Menu

I just wish I knew which way Irma was going to head......or I miss and am worried about my baby.

8filltheheart

We lived through Hugo when it hit SC.  We were living near Columbia and were about the same distance from Myrtle Beach as Charleston is from Columbia.  We had no power for 3 weeks b/c the storm packed such a huge punch and trees and power lines were down everywhere.

I really just want to go and pick dd up and bring her home so I know that she safe and not living through a bad storm alone. 

Instead, I just keep turning on my tv and pacing b/c I feel trapped here!

:grouphug: :grouphug:   It is so hard when our children move into the bigger world.  We can't protect them like we could when they were in elementary school.

Your daughter is in college, right? And if she's in an area subject to these storms, the college will have some sort of safety measures & precautions in place. She'll be ok.  But I know that is no where near as comforting as having her with you.

Well the governor apparently plans to announce forced evacuations with all interstate lanes heading north into Columbia.  That will make Columbia a zoo.  Universities to the south (even those only 25 miles south) have cancelled classes starting tonight so students can evacuate and USC says its business as usual.  Ugh. 

Irma is a tough call, esp for those in states to the north.  I hope USC can make up their minds by the end of classes tomorrow since they don't seem to be cancelling them.  How far of a drive is it for you - or could she carpool with some friends toward your direction if they opt to evacuate?

Irma is a tough call, esp for those in states to the north.  I hope USC can make up their minds by the end of classes tomorrow since they don't seem to be cancelling them.  How far of a drive is it for you - or could she carpool with some friends toward your direction if they opt to evacuate?

We moved over the summer, so what was 10 hrs is now only a little over 3.  It is doable for me to just drive there and get her.  I would just go and pick her up tomorrow after classes, but she is supposed to be at an event on Saturday that they haven't canceled.  (It is connected to her scholarship.)  If she stays for the event, getting in and out of Columbia is going to be a nightmare.

Yes....I have turned into "that" parent.  I have never felt like this with any of the other kids, but I hate storms and I think it is making me crazy.

• Like 3

We moved over the summer, so what was 10 hrs is now only a little over 3.  It is doable for me to just drive there and get her.  I would just go and pick her up tomorrow after classes, but she is supposed to be at an event on Saturday that they haven't canceled.  (It is connected to her scholarship.)  If she stays for the event, getting in and out of Columbia is going to be a nightmare.

Yes....I have turned into "that" parent.  I have never felt like this with any of the other kids, but I hate storms and I think it is making me crazy.

Can she contact someone in charge of that event to see if it can be rescheduled or missed considering the planned route they expect Irma to take?  It's tough to think she's the only one who would want to leave - esp since it's a state school with most students being in-state and potentially affected.  It'd be worth checking on anyway - or does she not share your concern?  If she doesn't, then that makes it tougher for sure.

• Like 1

Well the governor apparently plans to announce forced evacuations with all interstate lanes heading north into Columbia.  That will make Columbia a zoo.  Universities to the south (even those only 25 miles south) have cancelled classes starting tonight so students can evacuate and USC says its business as usual.  Ugh. 

My mother lives in West Columbia and works for the University.  The only thing she's concerned about is losing electricity. They had no impacts from Hugo or last year's (Two year ago?) flooding of the city

My mother lives in West Columbia and works for the University.  The only thing she's concerned about is losing electricity. They had no impacts from Hugo or last year's (Two year ago?) flooding of the city

I am not worried about her at all anymore.  They made the decision to cancel classes on Monday, so she is happy to have a long weekend. 

• Like 7

I am not worried about her at all anymore.  They made the decision to cancel classes on Monday, so she is happy to have a long weekend. 

Good.  I was coming here to post that all area K-12 school have been cancelled for Monday and I would be surprised if the colleges didn't do the same.