Menu

Anyone not like the Lively Art of Writing?

ByGrace3

We are only on chapter 2 but I am not feeling it...we did WWS1 with WTMA Lat year and we loved WWS. This year we are doing writing as a part of co-op so I needed something that other kids could join in. We are also doing BW style projects, but I wanted something as a spine of sorts to keep the kids with something consistent as a spine... But now, I'm not sure if LAoW is it...does it get better? Should we wait it out or move on?

Can you use its ideas without actually focusing on it? What is teaches about essay structure is fine. It is definitely not a book that I would use as is. Its content is extremely dated and not something that most students are going to be able to relate to. You could, however, use what it shares about how to write and structure and then use better essay examples. (Patterns in College Writing has some great essays incorporated as examples. If you Google the 12th edition, you can find the PDF of the text online. If you want more detailed instruction on how to write an essay, though, Patterns is more implicit than explicit whereas LAoW is more explicit.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

Somewhere here there is a thread discussing alternate essay topics for LAoW. Might need Google to find it since the search here is so bad.

If I find it, I'll come back to post it.

:bigear:

Google came up with this thread: Coming up with persuasive essay topics

Another super helpful thread about LAoW with links to other threads.

• Like 1