Menu

Please suggest a math program for 2nd grader

emesszee

Hi all, 
For my son, we meandered around from K-2 without a formal math curriculum but he was math-oriented and finished drill books and did flashcards for fun.. we started Saxon 5/4 in grade 3 and he went through it nicely. 
My daughter is the opposite.. she's almost 7 and in grade 2 and isn't very strong in anything past simple addition up to 20 and subtraction. I'm looking for suggestions for a program or programs that assist in laying a strong foundation for the basics. Thank you so much in advance! 

I would also say Rod and Staff 2 or 3. Look at samples on http://www.milestonebooks.com

You can often find the teachers manuals used for not much. This is a solid traditional arithmetic option. It appears "slow" in 1-3 but builds a very solid foundation for higher math and catches up in 4-7. The student is ready for Algebra in 8th. You can read more about it and get lesson plans for it from Memoria Press. They use it for K-6. Martin coffrin wrote an article about it on the site https://www.memoriapress.com/articles/why-johnny-cant-add/

Edited by Rjha
  • Like 2

My go-to recommendation is CLE. I love CLE for thorough, solid elementary math. I have used R&S with one child, and that might fit the bill too.

It sounds like your ds is a bit accelerated in math. I think that can throw off a person's perspective sometimes. If your dd is still 6, she would be considered a first grader in 45(ish?) states. Maybe not in your state, but she is definitely young for her grade if you consider her 2nd. She sounds like she is doing really well!

Maybe you have other reasons for looking for a math program, but it might help to keep that in mind as you make your decision. :)

• Like 3

Hi all, 

For my son, we meandered around from K-2 without a formal math curriculum but he was math-oriented and finished drill books and did flashcards for fun.. we started Saxon 5/4 in grade 3 and he went through it nicely. 

My daughter is the opposite.. she's almost 7 and in grade 2 and isn't very strong in anything past simple addition up to 20 and subtraction. I'm looking for suggestions for a program or programs that assist in laying a strong foundation for the basics. Thank you so much in advance! 

Rod and Staff Publishers' "Working Arithmetic." You're going to spend about 10 minutes teaching, using the scripted oral class time lessons in the excellent teacher edition, and then she will do her seat work, which reinforces what you just taught. I would also recommend getting the blacklines and using those.

• Like 1

My go-to recommendation is CLE. I love CLE for thorough, solid elementary math. I have used R&S with one child, and that might fit the bill too.

It sounds like your ds is a bit accelerated in math. I think that can throw off a person's perspective sometimes. If your dd is still 6, she would be considered a first grader in 45(ish?) states. Maybe not in your state, but she is definitely young for her grade if you consider her 2nd. She sounds like she is doing really well!

Maybe you have other reasons for looking for a math program, but it might help to keep that in mind as you make your decision. :)

I really needed to hear this, thanks! We are in Ontario, Canada, where my DD is always one of the youngest in her "grade" (this doesn't mean much because we HS, but the kids still love talking about what grade they're in anyway, lol). I went to school in the US though and I know that 6 was always considered a 1st grader! 

And thanks so much everyone for the suggestions again. I only really knew Saxon/Singapore/Math Mammoth as options, so glad to know there's a lot of good curriculum out there. 

• Like 1

I really needed to hear this, thanks! We are in Ontario, Canada, where my DD is always one of the youngest in her "grade" (this doesn't mean much because we HS, but the kids still love talking about what grade they're in anyway, lol). I went to school in the US though and I know that 6 was always considered a 1st grader!

And thanks so much everyone for the suggestions again. I only really knew Saxon/Singapore/Math Mammoth as options, so glad to know there's a lot of good curriculum out there.

When is her birthday? I think Ontario has a Dec31 cutoff like many provinces? If her Birthday is still coming up for the year, then yes, she is 2nd grade....

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I agree with CLE. Last year in second grade my Dd finished the second grade material for MIF in January, but I didn't think she was strong enough or confident enough to move directly in to MIF 3. So I bought her the second semester of CLE 2 and it was great. It was the right decision for this child, did wonders for her confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter

We're doing Horizons this year for the first time. It's colorful and bright. My son says that it is fun and he looks forward to doing a lesson every day, which is a HUGE and wonderful change from the PACE program we got stuck with for 1st grade.

I'm told Horizons is a pretty rigorous program that is actually a grade level ahead, but that it builds up slowly so as not to overwhelm the student (and math hating teachers). A spiral method math is a must-have for us, though. So far so good! :)