What's with the ads?

#1 StaceyinLA

StaceyinLA

Granny Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5959 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Dgd is turning 4 in a week and my dd is wondering what others are doing at this age?

Obviously lots of reading aloud, but what are some more "formal" things you do with your 4yos?

#2 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3949 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

Well, he hangs out a lot with our science and social studies stuff, participates as he can, but I don't know how much he gets out of it.

As far as "formal,"

I am doing Explode the Code: Get Ready for the Code with him.  He's almost finished with book B, so I am going to go on to book C....if we get finished with it, I will go ahead and order book one for him.

I am doing MEP, the Reception year for math.  "Reception" is I think equivilant to Kindy, but I don't think it's terribly advanced.

I also do a "Letter of the Week" thing that I picked up at goodwill for a buck.  Included with that, I specifically have him practicing cutting after I realized a couple weeks ago that he hadn't picked up a pair of scissors at all before that date.  The book has a lot of cut and paste stuff, so I choose as many of those activities each week for this....it's about the cutting as much as the "letter of the week."

The only other "formal" thing I am working with him on is writing my phone number and DH's.  We aren't doing address because it's going to change in 10 months.  But this is really just, I write out the number, and have him copy it under that. 

That's really about it for "formal" stuff.  We go to the library every week and the kids have to check out a specific number of books.  We have a reading chart and he participates in those things just like the girls, but on weeks like this week when there's a holiday, when we have doc appointments that can't be avoided/rescheduled, etc, it can be difficult to squeeze that all in with him.  When we do group activities like mystery science, if I can give him a specific task or "call on" him to answer a question, I will.  And, if I come up with something else to throw in occasionally, I just toss it in. 

ETA: My 4yr old turns 5 in about a month and a half.  His birthday misses the cut off so he would not be in Kindy this year if we were in public school. 

ETA again:last year I didn't start ETC until about halfway through the year.  The most formal I got was I bought a big preschool workbook and did a page or two with him when I felt like it.  That, and having him write numbers or letters on the dry erase tablet.  Nothing more formal than that, and probably only about half the week. 

Edited by happysmileylady, 06 September 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#3 desertflower

desertflower

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

For formal:

All about reading prelevel

Spanish songs from SSS

Latin songs from SSL

Preschool math from Kate Snow

#4 mathmarm

mathmarm

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1183 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

We have chosen to prioritize movement and muscle development as well as reading and math stuff.

We do a lot of detailed manipulative work--bead patterns on strings,cutting, pasting, coloring, clay, painting and ASL as a language and tracing help the fine motor skills.

Gross motor activities Are obstacle course, running, balance bike, trampoline, climbing, monkey bars and indoors activities that requires the body. PT outdoor immersion preK.

We do an Academically leaning Circle Time type thing several days a week...

We have Jr read and do math for several minutes a day,usually

#5 mathmarm

mathmarm

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1183 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

We try and keep academic "lessons" shorter and emphasize more of the rest of the world around us to Jr.

I started a thread on Nonacademic PreK and K also, as well as work books for things BESIDES the usual academics, on this sub forum some where...

#6 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3949 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

Spanish songs from SSS

Oh I forgot, DH is trying to teach himself Spanish with Duolingo, and DS4 will sit with him on that, helping him.  It's not "formal" really, because DH is doing it for him and doesn't call DS over nor does he make him stay....it's really just DS watching.

We have chosen to prioritize movement and muscle development as well as reading and math stuff.

We do a lot of detailed manipulative work--bead patterns on strings,cutting, pasting, coloring, clay, painting and ASL as a language and tracing help the fine motor skills.

Gross motor activities Are obstacle course, running, balance bike, trampoline, climbing, monkey bars and indoors activities that requires the body. PT outdoor immersion preK.

We do an Academically leaning Circle Time type thing several days a week...

We have Jr read and do math for several minutes a day,usually

I try to make sure most of DS day is outside.  climbing on our playset tower, climbing trees, roller skating (all the kids love to skate) helping the girls practice softball, making up a show, and lots of little boy crashing and bashing and running lol

#7 Syllieann

Syllieann

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Morning:
Mine joins us for circle time at the beginning of the school day. That is a short devotion from a book intended for ages 3-8. Then we discuss our virtue card and sing the corresponding song. After that he goes off to play while I work with other kids. Somewhere in the next hour or so I do his aar review cards with him, which takes less than 5 minutes. Then he is off to play again. After another 30-45 minutes of play we work together on miquon for about 10-15 minutes, depending on his interest, then more play time. At 9:45 everyone reads. Big kids have silent reading from book basket while 4 yo does aar with me. Then more playing, then read aloud with me before lunch..

Afternoon:
Everyone plays outside for awhile after lunch. When the older kids do geography (4x per week for 30 min) I read him a page from nat geo "little kids first big book of the world" and do something in his usborne sticker atlas. He generally likes to tag along for history/geography, so I always make sure to have enough materials for him to join us if he wants. If we're doing something like reading independently for geography I will put on something educational for him. Dinosaur train and magic school bus are my go-to's. When olders do science (3x per week for 30 min) he hangs out with us and seems to grasp quite a bit. It would really be hard for me to keep him away actually. He truly loves all things science-related. If I wasn't schooling olders I would probably have a science time for him. However, with the olders around, they are constantly teaching him about birds and plants and stars and animals and insects and fish.....

Weekly:
Twice per week we do a lesson from iew printing with letter stories. These are short and fun-about 10 minutes including the large motor and silly stories-not 10 straight minutes of writing. Once per week he tags along for art, and once per week he does music. The music and movement period is intended for him, but my olders enjoy it so I just have everybody do it together.

#8 StaceyinLA

StaceyinLA

Granny Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5959 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

Thanks!! This should give dd some ideas!