Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Sept. 2017

Laurie4b

I've been taking a break from tennis to give my wrist a chance to rest up, and I've been doing some special strengthening exercises for it. I'm hoping that I'll be back in action soon!

In the meantime, I've been running on the treadmill at the gym, doing high-intensity intervals on the recumbent bike with arms, and cycling as much as possible. I'm finding treadmill running is much easier on my joints for some reason. I can manage multiple days in a row running without joint pain. Maybe it's because the surface conditions and the speeds are very controlled? I'm not sure, but I'm appreciating it! It is more boring mentally, but at one facility I can watch whats going on in the gymnasium. Friday evening was adult recreational volleyball. I used to love playing volleyball, but now I see that there is too much standing around. Tennis is much better for constant action. ;)

• Like 4

Thanks for starting the thread. I haven't read a lick of it but wanted to pop in and say "Hello". I'm in full tennis season and barely have time to relax. 12-14 hour days when I'm on campus and 24 hour days when we're on the road. Now that we're out of the conditioning and training portion of the season and into refinement and competition, my activity has changed. I'm not sedentary but I'm not lifting weights or running. I'm standing in place and feeding lots of balls or running between courts talking to players and coaching. I have lost 8 pounds (finally on the right track) and I do not want to gain any of it back. My eating habits stink and are of some concern. I either eat very little due to few GF options or I eat junk food (which sometimes is the only thing on hand that is GF). Carrying an extra cooler of GF food is an option but adds one more thing on my ever growing list of things to remember to take with me to meetings and matches.

I can say that I think I have never felt this content with my work situation; even teaching didn't satisfy me like coaching does. Maybe it's because I know this is temporary and I'm living my dream or maybe this is what I was meant to do all along. Regardless, I am going to make the most of each day and enjoy the experience.

• Like 5

Thanks for starting the thread. I haven't read a lick of it but wanted to pop in and say "Hello". I'm in full tennis season and barely have time to relax. 12-14 hour days when I'm on campus and 24 hour days when we're on the road. Now that we're out of the conditioning and training portion of the season and into refinement and competition, my activity has changed. I'm not sedentary but I'm not lifting weights or running. I'm standing in place and feeding lots of balls or running between courts talking to players and coaching. I have lost 8 pounds (finally on the right track) and I do not want to gain any of it back. My eating habits stink and are of some concern. I either eat very little due to few GF options or I eat junk food (which sometimes is the only thing on hand that is GF). Carrying an extra cooler of GF food is an option but adds one more thing on my ever growing list of things to remember to take with me to meetings and matches.

I can say that I think I have never felt this content with my work situation; even teaching didn't satisfy me like coaching does. Maybe it's because I know this is temporary and I'm living my dream or maybe this is what I was meant to do all along. Regardless, I am going to make the most of each day and enjoy the experience.

Sounds great! Enjoy yourself and all the best with your athletes in their competitions!

• Like 4

Friday we had some hiking and such. 

On Friday dd2 fell and got a nasty cut on her leg. She was wailing like she was dying, it was horrible. I ran out carrying her, she fell at the bottom of a steep very rocky hill. I was running on adrenaline trying to get her to the van and to get my first aid kit to stop the bleeding. Then I ended up nearly passing out I guess from the stress combined with the lack of food (we hadn't ate lunch yet and my breakfast wasn't big). I grabbed a few prunes and sat down while some other Moms helped for awhile then I got her to urgent care and she got stitches. It was so stressful, she had to get stitches a few years ago and the dr was horrendous, she was nearly screaming in terror. We got her relatively calm and this dr. used numbing spray instead of lidocaine shots so it went much better. That really zapped it out of us. When I finally made it home I ate and ate. 

Oh, no! I'm so sorry. I hope she's doing better. And you too!

So glad that you checked in and that you're doing so well!

• Like 2

I did intervals on the stepmill on Saturday, and went for a run this morning. My stepmill workout was the exact same intensity that I did last week, but last week I could barely get through the last two intervals and I got nauseated once I was done. This week it was much easier! And I inched up my run to 0.4 miles, and I listened to a Rich Roll podcast, which was fun.

• Like 3

Scoutermom- I am pleased as punch for you! 

thanks for the hugs, she is better now and I've come off the adrenaline.

I'm feeling much better. Fingers crossed and all that. I'm making no plans. I got a lot of sh*t going on this week. I hope to move as much as my schedule and body allows. 

• Like 4

I have a feeling that I am not going to get any exercise in today or tomorrow. I need to take my online final exam for my health coach certification. A friend who is also pursuing hers and is a nurse and attorney said it too her several hours which worries me some. Once you open the online test, you can't come back to it (well you can leave the window open--but no choice to do part today and part another day.) I am hoping to finish studying and do that tonight. Tomorrow, I need to finish my notes from the practicum and write up a case study and submit it. Then I am done. 

If I get done early either day, I'll do *something.*  If not, exercise will just be Wed-Sat this week.  Sadly, I just don't see a way around it. 

• Like 4

Laurie, I hope that your test goes/went well!

I did weights yesterday, and a run/walk this morning. Daughter has a cold, so no doubt I'll be getting it soon. Unfortunately I seem to get all the colds, and the last 7-10 days for me, so I'm dreading it. Im not even sick yet and I'm already whining about it!

• Like 4

Laurie- GL on your test let us know when you finish!

Just some walking here and working on cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, all day long :) I'm at the I don't feel I'll ever catch up stage. We started school full steam at the beginning of July, usually I take a break every 6 wks or so to catch up around the house but I taught yoga camp instead of taking a week off so I haven't had much time for the household since July put that on top of starting a new hs group, assisting with Scouts, and not feeling well half the time and it is all driving me crazy. I hate clutter and mess and gah. Anyway, I am feeling better than I was, not great but I'm not on the couch, so we're calling that a win.

Some of my labs have came back. Some numbers are good, one is a little questionable, could just be the Hashi's or indicating something serious. Irregardless I'd already planned to get a thyroid ultrasound so I'll find out soon enough if there is reason to be concerned (and I'm trying not to be a negative Nancy in the meantime). In all likelihood, it is just the thyroid disease and all the pleasantness with it. 

• Like 3

I went for a short run this morning, a couple bike rides, and played singles tennis for an hour this evening.  It was a gorgeous day outside, so I tried to make the most of it. My wrist felt pretty good while playing tennis. I play a mixed doubles competitive match tomorrow, so I'm hoping it's on the mend and will be fine tomorrow.

• Like 3

I'm back! Studied for 4-5 hours straight on Monday then took the test--about 1 1/2 hours.I did some back stretches and body squats every hour or so. Same thing with yesterday: was finishing my practicum notes.

My practicum notes and case study are now done,, but I ran into technical difficulties when I tried to submit them. (I hate google docs.) I've emailed the department and the professors are super nice so hope to get an answer tomorrow. I was so looking forward to hitting "Submit" and being done.  Whenever I accomplish that, I will need to wait 4-6 weeks to find out if I passed. I'm very excited about this new career! 

If I do pass (I think I will)  I will be certified through a local university which is recognized by the organization that is working toward a national certification process. I think I will try to sit for the first ever national exam which is fall 2018. Currently, there are no requirements that health coaches be certified, but lobbying has started to require certification and I want to get in ahead of the curve. 

Anyhoo, today I got in a very light upper body workout while on the playground supervising kids. (Did some incline push-ups on a kids' picnic table bench and some inverted rows hanging from other equipment. I also went to Zumba. The last few days of the week are supposed to be nice so I hope to get my walking/jogging done and I need to do a lower body strength training and a whole body one. 

• Like 4

Laurie4b - Congratulations on finishing!!!  Sounds really exciting. What exactly is involved in being a health coach?

The mixed doubles competitive match went really well last night. My wrist felt fine, and my partner and I won. We hadn't played together very often, so it did take a couple games to get into the swing of things.  Dh and I will play mixed doubles with friends this morning. Should be fun!

• Like 3

Laurie4b - Congratulations on finishing!!!  Sounds really exciting. What exactly is involved in being a health coach?

I actually just submitted everything after running into a technical glitch last night. Whew! Feels great!

Health coaching is an emerging health profession. Many insurance companies, practices, hospitals are now employing them. There is a huge difference in outcome when a doctor simply gives a patient information (You have high blood pressure. You should be on the DASH diet and also exercise 150 min per week.)  versus a patient having that same information but working with a coach to actually incorporate it into life long term.  Other coaches work privately, which is what I am intending. 

Many people know what they need to do to be healthy but can't get themselves to do it or start and then "fall off the wagon."  Many people have the idea that it is just a matter of "will power" or "discipline" and if they are not accomplishing their goals then they must be lazy, etc. (which is not the case)  

So a health coach partners with a client in a process of discovery to figure out what the barriers are (internal or external) and solutions to those barriers. It is not an advice-giving interaction: clients are  in the driver's seat and are respected as the person who is the expert on themselves. Coaching provides a positive kind of accountability that helps get and keep a person's mind "in the game" so to speak. Knowing that you have very specific goals that you will be discussing with your coach is a great way to maintain focus. It's not that you would anticipate a negative reaction if you didn't meet them, but rather that you'll be sitting down together to figure it out. We were taught basic principles of :motivational interviewing, which a quick google can pull up good links to. It was originally developed in helping people with addictions.  "Health can be defined quite broadly, as different aspects of our lives are intertwined. It is not therapy and it is not an advice giving profession like a dietitian or a personal trainer (though some coaches have credentials to do that, too and if so work out with their clients which "hat" to wear at any given time.) 

Hope that gives you an idea of the typical scope.

I am also considering another credential as a personal trainer for the elderly. But that will be more than a year from now, I think. 

• Like 3

I got in my walk/jog today. It was a pretty day and I am now up to 25 1/2 min of jogging per hour of exercising. I didn't get in a lower body workout as I had intended. I started during lunch hour but only got in some clamshells. So upper body will get 2 this week, but lower body only 1. I don't like missing that goal, but having to block off both Monday and Tuesday, with both yesterday and today with a lot of appointments was going to be a tough obstacle course. I've done 120 min of cardio though, so that is on track at least! 

• Like 3

Finished a little over 30 min of moderate cardio today. I had intended to do an hour in a place where there was a lot of natural beauty but I got caught by the sunset time and had to stay in the neighborhood. I've got to get it through my head that this isn't summer anymore!   Did my flexibility. 

Today is supposed to be an active rest day with tomorrow a full body strength workout, walking/jogging, and some light swing dance at night. 

I am about 1 lb away from where I was last Oct when I started a gradual ascent of 8 lbs. My goal is to get back to where I was and keep losing till my belly button measurement is 1/2 my height. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

I actually just submitted everything after running into a technical glitch last night. Whew! Feels great!

Health coaching is an emerging health profession. Many insurance companies, practices, hospitals are now employing them. There is a huge difference in outcome when a doctor simply gives a patient information (You have high blood pressure. You should be on the DASH diet and also exercise 150 min per week.)  versus a patient having that same information but working with a coach to actually incorporate it into life long term.  Other coaches work privately, which is what I am intending. 

Many people know what they need to do to be healthy but can't get themselves to do it or start and then "fall off the wagon."  Many people have the idea that it is just a matter of "will power" or "discipline" and if they are not accomplishing their goals then they must be lazy, etc. (which is not the case)  

So a health coach partners with a client in a process of discovery to figure out what the barriers are (internal or external) and solutions to those barriers. It is not an advice-giving interaction: clients are  in the driver's seat and are respected as the person who is the expert on themselves. Coaching provides a positive kind of accountability that helps get and keep a person's mind "in the game" so to speak. Knowing that you have very specific goals that you will be discussing with your coach is a great way to maintain focus. It's not that you would anticipate a negative reaction if you didn't meet them, but rather that you'll be sitting down together to figure it out. We were taught basic principles of :motivational interviewing, which a quick google can pull up good links to. It was originally developed in helping people with addictions.  "Health can be defined quite broadly, as different aspects of our lives are intertwined. It is not therapy and it is not an advice giving profession like a dietitian or a personal trainer (though some coaches have credentials to do that, too and if so work out with their clients which "hat" to wear at any given time.) 

Hope that gives you an idea of the typical scope.

I am also considering another credential as a personal trainer for the elderly. But that will be more than a year from now, I think. 

Wow, Laurie, this sounds amazing - what a fulfilling career, and what a wonderful way to help people!  

• Like 2

I haven't gotten my daughter's cold yet, so I'm still chugging along with my workouts.  Nothing too exciting to report, except that I'm glad we've gotten a little relief from the oppressive heat, because I'm really enjoying my runs, even though they are too short.  Outdoor exercise is so much more rewarding!  I'm rather sick of the gym at the moment, so I'm grateful that cooler weather is on the way, and I'm dreaming of moving to a place that isn't so very hot for so very much of the year.  Anyone familiar with Montana?  :D

• Like 2

I haven't gotten my daughter's cold yet, so I'm still chugging along with my workouts.  Nothing too exciting to report, except that I'm glad we've gotten a little relief from the oppressive heat, because I'm really enjoying my runs, even though they are too short.  Outdoor exercise is so much more rewarding!  I'm rather sick of the gym at the moment, so I'm grateful that cooler weather is on the way, and I'm dreaming of moving to a place that isn't so very hot for so very much of the year.  Anyone familiar with Montana?   :D

I so agree about outdoor exercise!  It feels so much better and there is research to back that up! Being in nature helps regulate our emotions and walking under trees (ie in a woods) lowers blood pressure more than the same walk in an urban area or gym. The Japanese have a word for it that translates as "wood bathing." 

• Like 2

Oh yes, outdoor exercise rocks! Tennis last night was really fun - mixed doubles with friends. I went for a 2 hour bike ride this morning long a wooded trail. It was amazing, especially because the leaves are starting to turn colour and the autumn smells are all around.  

It's not quite as fun being outdoors when the weather turns cold, wet and freezing, though. However, I'm really looking forward to some ski snow to do a lot of cross-country skiing this winter. Ds is already getting pumped about his biathlon training, too. 

• Like 2

Oh yes, outdoor exercise rocks! Tennis last night was really fun - mixed doubles with friends. I went for a 2 hour bike ride this morning long a wooded trail. It was amazing, especially because the leaves are starting to turn colour and the autumn smells are all around.  

It's not quite as fun being outdoors when the weather turns cold, wet and freezing, though. However, I'm really looking forward to some ski snow to do a lot of cross-country skiing this winter. Ds is already getting pumped about his biathlon training, too. 

Dh and I are in the market for a new-to-us used Subaru so that we can go to the mountains for cross-country skiing. I have only had the chance to do it a handful of times but just love it!  I envy you your out-the-door-to-ski opportunities on the one hand, but not the cold and length of winter on the other. So we're planning to drive!

• Like 2

The Japanese have a word for it that translates as "wood bathing."

That's cool - did not know that. I don't hike in the woods very often, because here you have to get up to fairly high altitude before there are any woods. But it's beautiful once you do, and really worth it. I'm so glad fall is on its way so that I'll have more opportunities to do that!

It's not quite as fun being outdoors when the weather turns cold, wet and freezing, though.

I'm sure you're right. I've lived in the desert for so long now that cold, wet, and freezing sounds really nice! But I might tire of it quickly. My ideal climate would be one that's cold but still sunny and a bit on the dry side (wet enough to have snow and trees, but not so wet that it's overcast and dreary a lot). I'm thinking Colorado, Wyoming, Montana might be best, but I'm open to other suggestions! Hubby is nearing retirement, and I am praying that we can move then. There are many things that I love about New Mexico, but many others that I hate. Twenty years is plenty. I'm ready to move on!

• Like 3

I'm sure you're right. I've lived in the desert for so long now that cold, wet, and freezing sounds really nice! But I might tire of it quickly. My ideal climate would be one that's cold but still sunny and a bit on the dry side (wet enough to have snow and trees, but not so wet that it's overcast and dreary a lot). I'm thinking Colorado, Wyoming, Montana might be best, but I'm open to other suggestions! Hubby is nearing retirement, and I am praying that we can move then. There are many things that I love about New Mexico, but many others that I hate. Twenty years is plenty. I'm ready to move on!

Yes, it is lovely to have 4 seasons, and outdoor skating, skiing, sledding, etc. Driving and even walking around in the ice and snow can be annoying and dangerous. 

Winter has an isolating effect on people. You don't see your neighbours as much. It's harder to get out and around, especially as people age.  Most retired people tend to head south in the winter to be honest. You'd have to be REALLY committed to ice, snow and cold to retire in the north. ;)  Why not take a few extended winter time vacations to see if it's all you think it would be. You might be able to do a house swap with a couple of "snow birds" heading down south in Jan - March. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Boy,, this week was really a revelation about what a break in routine can do. 

Today, I did a full lower body routine . Last time I did deadlifts (last week) ,  I did 17 lifts in 3 sets of the weight I'm working on. Today, I needed 5 sets to get those 17 in. But I'll be back on the wagon next week. Just did 2 sets of push-ups for upper body today. No rows. No core. I did get in 45 min walk with 25.5 min of jogging intervals embedded. I had left too late to stay longer at the park (it closes just before sunset) so I didn't have the option of as much rest between intervals as I normally have. I just had to push through to get done. It was a gorgeous day though so I enjoyed it except for the hound trying to root herself at a spot to sniff and me having to pull her along. 

Now off to swing-dance with dh. Nice light cardio and fun. 

• Like 3

The dc and I were outdoors biking and walking all morning volunteering at a charity fun run. I've helped out with this event for about 10 years, and the dc have either participated to helped out as they've gotten older. It was gorgeous weather for the event, and there was a good number of people participating.  We all napped in the afternoon, though. 

• Like 3

Yesterday, I did lower body strength training (Deadlifts day! I love deadlifts!) and then swam at a moderate pace for close to an hour at the pool. I did my flexibility exercises when I got home. 

Today, I need to get my upper body workout during lunch and I have either bad allergies or a cold going on. Tonight is Zumba. I also have a lot of housework to do (halfway through a closet clean-out project that must be done by tomorrow and the only time today will be after Zumba when I am often zonked.. So I hope I can get it all in! 

ETA: Done upper body, core, and Zumba. Zumba includes flexibility. These allergies or this cold or whatever it is is kicking my butt. I am totally draggin'. 

Tomorrow is my last day at home before hitting the road after work on Friday for an 8 hour trip, so Friday will be zero exercise. I hope to do a lower body workout and an hour walk with 27 min of jogging intervals. I've planned the same cardio on Saturday while visiting, and can hopefully do at least a bodyweight routine as well. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

I played my competitive tennis match tonight. I got to play mixed doubles with a wonderful player, which really took the pressure off me.  I played tennis last night and was making so many errors. My confidence wasn't great for tonight's match, but I'm feeling a bit better now. 

I'm blaming my errors on my racquet strings. I need it re-strung. ;)

• Like 2

My competitive match went really well. I was lucky enough to play mixed doubles with a very skilled player, so the pressure was off me. I didn't make nearly as many errors as the previous night, thank goodness!  We won, too, which is always nice.  This morning dh and I played doubles with friends, and had a really fun time. My racquet is also getting re-strung right now, so I won't be able to use that excuse for tomorrow's tennis.  :laugh:

• Like 1

This week has been great so far.  I haven't had a migraine since the weekend - which may not sound that impressive, but it is considering my track record!  Monday and Wednesday I did weights.  I'm struggling a bit in that area.  I don't seem to be able to increase my weight, I feel like I'm stuck doing the same workout over and over and over without making any progress.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to shake it up, I'd love to hear it.  My usual routine is three sets of ten on any given exercise (plus a warmup first).  Should I try doing longer sets (like 12 or 15 reps?)?  Or should I do shorter sets with heavier weights?  Or . . . anything else?

Tuesday I had a really nice run, and this morning I went to spin class.

• Like 2

Exercise and healthy eating have been so-so around here. I'm getting in some exercise with karate classes and morning walks and eating healthy meals some of the time. We've had birthdays and the accompanying cake in the house though. I threw out half a cake last night. I have never done that before but we were all eating too much of it and it needed to go.

We started back to school this week and that means the rest of our routine improves as well. We're getting up earlier and I'm walking 1.5-3 miles. We're cooking healthier meals too.

• Like 2

This week has been great so far. I haven't had a migraine since the weekend - which may not sound that impressive, but it is considering my track record! Monday and Wednesday I did weights. I'm struggling a bit in that area. I don't seem to be able to increase my weight, I feel like I'm stuck doing the same workout over and over and over without making any progress. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to shake it up, I'd love to hear it. My usual routine is three sets of ten on any given exercise (plus a warmup first). Should I try doing longer sets (like 12 or 15 reps?)? Or should I do shorter sets with heavier weights? Or . . . anything else?

How long have you stayed at your current weight? You mentioned that you're lifting twice a week. Is that normal? You may want to try increasing it to 3 times a week.

Edited by solascriptura
  • Like 1

How long have you stayed at your current weight? You mentioned that you're lifting twice a week. Is that normal? You may want to try increasing it to 3 times a week.

The goal is always three times a week, but the reality is usually two times a week. I think you've pinpointed the problem. Back when my husband I were going together three times a week I was making progress. But he stopped going several months ago, and I seem to only manage twice a week without him. And I haven't been able to make any progress since then. Thank you for helping me see what was right in front of me, and yet somehow unnoticed!

The goal is always three times a week, but the reality is usually two times a week. I think you've pinpointed the problem. Back when my husband I were going together three times a week I was making progress. But he stopped going several months ago, and I seem to only manage twice a week without him. And I haven't been able to make any progress since then. Thank you for helping me see what was right in front of me, and yet somehow unnoticed!

Personally, if I lift only for 2 times a week, its maintenance only. I hope you see some improvement soon! Keep us posted.

• Like 1

This week has been great so far.  I haven't had a migraine since the weekend - which may not sound that impressive, but it is considering my track record!  Monday and Wednesday I did weights.  I'm struggling a bit in that area.  I don't seem to be able to increase my weight, I feel like I'm stuck doing the same workout over and over and over without making any progress.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to shake it up, I'd love to hear it.  My usual routine is three sets of ten on any given exercise (plus a warmup first).  Should I try doing longer sets (like 12 or 15 reps?)?  Or should I do shorter sets with heavier weights?  Or . . . anything else?

Are you getting enough sleep? Getting true rest days when you're not doing either lifting or intense cardio? Getting enough protein?  Doing flexibility exercises? (nudge, nudge. IIRC, those are not your favorites.) 

You might want to check out a program that has all the variations structured into it for you like one of the Nia Shanks programs or one of the New Rules of Lifting books. (I like Supercharged and Life)  They do vary number of reps, etc. as well as providing alternate exercises so that you are not using the same exercise to work the same group of muscles each time. 

Eg.'s deadlift day alternating with squat day . Rows alternating with some kind of vertical pull. 

If I can do 3 sets of 10 reps of something I increase the weight. On the first day, I might only make 3-6 reps. If I only make 3 reps I will do 5 sets. Otherwise, I do 3. Then next time I try for 3 sets of 8 then 3 sets of 10, then move the weight up. 

I also aim for 3 times per week, but also only get in 2 times. I am progressing but probably not as fast as I could if I got in 3 times per week all the time. 

• Like 2

Personally, if I lift only for 2 times a week, its maintenance only. I hope you see some improvement soon! Keep us posted.

Thanks!

Are you getting enough sleep? Getting true rest days when you're not doing either lifting or intense cardio? Getting enough protein?  Doing flexibility exercises? (nudge, nudge. IIRC, those are not your favorites.) 

I think I'm doing well on all of those points except the bolded. :lol: You know me well! Not a fan of deep static stretching, but not opposed to range-of-motion exercises or gentle dynamic stretches. Never seem to manage to integrate those into my routine, though! Definitely need to work on that.

You might want to check out a program that has all the variations structured into it for you like one of the Nia Shanks programs or one of the New Rules of Lifting books. (I like Supercharged and Life)  They do vary number of reps, etc. as well as providing alternate exercises so that you are not using the same exercise to work the same group of muscles each time. 

Eg.'s deadlift day alternating with squat day . Rows alternating with some kind of vertical pull. 

If I can do 3 sets of 10 reps of something I increase the weight. On the first day, I might only make 3-6 reps. If I only make 3 reps I will do 5 sets. Otherwise, I do 3. Then next time I try for 3 sets of 8 then 3 sets of 10, then move the weight up. 

I also aim for 3 times per week, but also only get in 2 times. I am progressing but probably not as fast as I could if I got in 3 times per week all the time.

Thank you, this is all great advice!

I did insanity this morning. I have been consistently pushing play and doing a bbod workout and I can't believe how much better I feel, how much energy I now have(mowed the lawn and steam cleaned the carpet today) and best of all the weight is finally coming off. 15lb gone. Shorts I bought for summer are now to big oh and no more cellulite on my legs. Beach trip in 1 week. I think I'm ready.

• Like 4

I did insanity this morning. I have been consistently pushing play and doing a bbod workout and I can't believe how much better I feel, how much energy I now have(mowed the lawn and steam cleaned the carpet today) and best of all the weight is finally coming off. 15lb gone. Shorts I bought for summer are now to big oh and no more cellulite on my legs. Beach trip in 1 week. I think I'm ready.

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel awesome when your hard work pays off?

• Like 2

Greta---I was thinking about this while out for my walk/jog and realized I only posted about how I work up on the barbell. It's different with dumbbells because of the percentage of weight increase there is every time you go up a size. 5 lbs on the barbell if I have over 100 lbs on there already is a tiny percentage. However, 5 pounds increase from 20 lb dumbbells to 25 lbs is a 20% increase. So for those exercises, I tend to get up to 15-20 reps or so before I go up to the next level. 

About those static stretches: Just choose a few. If you did some kind of hamstring stretch (I like positions where I stretch both at one time instead of one at a time) quad stretches, and figure 4, and you held each stretch 30 sec, it would take 2 1/2 min. After decades of blowing them off, that's what got me finally doing them: I added up the time and what seemed like an oh so aggravating thing to add on to the end of a workout suddenly seemed doable. When I am at home, I put on really relaxing music while I do them and it's actually a nice experience. I do upper body stretches too but for your bigger leg work, I think you might find more progress if you can get yourself to put in the 2 1/2 minutes. ;) 

• Like 1

Awesome! Congrats, Lynn!

Greta---I was thinking about this while out for my walk/jog and realized I only posted about how I work up on the barbell. It's different with dumbbells because of the percentage of weight increase there is every time you go up a size. 5 lbs on the barbell if I have over 100 lbs on there already is a tiny percentage. However, 5 pounds increase from 20 lb dumbbells to 25 lbs is a 20% increase. So for those exercises, I tend to get up to 15-20 reps or so before I go up to the next level. 

About those static stretches: Just choose a few. If you did some kind of hamstring stretch (I like positions where I stretch both at one time instead of one at a time) quad stretches, and figure 4, and you held each stretch 30 sec, it would take 2 1/2 min. After decades of blowing them off, that's what got me finally doing them: I added up the time and what seemed like an oh so aggravating thing to add on to the end of a workout suddenly seemed doable. When I am at home, I put on really relaxing music while I do them and it's actually a nice experience. I do upper body stretches too but for your bigger leg work, I think you might find more progress if you can get yourself to put in the 2 1/2 minutes. ;)

Thank you, Laurie, you are such a great help! These are great suggestions.

Got home late tonight so only got in 45 min walk with 15 min of jogging intervals embedded. Was derailed at the beginning by a wasp stinging the dog, so I took her back home.  I did do my deadlifts when I came home and flexibility exercises. I wanted to get a good amount in the tank because tomorrow I will get a couple thousand steps in at rest stops as we travel and that's about it! I'll try to remember to do trapezius stretches in the car though. 

• Like 1

Went for a really nice bike ride this morning for about an hour. Then had a "girls gathering" with a couple moms and daughters at a river swimming area. It was great to visit and enjoy the outdoors. 

I need new running shoes as well as new tennis shoes. My feet are feeling the pain after I run or play tennis. 

• Like 2

Went for a really nice bike ride this morning for about an hour. Then had a "girls gathering" with a couple moms and daughters at a river swimming area. It was great to visit and enjoy the outdoors. 

I need new running shoes as well as new tennis shoes. My feet are feeling the pain after I run or play tennis. 

The river swimming sounds really nice!

I once put off getting new shoes and wound up with an injury to a tendon connected to my Achilles that took a significant amount of time to heal. On top of needing crutches, I wound up with a frozen shoulder from having to use the crutches! . When I researched the risk factors the list included: middle aged woman (check), running up hill  (check), wearing old shoes  (check). Since then, I no longer run up inclines and I get new shoes on schedule. I hope you have time to shop soon!

• Like 1

Visiting aging parents this weekend, Things take longer than planned and there is a need to go with the flow.So I wasnt able to get in strength training today (would have just been bodyweight exercises) but before dinner  I was able to get in an hour walk with 27 min of jogging intervals embedded. I hit my ideal cardio goals, and my "good enough" strength training goals for the week. 

• Like 1

I once put off getting new shoes and wound up with an injury to a tendon connected to my Achilles that took a significant amount of time to heal. On top of needing crutches, I wound up with a frozen shoulder from having to use the crutches! . When I researched the risk factors the list included: middle aged woman (check), running up hill  (check), wearing old shoes  (check). Since then, I no longer run up inclines and I get new shoes on schedule. I hope you have time to shop soon!

Ugg. That's frustrating.  I've been holding off on running until I can shop for runners, and I have a second pair of tennis shoes I'll have to pull out now. I prefer the ones that are wearing down, though.  

I wish the running shoes wouldn't change colours and names so much. I just want to buy a replacement pair for the ones I have now. I like the style and the size is perfect. I can't recognize my favourites anymore.  :(

• Like 2