Menu

Memoria Press vs TWTM for 1st-3rd grade?

TheAttachedMama

The enrichment books include integrated science and history. I'm using the first grade enrichment book -- and read alouds, both the regular read aloud package and the additional science read alouds. I don't personally think it has enough history or science... FOR US, but you have to understand that MP definitely views those grades as skill building and literature focused, so it definitely works into their philosophy. 

I'm adding in SOTW ancients (twice weekly) and Science in the Ancient World (Jay Wile)... but I have a third grader (SNs, but loves science and history) using this as well, and I think that what MP has written is PLENTY for most K-2nd graders. My own kids have to work so stinkin' hard on the basic skills like reading and writing, that I try to add in more "joy" (and for them, that looks like more history and science). 

Personally, I feel like MP's younger stuff looks drab, but my first grader is doing their Storytime Treasures and loves it (though, were doing it orally). TBH, if you look at where MP takes a kid, you'll see that their method works.

I just prefer TWTM because it's heavy on history and science and grammar, which feels more fun to my kids than skill work.

I was wondering this too, and eventually went with MP because I wanted to have everything at my fingertips. I got the read-aloud sets, but decided to pick and choose from the supplemental science and enrichment set, because Dr. Seuss science books make me twitchy. Basically I just give myself permission to get books from Amazon (or the library, but mine isn't so great) as they come up in our schedule. Sometimes I replace it with something meatier, or skip it altogether.

I think MP meshes well with TWTM, but it's more literature-focused when it comes to history and science, at least at these lower grades. Luckily I have the type of kid who loves to listen to SOTW audiobooks, read DK science books, and tinker with science-y things, so we have all our bases covered. YMMV, but I'm finding it really easy to get TWTM levels of science and history while using MP as a core.

My kids love the read-aloud sets and I'm glad we got them. I have a friend who's reading Shakespeare to her kids of similar ages, so it doesn't sound very impressive to say "oh, cool, yeah, we're studying A Visitor for Bear this week," but one set of kids is more enthusiastic about storytime than the other...

• Like 2

I used WTM suggestions for my oldest 3 kids. We enjoyed schooling those early years and my boys have done well.

For the baby of my family I knew I just wanted a box with plans laid out and little boxes to mark complete. We started MP in K and are now in 4th grade. I love it and at this point in my homeschooling /parenting career it is perfect. My dd is doing very well. I just do the plans as written and don't give any thought to if here was something we would like better. I don't tweak or add to it. We just do school and it is lovely.

Both worked for my family. With my oldest kids I was motivated and energetic and always tweaking, researching other curriculum, schedules, etc. I never could have ordered a box because I would have thought I could improve it. I wouldn't have been able to stay in the box. WTM suggestions were more flexible. Now, it works for us just to have it planned out and I know at the end of the day we have done enough and I'm not always trying to squeeze more in.

I still love WTM and my second youngest has benefited tremendously from the WTMA online classes. He has taken maybe 13 classes? It has been awesome. I will take my dd down the MP path as long as it works and then use WTMA or MP online classes.

Both great programs. Just look at which style fits your family best right now.

Also- not sure you mentioned how many kids you have. I have used MP with my only one that needs my help. I think it would be much harder with multiple students.