Menu

Would you guys let me brag for a moment?

lewelma

Thanks guys! I think he is pretty pleased with himself. From my point of view, I was really surprised that he was not nervous on the first day.  He had tutored one of the kids before and his friend had tutored another, so he knew that they were *far* apart in skill level. And he both had both 8th and 10th graders, so different maturity levels too.  I was actually kind of surprised that the head of the math department thought that ds could pull it off with that range of students, but ds has met him before when taking Olympiads so he must have made a good impression. DS suggested the group start with 4 kids and build up over time to 10, which the head must have thought was reasonable. DS was telling stories about how he tried to make sure all the kids understood, how he would give them a chance to solve the problems, then walk through the solutions and say stuff like "remind me how you solved that part" or "do you know what led you to that insight?"  It just sounded like he knew what he was doing.  I guess it is all the camps he has been to -- he must have modeled his approach off of some of the lecturers. And the one boy he though was at the bottom of the group wrote him that night having completed his homework and asking if it was right. So that was a good sign. I had ds write the head of the math department with a bit of a debrief because if ds can do this for a full year, this guy is going to be a great recommendation for his first paying job.  I'm just thinking of all the skills he is going to develop. Now I just need to drop down his academic work load to make sure there is space for this new endeavour.  Ah, what to change....  

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 8

... DS has approached the top high school in the city and offered to teach a weekly olympiad math course this year for their top math students with the hopes of getting some of them into the olympiad math camp in January 2019.  ..

Kudos to him!  I hope he and his students have a wonderful year.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1