Menu

More Transcript Questions - Another question!

TCB

I've been looking through old threads but can't find this information. Can someone help me with the wording some have suggested for saying that your homeschool was conducted in accordance with the state's homeschooling law? I would like to add it to my dd's transcript but would like help with the wording. Also I'm in Missouri, can anyone help me with where to look for the name or number of the appropriate law for our state?

Also, when listing ACT or SAT scores is it Ok to just list the composite score or is it better to list the sub-section scores? 

Thanks so much for any help!

Edited by tcb

For test scores, I just listed the composite. 

With regards to state laws, I used wording like that on the diploma, but not on the transcript. (Homeschooldiploma.com has an option that has wording about complying with your state's laws.)

Thanks! So it's not necessary to put it on the transcript. That's good because I was worried about finding space to include it.

You'd probably be able to find the MO-specific legal info on the HSLDA site, but you have to give them your name & email to access it.

Thanks! I'll look. I know you're going through this process now as well. Are you putting any wording like that on your transcript?

Thanks! So it's not necessary to put it on the transcript. That's good because I was worried about finding space to include it.

I haven't heard of it being required. I don't know if other states or specific schools might have different requirements, but it wasn't required here. 

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 1

My son is only a 10th grader, so I haven't graduated one yet, but I'm building his transcript as we go. I'm including a statement like the following on his transcript, just above the line at the bottom where I will sign my name as the school administrator:

I hereby certify this is the official homeschool high school transcript for [FirstName LastName] for 2016 - 2020 and the information herein is complete and accurate. I also certify this secondary school education has been carried out in a homeschool setting in compliance with [state Statute Number].

OP, if you wanted to include it, it looks like the applicable state statute for Missouri would be Missouri Revised Statutes §167.031.  http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/chapters/chapText167.html (scroll down to find Section .031.)

• Like 1

...Can someone help me with the wording some have suggested for saying that your homeschool was conducted in accordance with the state's homeschooling law...

I've seen these as possibilities:

1. verification of accuracy of the transcript information, put by your signature as administrator:

"I do hereby self-certify and affirm that this is the official transcript and record of __[name of student]______ in the academic studies for the years  __[2017-2021]__. signature: ____________ date: ____________

2. confirmation of homeschooling under state law, put at the bottom of the transcript:

"All coursework completed in compliance with Missouri state educational regulations, Section 167.031, RsMo (Revised Statutes of Missouri)."

• Like 1

For my first, I put under my signature, This signature certifies that the information on the transcript is true, correct and complete. For my next I will probably add "and operates in accordance with the KY state law."

I did this in very small font under my signature so it did not take up much space.

• Like 2

My son is only a 10th grader, so I haven't graduated one yet, but I'm building his transcript as we go. I'm including a statement like the following on his transcript, just above the line at the bottom where I will sign my name as the school administrator:

OP, if you wanted to include it, it looks like the applicable state statute for Missouri would be Missouri Revised Statutes §167.031.  http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/chapters/chapText167.html (scroll down to find Section .031.)

Thank you so much for finding that for me!

• Like 1

Another question - when filling in the graduation date on the transcript now, is it enough to say May 2018? Or should I put an actual day?

I also vote day-month-year. I have heard of more than one case where a student applying for a job, on the application, they are *very* insistent about a full date of graduation as proof of having earned the high school diploma.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your help. I can't tell you what a relief it is to be able to get this advice.

I also have a question about weighted or unweighted GPA.

I have only classified classes as honors if the outside provider labeled them as such, and I feel happy that those classes fulfilled the honors description. The only exception is that I have labeled our US History course as honors because dd took the AP exam at the end and got a 5, but our course was not approved by the College Board as AP.

When I calculate her GPA unweighted it is a 4.0. If I give her 4.5 for an A in honors classes it just comes out as 4.11. Is it worth even including a weighted GPA on the transcript for that minute difference or should I just put down the unweighted 4.0? At the end of this year she will have an official AP class plus exam and a duel enrolled college class to add in but of course that will be too late for college admissions stuff, although she will have a semester grade in those at Christmas.

• Like 1

... I have labeled our US History course as honors because dd took the AP exam at the end and got a 5, but our course was not approved by the College Board as AP...

Dual enrollment and AP courses (whether a College-Board approved syllabus or DIY) are usually weighted with a 5.0 grade scale for an A. Especially because you an AP test score to back up and "prove" the rigor of your DIY AP course, you can go with the weighted grade.

Honors courses are usually a "half-step" above regular courses and a "half step" below AP (which are meant to be at full college level), so they are usually weighted with a 4.5 grade scale for an A.

...Is it worth even including a weighted GPA on the transcript for that minute difference or should I just put down the unweighted 4.0? At the end of this year she will have an official AP class plus exam and a duel enrolled college class...

The AP class + exam and the dual enrolled course WILL go on her final official transcript, so that is why you want to consider weight those, even though for college acceptance and scholarships, it will not come in to play. JMO: I would weight both of those with the 5.0 grade scale, and include all grade scales (with a notation about which classes fall under which grade scale), and include a total GPA for weighted and unweighted grades. Example:

Academic Summary:

total credits: _______

total GPA (weighted): _________

total GPA (unweighted): _______

degree earned: __yes__

graduation date: ______

Grade Scales:

weighted (AP & DE)   weighted (Honors) . unweighted

A = 5.0 . . . . . . . . . A = 4.5 . . . . . . .  A = 4.0

B = 4.0 . . . . . . . . . B = 3.5 . . . . .. . . B = 3.0

C = 3.0 . . . . . . . . . C = 2.5 . . . . .. . . C = 2.0

D = 2.0 . . . . . . . . . D = 1.5 . . . . . . . .D = 1.0

F = 0.0 . . . . . . . .  . F = 0.0  . . . . . . ..F = 0.0

ETA:

And to answer your question of "is it worth it" to weight grades -- hard to say. It can make a difference for scholarships, if you don't but public schools do. If you will only have a total of 3-4 courses that would have weighted grades AND if several of those will fall in the last semester and so they will not boost the GPA for college admissions or scholarships, AND because it looks like your student will have a 4.0 score as a final cumulative GPA, then it might not be worth the extra effort. However, if you have a number of weighted grades coming earlier in the high school years, then yes, absolutely weight those more rigorous courses! :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

Dual enrollment and AP courses (whether a College-Board approved syllabus or DIY) are usually weighted with a 5.0 grade scale for an A. Especially because you an AP test score to back up and "prove" the rigor of your DIY AP course, you can go with the weighted grade.

Honors courses are usually a "half-step" above regular courses and a "half step" below AP (which are meant to be at full college level), so they are usually weighted with a 4.5 grade scale for an A.

The AP class + exam and the dual enrolled course WILL go on her final official transcript, so that is why you want to consider weight those, even though for college acceptance and scholarships, it will not come in to play. JMO: I would weight both of those with the 5.0 grade scale, and include all grade scales (with a notation about which classes fall under which grade scale), and include a total GPA for weighted and unweighted grades. Example:

Academic Summary:

total credits: _______

total GPA (weighted): _________

total GPA (unweighted): _______

degree earned: __yes__

graduation date: ______

Grade Scales:

weighted (AP & DE)   weighted (Honors) . unweighted

A = 5.0 . . . . . . . . . A = 4.5 . . . . . . .  A = 4.0

B = 4.0 . . . . . . . . . B = 3.5 . . . . .. . . B = 3.0

C = 3.0 . . . . . . . . . C = 2.5 . . . . .. . . C = 2.0

D = 2.0 . . . . . . . . . D = 1.5 . . . . . . . .D = 1.0

F = 0.0 . . . . . . . .  . F = 0.0  . . . . . . ..F = 0.0

ETA:

And to answer your question of "is it worth it" to weight grades -- hard to say. It can make a difference for scholarships, if you don't but public schools do. If you will only have a total of 3-4 courses that would have weighted grades AND if several of those will fall in the last semester and so they will not boost the GPA for college admissions or scholarships, AND because it looks like your student will have a 4.0 score as a final cumulative GPA, then it might not be worth the extra effort. However, if you have a number of weighted grades coming earlier in the high school years, then yes, absolutely weight those more rigorous courses! :)

Thanks for that!  I scored her class with AP exam as a 5.0 instead of a 4.5 and her GPA comes out at 4.14 I think. Is it worth doing for such a small amount? Also do you round to the nearest 10th or to 2 decimal places? - not sure of the convention.

ETA We do really need scholarships but I guess I'm a bit worried that putting a weighted GPA as 4.1 or 4.14 instead of just putting unweighted 4.0 will look a bit ridiculous or pathetic!

Edited by tcb

Thanks for that!  I scored her class with AP exam as a 5.0 instead of a 4.5 and her GPA comes out at 4.14 I think. Is it worth doing for such a small amount? Also do you round to the nearest 10th or to 2 decimal places? 

Go to at least the 100th decimal place. What is standard is either 2 or 4 places after the decimal point. So, 4.14 or 4.1400 (or other digits than zeros for those last 2 places, if that is how it came out). I personally went with 4 digits after the decimal, just because that's how DSs' dual enrollment college transcript was listed, so I felt like that gave us some consistency. Also, it seems like brick and mortar high schools go with 4 digits for the cumulative GPA, so that makes it easier for college admission and scholarship offices to compare "apples with apples". At least that was my justification for going with 4 places. ;)

... We do really need scholarships but I guess I'm a bit worried that putting a weighted GPA as 4.1 or 4.14 instead of just putting unweighted 4.0 will look a bit ridiculous or pathetic!

Well, I'm not the college admissions or merit aid official, but a 4.0 or higher GPA certainly doesn't look pathetic to me. :) To me, it says the student was doing SO well with high school work that the student took on the challenge of college-level work and succeeded.

And every little bit helps to make your DD more competitive for scholarships, so I'd go with the weighted grades, since it's very likely that the other students DD will be up against for scholarships will be using weighted grades.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3