Menu

What are you doing with your 4yo?

StaceyinLA

We have chosen to prioritize movement and muscle development as well as reading and math stuff.

We do a lot of detailed manipulative work--bead patterns on strings,cutting, pasting, coloring, clay, painting and ASL as a language and tracing help the fine motor skills.

Gross motor activities Are obstacle course, running, balance bike, trampoline, climbing, monkey bars and indoors activities that requires the body. PT outdoor immersion preK.

We do an Academically leaning Circle Time type thing several days a week...

We have Jr read and do math for several minutes a day,usually

Morning:

Mine joins us for circle time at the beginning of the school day. That is a short devotion from a book intended for ages 3-8. Then we discuss our virtue card and sing the corresponding song. After that he goes off to play while I work with other kids. Somewhere in the next hour or so I do his aar review cards with him, which takes less than 5 minutes. Then he is off to play again. After another 30-45 minutes of play we work together on miquon for about 10-15 minutes, depending on his interest, then more play time. At 9:45 everyone reads. Big kids have silent reading from book basket while 4 yo does aar with me. Then more playing, then read aloud with me before lunch..

Afternoon:

Everyone plays outside for awhile after lunch. When the older kids do geography (4x per week for 30 min) I read him a page from nat geo "little kids first big book of the world" and do something in his usborne sticker atlas. He generally likes to tag along for history/geography, so I always make sure to have enough materials for him to join us if he wants. If we're doing something like reading independently for geography I will put on something educational for him. Dinosaur train and magic school bus are my go-to's. When olders do science (3x per week for 30 min) he hangs out with us and seems to grasp quite a bit. It would really be hard for me to keep him away actually. He truly loves all things science-related. If I wasn't schooling olders I would probably have a science time for him. However, with the olders around, they are constantly teaching him about birds and plants and stars and animals and insects and fish.....

Weekly:

Twice per week we do a lesson from iew printing with letter stories. These are short and fun-about 10 minutes including the large motor and silly stories-not 10 straight minutes of writing. Once per week he tags along for art, and once per week he does music. The music and movement period is intended for him, but my olders enjoy it so I just have everybody do it together.