Menu

Nonsense word documents: Update, added test of nonsense words

I made a document with 10 pages of different types of nonsense words, organized in groups of 25 for easy timing and tracking, with a separate document for tracking them.

I am working on a Version 2 with the same types of words, and then a 3rd version, 20 pages of all types mixed.

They are links #6 and 7 of the Teacher folder of my Syllables page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

If you want to chart accuracy, groups of 25 makes the math easy, you can use the same graph or a different one, using the WPM numbers as % accurately read on the tracking graph.

ETA: Version 2 and 3 are done, added at the link above!!

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 8

Thanks for posting these. Used them yesterday with a student; it was very illuminating, and gave me an idea of where we need to go from here.

You're welcome!  I've found them very valuable with my tutoring.  I also have an assessment linked to my online phonics lessons with nonsense words:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/newelizabethian.html

If you prefer my new Syllables series, it is secular and better for a younger student, I can correlate them for you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm super curious to give my ds that test. Really though, it's stuff a kid doing Barton should do pretty well on, especially if they've done RAN/RAS work as well. The lists are mostly one syllable. To me the challenge is getting him more intuitive on multi-syllable words. We've worked on it, but it seems like there ought to be a follow-up list for that test to quantify where kids are at with syllabication.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

I'm super curious to give my ds that test. Really though, it's stuff a kid doing Barton should do pretty well on, especially if they've done RAN/RAS work as well. The lists are mostly one syllable. To me the challenge is getting him more intuitive on multi-syllable words. We've worked on it, but it seems like there ought to be a follow-up list for that test to quantify where kids are at with syllabication.

You can try my nonsense word syllable division worksheet.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/Syllable%20Division%20Exercises%20Nonsense%20Words.pdf

• Like 1

My son, who is not dyslexic but needed a lot of repetition with phonics, had to work on multi syllable words until he was 10.  Some of my girl remedial student with actual underlying problems were faster at some of the multi-syllable things than he was at the same age, I was working with a 4th grade girl at the same time he was 4th grade and she required less repetition for some high level language based things than he did.

The problem is that English comes from several different languages and each language of origin divides words differently and has a different schwa accent problem.  Once you learn the spelling patterns of Greek, Greek words are actually the easiest to divide, they are generally compound words just like Anglo/Saxon words: houseboat, microscope.  

I would work on each type individually.  I have some language worksheets and exercises as part of my syllables program that goes into this and has exercises by language of origin, lessons 7 - 10.  Webster's Speller is also good in that it separates words by schwa accent pattern, making the pattern obvious to those that it isn't obvious to.  It is especially helpful for my boy students and ELL students and young students who do not as easily grasp the schwa accent pattern of words and how to divide them.  The only girls who have needed a lot of repetition in this area have been those with an underlying issue or ELL students, and like I said, even some of my girl students with issues have been good with multi syllable words once they learn syllable division rules and do a bit of Webster.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

• Like 1