means people can't open new cards or take out mortgages in your name (or in another name) using your number.

-Children may have a higher risk of having their identity stolen than many adults, although it may be that their identities tend to be stolen by relatives. States are beginning to allow children's credit to be frozen, but I believe the process is more complex.

I froze mine and dh's. I looked into doing it for our kids, although they are all young. It was difficult to find information on it. As far as I could tell, one agency allowed you to do it online for a kid under 14. The other two required you to send in info for kids under 14. They wanted a copy of my driver's license, a copy of the kid's social security card, a copy of the kid's birth certificate, a copy of something showing our address. All in order to prove identity. I'll just say I didn't feel exactly comfortable sending all that in by mail. :) 

• Like 2

So, if I put in my 6 digit ss and last name, it says we are potentially at risk.  Then it leads me to what seems like a sign up.  Are they wanting me to buy protection?  This seems like a set up y'all?  Like a conspiracy to make money  :confused1:

Supposedly they (equifax) is offering free protection services for a year, BUT then you agree that you have "settled" with them and cannot collect on a class action suit (if any are started which I am 100% sure they will be).

I'm working on freezing for dh, ds, dfather and myself.  That's 12 freezes.  I did eight online.  Experian insisted on snail mail for everyone except me, so I have to come up with utility bills, copy licenses and all.  Transunion couldn't do ds either, but I think that may be because he only has one credit card so they may not even have a file for him.

I really really hate this!!!

Edited by Joules

We've been offered protection services from other breaches.  So far we haven't taken anyone up on it.  We started off applying for one and they asked for so much private information it felt less secure to give all of that out in one place than the information anyone potentially got from the breach.  What is to stop anyone from hacking one of these protection services who hold tons and tons of information about you?!

• Like 1

I just signed up for the year of free credit monitoring. I see no point in freezing my credit if no one is actually trying to misuse my data.

With whom did you do this? This is what I would rather do.

If you sign up for the credit monitoring, make sure you make an appointment for yourself in a year to cancel it.  Because they will charge you automatically next year.  

That "free credit monitoring" also annoys me.   That isn't any better than the offers you get when ordering something by phone from TigerDirect.   They are making it out like a big thing they are offering, when really it isn't anymore than you could get beforehand.  

I agree. It's a lengthy process to freeze Childrens credit. I've looked into it. They want copies of birth certs, parents' IDs, and other info to verify who is freezing on the kids' behalf. That's fine (makes total sense) but it's harder to do. My credit is frozen. I think it's $6 per agency in MN to thaw it. But when you thaw, you can select for how long (a few days up to six months).

Edited by MommyLiberty5013

Clark Howard is advising all adults to set up free monitoring with Credit Karma (but none of the companies that eventually charge) and then freezing their credit. This is the worst data breach ever he said. The hackers got names, addresses (current and previous), SSNs, and even driver license numbers on about 2/3 of the adult population. Also, millions of credit cards numbers were stolen. Monitoring alerts you after the fact, meaning after damage is done. A freeze is like a nasty guard dog that keeps the criminals out. (Although it still doesn't prevent someone from filing taxes and claiming a refund in your name.)

I guess I have a hard time understanding why people wouldn't want to freeze their credit. I'd rather prevent someone using my info for a mortagage than go through the hassle after it happened.

• Like 2

I'm working on freezing for dh, ds, dfather and myself.  That's 12 freezes.  I did eight online.  Experian insisted on snail mail for everyone except me, so I have to come up with utility bills, copy licenses and all.  Transunion couldn't do ds either, but I think that may be because he only has one credit card so they may not even have a file for him.

I really really hate this!!!

Regarding the insistence on snail mail... I froze things by phone and got an automated message at one of the bureaus that the freeze couldn't be processed for DH that way. I waited a little while, called back and was able to get it processed without a problem. Maybe try that way? I'd hate to have to send all that paperwork!

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 1

Yup, I did it last night. All 4 agencies, dh and me both. Done. 

I haven't suggested it to my 20 year old, but probably should. She probably won't get around to it, though. 

I'm confident my younger kids are still "ghosts" credit-wise, so no need there . . . but dd bought a car in January, and when she did, she was still a "ghost" (dh cosigned and co-titled, so not an issue), but now that she's made payments for 9 months, she's probably no longer a ghost . . . 

I guess I should tell her to do it . . . But, damn, it's hard to get her to pay her water bill on time (flaky . . .), and that's just one more thing (rather 4 more things), and I can't see her pulling it off successfully. And, I'm certainly can't do it w/o her . . . and she's 800 miles away, so, well, maybe at Thanksgiving, when she's here . . .

I guess I have a hard time understanding why people wouldn't want to freeze their credit. I'd rather prevent someone using my info for a mortagage than go through the hassle after it happened.

Our youngest daughter is just starting her independent life. So she needed a credit check when she got her own phone plan, will need one to rent an apartment, maybe to get utilities, will need one if she ever buys a car (insurance will do one). Since she's building her credit she'll probably get a credit card in the next year or so. I don't even know what else she might need a credit check for.  I think banks use ChexSystems and since that's not one of the big three I guess it's not an issue. 

So I can see where a young person might not  freeze credit because of the hassle and expense of unfreezing. In our state it's $30 to freeze and unfreeze.  If she unfreezes it every time she needs to, the cost will add up. But if she unfreezes it for an entire year or so (I think it'll take that long for her to launch and get everything in place), she's at risk. 

All of this assumes that these kinds of credit checks can't be done while it's frozen (insurance, apartment, etc). 

When we relocate we'll have to unfreeze ours, too.  Probably for a few months as we sell this house and buy the next, and then set up new accounts in a different place. 

I did the free credit monitoring. It had the option to lock my credit, which I did. I can unlock it at no charge and re-lock should I need too. Equifax has stated (after receiving a lot of heat) that you can still be part of a lawsuit even if you sign up for free credit monitoring. But honestly, even if I couldn't sue them, I'm fine with that. Half of America was breached - the settlement isn't going to buy much of anything for me. Once my year is up, we may freeze our credit still... the information stolen can be used for years to come.

Upthread I read that after a year we will be charged. How can they charge me if I don't cancel at the year mark? Did the fine print state this? Will they bill me? I didn't give any debit card information.