Menu

Is it reasonable to request to take a test with a different section?

Dmmetler

DD is taking a college math class where all work and exams are done online. She's attending the hybrid section where this stuff is done on campus and the professor lectures live, but there's an online-only section that watches the class videos and does the assignments, with set exam dates.

The State herp society meeting is coming up, and the first day is the same day as the first exam. But, the online class takes the test two nights before in a set proctored time period.

DD would really like to be able to attend the full meeting-and, indeed, won't be able to present her poster if she is not there the first day. Is it reasonable for her to ask if she can take the exam with the other section, or should she just give up on being able to present?

She should talk to the prof but it is very likely that she will be able to take the test with the other section.

My son ended up in an online biology class this semester. It has three in person tests and an in person final. All of which are scheduled during his Calculus class time or during his calculus final. He went and talked to the prof and found out she is teaching two sections of biology, the online one and an in person one. My son will be taking his tests with the other section. It is not a usual problem, they work really hard at not overlapping tests/finals but the online class thing disrupts their careful planning.

She was very nice about it.

• Like 2

My daughter missed dual-enrollment class for almost a week to present at a scientific meeting. Just be very specific - my research has been accepted as a poster for xyz meeting, so I need to miss class that day. It's the kind of thing professors want to support -- even the ones where the syllabus says no make-up exams are allowed. :-)

• Like 5