Menu

Seeking opinions on the herbal sleep aid called Deep Sleep

Chelle in MO

My 82 yr old dad goes to sleep around 9:00 or 10:00 PM and usually wakes around 3:00 AM to go to the bathroom. After that, he often can't get back to sleep.  He doesn't consume much caffeine (and what he drinks is early in the day), drinks no alcohol, eats sensibly, doesn't have major stressors, has a 30-60 min. nap most days, and is in really great health.

He asked me what I thought about him taking Deep Sleep (as recommended to him by a friend), and I don't have any experience with this type of thing. 

Would you please share anything that might be helpful in making a decision? Of course, he will also consult with his doctor.

Thank you! 

I don't have any experience with Deep Sleep, but I have heard that elderly people don't need as much sleep as they did earlier in life. Maybe his expectations of 8-9 hours of sleep aren't realistic? (I have no science to back this; just hearsay.) Does he feel tired during the day? 

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 2

I would suggest a time release melatonin. The time release aspect should help with getting back to sleep. Also - many men who wake up to go to the bathroom during the night have an enlarged prostate. (Just throwing that extra bit out there for free. You can pay me for the other advice. ;). )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I just looked up the ingredients and they are all solid herbs that really do help promote sleep and rest.

They may very well help him sleep/get back to sleep. As with anything, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

He can also try drinking  a similar herbal blend in tea form before he goes to bed. Hope he finds something that works!

• Like 3

Thank you so much, everyone!  I really appreciate the feedback!  

Jean, I really doubt that he has an issue w/his prostate considering how good he is at going to checkups and following doctors' orders, but I will ask him. Come back to StL and I'll buy you a great lunch in exchange for the advice!

I'll discuss all the replies with him--thanks again!

• Like 2

I have used Deep Sleep--assuming it is a capsule of herbal ingredients. I think there'd be nothing against him trying it for improving sleep quality. It is generally taken before bed, and if he wakes at 3AM it may not help ease getting back to sleep then.  I don't know what would happen if he were to try a capsule at 3AM. 

I think bedtime multiminerals may help with sleep too.

• Like 1

I caution you on the other side of using valerian. It does slow the heart rate down. I see it is an ingredient in the product you are mentioning. I'm not arguing, but I would be cautious, not knowing what his current resting heart rate and BP clock in. 

I'd also wonder if he needs new pillows or a new mattress. 

The other ingredients all sound good though. Also, it might stop working for him, or he may get to the point where he no longer needs it.

I like it that it is a gel cap, easy to swallow.

You're a sweet daughter to be looking out for your dear ol' dad. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Pen and Gaillardia, for the replies! 

He doesn't want to take anything before bed so as not to increase the frequency of getting up to go to the bathroom.

I appreciate the caution about valerian and the thoughts about new pillows or mattress.

I'm sharing everyone's thoughts w/my sister, who is his main support, and we will make sure his doctor is involved in any decision to add a product to his routine.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to give your thoughts!  I appreciate it so much!

• Like 1