Menu

High School and afterschooling?

I am just wondering if anyone does this?  After years of home school we sent our kids to public school for various reasons.  At the high school they do accept credits earned from an accredited institution.  So, my son could take a class or two online- I am considering this because he has had minimal homework so far (it's been almost a month) and free up time in his junior/senior for what he is interested in.  However, I am going to wait a couple more weeks before we start exploring our options to make sure he does not get overloaded.  I am just curious if anyone does some sort of afterschooling at the high school level such as online classes or something else?

Thanks!

Summer classes are much easier. One summer in high school, I was working 40 hours a week, volunteering 8 hours a week, and completing the economics requirement for graduation via correspondence. I also took two other classes via summer school in other years to again fill requirements.

During the school year, if your teen doesn't have enough to do, I'd encourage a job or a club/sport/hobby rather than more classes, which are likely to have the biggest workload timed with a high workload from school.

If the difficulty level of high school isn't appropriate, your child should be in more advanced classes that offer a higher workload and a higher pace.

Edited by Have kids -- will travel
  • Like 1

Thank you!  He is participating in an activity now but that will end in a month, then his next one he is interested in will be in a few months.  He can't switch classes right now as the school is overflowing.  But, it does give us an idea for next year in regards to correct placement!

I do like the suggestion of perhaps a job- maybe he could choose between a job or class depending how the year continues (or see if he can come up with something else).

Thanks!

Yes - I "after-schooled" DS in high school level Math up to and including Precalc (He took Algebra 1 in 7th). We actually did most of it during the summer months since it is just plain "hot" here anyways so besides swimming you don't go out much.

I was not happy with most of his B&M Charter school Math courses and teachers.

I also wanted to use more challenging text books etc such as AoPS and Foerster.

He had a good teacher for AP Calc A/B last year (Junior year) so we ended that program.

Did some Physics this year.

I would customize it to help meet his long term goals/needs.

There are a lot of resources out there.

Yes,students here often self study an AP class such as Macro or microeconomics if they have the math for it, or if they can swing the $$, they take a class from JHU-CTY or Art of Problem Solving. My state limits the amount of credits that can be transferred in from other providers; check state regs if you go that route. Also consider sports or private music lessons. My dc enjoyed the C problems from the Dolciani math texts while the teacher was remediating.

Edited by Heigh Ho