Menu

If I didn't like Right Start math the first time, will I like it with my youngest?

vaquitita

I used first edition RS A a few years ago with my daughter, we did enjoy it, tho I had a little issue with not knowing why I was doing something and where it was headed, but moved on after that year because it was too many pieces, required too much Mom time for games, etc.

I am considering it again for my youngest next year. He's a very social, wiggly little boy and I can RS being a great for for him. Am I crazy for thinking I will like it better this time?

Edited by vaquitita

Since you've already made the investment and are somewhat familiar with the program, why not just try and see? I found that I was able to pull concepts from RS that I picked up from using with my first, to then teach my second in a less structured way. That being said, I did end up jumping ship and switching to Singapore (and later Beast), for the reasons you outlined -- too many pieces, too cumbersome...

This is a tough question to answer. My little man loved RS. But then, so did I. I loved the RS manipulatives far better than the Saxon ones we had previously used (Levels K and 1). RS manipulatives were functional and made sense. I thought Saxon had too many worthless manipulatives, so that's where I was coming from. We both fell in love in RS right away. And I like that RS is teacher intensive. But... will you like RS? Perhaps your opinion won't change, but your little guy love may it, if you can swing it. It'll still be teacher intensive, even if your olders play games with him. 

I think it depends on your kid and your situation.  I loved RS for my older two, but it was easy to implement because they were working at the same level.  I'm having more trouble with YDS.  He enjoys RS, and I still like the way math concepts are introduced (though honestly, A was just okay--B is the one I really love), but it's harder to do with just one kid since it's so parent-intensive.  I find it hard to keep my other kids busy while I do the lesson and games with him; inevitably, someone needs help with their math or the computer freezes up or...and then either YDS is left waiting for me or the older two run out of things they can figure out and then they sit around waiting.

That said, I like RS well enough that I'm thinking of abandoning AAS so I can continue RS with him while having one less thing he needs me 100% for.

If you have it, I'd give it a try; the worst that can happen is that you decide you don't like it well enough to continue.  MEP is another good option for a social, wiggly kid, and you can test that out for free (or keep it as your backup plan).