Menu

Sending in homeschool transcripts

DawnM

The transcript I made for my 19 year old just has our official private school name at the top and then a full transcript.  It is the one our local CC asked us to turn in.

Now he is applying to a 4 year school and they are requesting high school transcripts.  Do I send another letter/note along with it explaining that it is a homeschool?

Ok, thanks.

Now my friend is telling me that I need to describe each course and tell what materials were used.....good grief....I just don't have that kind of time.  His transcript is made and it would take me hours to google every textbook and description available.  I highly doubt for an Art college they care what kind of textbook I used for Civics.  Maybe I am wrong, but.....

Ok, thanks.

Now my friend is telling me that I need to describe each course and tell what materials were used.....good grief....I just don't have that kind of time.  His transcript is made and it would take me hours to google every textbook and description available.  I highly doubt for an Art college they care what kind of textbook I used for Civics.  Maybe I am wrong, but.....

Don't go by what your friend says - ask the college whether they want to see course descriptions.

Don't you have any records from your homeschooling? Syllabi/content lists/curriculum overviews- whatever?

• Like 2

Please note, he already has OVER 30 college credits and is a transfer student.....is it really necessary to go through all that for the transcript for high school?

Does he just have all those credits, or is he actually entering as a transfer student as opposed to a freshman?

Colleges typically have different requirements for transfer admission vs freshman admission. I would not bother with course descriptions for a transfer student, because admissions decisions will be mainly based on the college GPA.

• Like 2

Don't go by what your friend says - ask the college whether they want to see course descriptions.

Don't you have any records from your homeschooling? Syllabi/content lists/curriculum overviews- whatever?

Nope, I would need to find them all online, I just used the ones that came with the curricula, but i have sold it all, with the materials.

Once my oldest went to community college and the others went to school, I got rid of as much as I could.  He has a 3.85 in CC, I didn't think anyone would be hounding me for high school stuff anymore.

I didn't keep any of the books or curriculum, but I am far too obsessive not to have it all recorded :blush: . Since you don't, I'd try the application without it or ask the college and see if it is necessary so you can start finding it if it is needed.

You still haven't really answered Regentrude's question of whether he is applying as a transfer student or if he is applying as a freshman with 30 hours of transfer credit. There is a difference. I wouldn't expect a transfer student to need as much documentation of high school, but if he is applying as a freshman, having college credits won't change the high school documentation that the college will want to see. Many kids apply to college with that many credits taken during high school. 

• Like 2

He is officially a transfer student, but we don't know how many credits they will accept.  All classes were taken AS a college student.

In that case, i would not bother with course descriptions for high school work at all, because that will have no affect on his admission or scholarships - these depend on the college GPA.

• Like 3

In that case, i would not bother with course descriptions for high school work at all, because that will have no affect on his admission or scholarships - these depend on the college GPA.

Actually, that is only part of it, the bulk of the scholarships and admissions will depend on his portfolio. 

Ok, thanks.

Has your friend had a student admitted to this particular school (and if so, did her student also transfer)? Is she suggesting course descriptions because she found them helpful in getting her student a scholarship at this school? What all do they want in a portfolio--just artwork? For a transfer student with that many credits, I wouldn't think the high school classes would really "count" as far as getting a scholarship goes--but if you think they won't accept all of the credits, then maybe it's best to check with the school to see what they really want. 

Has your friend had a student admitted to this particular school (and if so, did her student also transfer)? Is she suggesting course descriptions because she found them helpful in getting her student a scholarship at this school? What all do they want in a portfolio--just artwork? For a transfer student with that many credits, I wouldn't think the high school classes would really "count" as far as getting a scholarship goes--but if you think they won't accept all of the credits, then maybe it's best to check with the school to see what they really want. 

No, her kids were in a very different situation.   They won't take all of his credits and don't take many outside credits, we know that going in, however, it will also prove that he can do college level work to have that many credits on his college transcript.   The truth is, his portfolio is the #1 piece in this to make or break his acceptance.  They care about academic ability, but they will clearly see he is capable with his transcript.   I am not sure if my friend fully gets that.  Her kids went to traditional colleges for traditional majors.

I emailed the guy who has been his advisor through the  process and will see what he says.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Got my answer.  They don't need details, just a list of classes, grade determination, and a copy of my Homeschool Legal form with the state verifying that I homeschooled.

Thankfully I was able to figure out how to find that and get a copy.

They said they need that legal form for anyone who doesn't currently hold a bachelor's and is coming in as an undergraduate no matter what year/level.

Dawn

• Like 2

Great news and I'm glad you're in a state that can provide a Homeschool legal form (whatever that may be)! It doesn't exist here and my kids would be excluded from applying. 

They had to look up my state as it is different than theirs, so I think there are concessions for different states.  

• Like 2