Menu

Do you run hot or cold?

DawnM

Inspired by the socks thread.

I get hot just thinking about having to wear warm socks.

I have a desk fan in my office at work.  My co-worker has a heater near her feet in the SAME temp in her office!  It is crazy.

I just run hot.  I grew up in temps right around 50-65 every day.  I miss it.  This week has been in the 80's, which is better than the 90s but still too hot for my liking.  Once it gets to the mid 70s I am happy.  But low 70s/high 60s would be much better.

No, I don't like freezing temps either......I like temperate/cooler side.......Fall......

• Like 2

I'm always cold, but I like it that way or perhaps I'm just used to it now.  I detest sweating.  My ideal temps are 70 to 80, but if not in that range I want colder, not warmer.  We try to keep our house temp in that range, preferably without heat or A/C (using window opening/closing at various hours to access nature's temps to do so).  In the winter when we have to use heat we'll go down to 65 or so - used to be 63, but I guess I'm getting soft in my old age.  In the summer we use AC if the indoor temp is over 81-82.

My body is literally cold - as in - very old (85+) ladies at church comment on how cold I feel to them when shaking my hand.  Others do too, of course.  The older I get, the worse this gets.

I will wear warmer clothes when needed (jeans/sweater, etc), but I sure don't want to get hot.  Wearing clothes doesn't really warm up my body much anyway.  It does some, but if someone felt my body under my clothes, it still feels cold to them.

• Like 1

Cold. I mean I sweat like a racehorse when it's very hot out, but even then I don't FEEL as miserable as my husband, who runs hot... just wet all over and gross LOL.

But in the winter, I'll be layered up in at least two of everything and a wool hat, while he's just hanging out in bare feet. I certainly don't have circulation problems-- I just get cold and he gets hot.

I have a desk fan in my office at work. My co-worker has a heater near her feet in the SAME temp in her office! It is crazy.

I just run hot. I grew up in temps right around 50-65 every day. I miss it. This week has been in the 80's, which is better than the 90s but still too hot for my liking. Once it gets to the mid 70s I am happy. But low 70s/high 60s would be much better.

No, I don't like freezing temps either......I like temperate/cooler side.......Fall......

You grew up in Africa with temps 50-65? I assumed it would be a lot hotter than that.

You grew up in Africa with temps 50-65? I assumed it would be a lot hotter than that.

Most people do assume that.  I grew up 9,000 feet above sea level, in the tea country, where it often rained, at least a little bit, 300 days per year (barring a drought).  It was warmer in the lower level areas.

• Like 3

I run hot since I went into menopause; before that, I lived in fuzzy socks and sweatshirts. Now I wear t-shirts in N. IL's winter.

What she said. I used to freeze all the time. I can remember lying in the sun and getting chilled if it was windy. Now I burn up nearly all the time. It is miserable.

• Like 1

I run hot since I went into menopause; before that, I lived in fuzzy socks and sweatshirts. Now I wear t-shirts in N. IL's winter.

What she said. I used to freeze all the time. I can remember lying in the sun and getting chilled if it was windy. Now I burn up nearly all the time. It is miserable.

Same. I miss being cold! It's so much nicer than being hot and sweaty. :(

• Like 2

I'm always cold. I'm comfortable in the 80s and feel hot in the 90s.

I'm getting ideas from the sock thread. I grew up in Maryland and Virginia so I grew threw a range of temps summer and winter.

I have always had low resting pulse and cold extremities. Both are related to hypothyroid which I was diagnosed with around 40. For years I thought cold extremities was normal. My resting pulse was the envy of people who were better at fitness than I.

• Like 1

I'm getting ideas from the sock thread. I grew up in Maryland and Virginia so I grew threw a range of temps summer and winter.

I have always had low resting pulse and cold extremities. Both are related to hypothyroid which I was diagnosed with around 40. For years I thought cold extremities was normal. My resting pulse was the envy of people who were better at fitness than I.

I have low resting pulse too - generally 60-70, but down into the 50s most of the time when I feel really cold.  My thyroid isn't an issue at all (been tested with multiple different tests).  I gather it's just the way some of us are.  Even lately when my resting pulse has been in the 80s and 90s (likely due to fighting off a minor cold virus) I don't feel hot though.  I just don't feel as cold (to myself or others).

I wonder if it will change with menopause.  I'm 50 with no temperature changes yet (well, probably getting more cold the past 2-3 years - resting pulse has decreased too).  Time will tell I suppose.

Now I'm curious.  Is pulse associated with body temp (how one feels hot/cold)?

My resting pulse right now - just having finished cooking and eating breakfast, but sitting to eat it - is 65.  As is usually true, I had to warm my hand up to get my phone to register the pulse...  If the TV weren't on, I could hear it and go off that, but the morning news is on...  I just checked our indoor room temp.  It's 70 degrees, 54 outside, so no opening windows today to warm it up.

Regardless, I'm comfortable in my jeans and t-shirt (and socks/sneakers).  I prefer 70 to 80!

Now I'm curious.  Is pulse associated with body temp (how one feels hot/cold)?

My resting pulse right now - just having finished cooking and eating breakfast, but sitting to eat it - is 65.  As is usually true, I had to warm my hand up to get my phone to register the pulse...  If the TV weren't on, I could hear it and go off that, but the morning news is on...  I just checked our indoor room temp.  It's 70 degrees, 54 outside, so no opening windows today to warm it up.

Regardless, I'm comfortable in my jeans and t-shirt (and socks/sneakers).  I prefer 70 to 80!

I don't think so.  I run right around 65-68 for resting pulse and I am hot all the time.

• Like 2

Ditto, including hypothyroidism. Menopause still made me HOT. It's the main reason my thyroid issue went undiagnosed for far too long. Despite all the other typical hypo symptoms I was having I was so hot it never occurred to me that could be my problem.

• Like 1

both

In summer I can't seem to ever get cool enough, but in winter I can't ever seem to get warm. 

I've decided I hate 99% of weather.

I think the place you live just sucks :leaving:

I think I'm somewhere in the middle.  My ideal temp is probably 80, but even when it's 90 degrees and very humid and I'm sweating all over and sluggish, it often doesn't even occur to me to turn on the air.  I like feeling uncomfortably hot from time to time.  

In the winter, our old house is quite drafty and I do wear a turtleneck and a wool sweater inside.  But, I don't need wool socks unless I'm going to be standing outside in 0 degree weather for more than 15 minutes.

My father has trouble feeling the cold.  He always has.  He has gotten frost bite and hypothermia in the past since his body doesn't always sense that it's cold.

I'm another one who switched from always being cold to getting hot and sweaty too easily thanks to peri-menopause.  I miss wearing my hoodies in the summer.   :crying:   It's starting to get a little chilly here (around 50 degrees F today) and I'm sooooo happy.  I always preferred the Fall weather - 65 to 75 degrees with a nice breeze - but this is the first time I'm kind of looking forward to winter.

• Like 1

Cold. I grew up near the equator. I only start sweating when it hits 100 degF/35degC. I can take down to 40 degF/4degC if there is no wind. The wind chill gets me shivering faster than the ambient temperature.

We are in the > 100degF heat wave this weekend.

Edited by Arcadia

I run cold, sooo cold.  On reflection, the problem is that I have great difficulty warming up, once I am cold.  If I start cold, I stay cold.  It doesn't matter how many layers I put on, my body heat isn't sufficient to warm me up.  I have many icky memories of getting chilled and then shivering all night long under a mountain of blankets.  I go to a lot of trouble to avoid getting cold. 

Hot baths work, if I make sure to bundle immediately.  I use electric blankets & heating pads.  Exercise seems to work.

As far as heat, I do get hot, but I find it very easy to cool down.  A minute in front of a fan, and I'm good.  I'm not bothered by the heat, because I know that one cold drink later I will be go to go.  Also I don't really sweat, so I don't have to deal with that aspect.

• Like 1

I'm always hot. Unfortunately, my wing at school has been having AC troubles. My room is much hotter than the hallway. I have a great tower fan that I bought at Costco, but I should have bought two of them at that price. I didn't realize they were discounted all that much. I just ordered another one today because the students at the back of my classroom are in pretty good shape with my fan, but I'm boiling and so are the students at the front of my room.

I don't think so.  I run right around 65-68 for resting pulse and I am hot all the time.

Thanks.  I hadn't really noticed a correlation except when I get super cold, then it's always extra low, but for "average" pulse rates (across people), I didn't know if it made a difference or not.

My father has trouble feeling the cold.  He always has.  He has gotten frost bite and hypothermia in the past since his body doesn't always sense that it's cold.

For me the problem isn't that I don't sense it.  I'm so used to it that it seems normal and I just go on with my life.  I guess it's like a dog with a new collar - they get annoyed at first, but then it just becomes life.  When other people mention it to me (or when I read a thread like this), yes, I'm stone cold, but without those or similar cues, I just ignore it.  I wonder if your dad is the same.

I don't feel the same about heat.  I hate being hot to the point of sweaty and will get cranky then.

• Like 1

This wasn't always true, but I run hot now. I can't prove it, but I think it has something to do with strength training because that was when it started. Although I also hit my 40's around the same time so it could just be hormones.

I will have friends wearing long sleeves and jeans and thermal undergarments and I am sitting there in my short-sleeved shirt and khakis and comfortable.  I really can't wear sweaters inside anymore.  

Thanks.  I hadn't really noticed a correlation except when I get super cold, then it's always extra low, but for "average" pulse rates (across people), I didn't know if it made a difference or not.

For me the problem isn't that I don't sense it.  I'm so used to it that it seems normal and I just go on with my life.  I guess it's like a dog with a new collar - they get annoyed at first, but then it just becomes life.  When other people mention it to me (or when I read a thread like this), yes, I'm stone cold, but without those or similar cues, I just ignore it.  I wonder if your dad is the same.

I don't feel the same about heat.  I hate being hot to the point of sweaty and will get cranky then.

That's entirely possible.  He's a very flexible and adaptable guy, and that's probably part of it.  Things just don't bug him.

• Like 1

I have a desk fan in my office at work. My co-worker has a heater near her feet in the SAME temp in her office! It is crazy.

I just run hot. I grew up in temps right around 50-65 every day. I miss it. This week has been in the 80's, which is better than the 90s but still too hot for my liking. Once it gets to the mid 70s I am happy. But low 70s/high 60s would be much better.

I used to run hot. But as I'm getting older, I think I'm not running as hot.

I've found that people are not understanding of "running hot."

So many times, I'd say how hot I was or how I couldn't spend hours outside in a certain day...And I'd hear, "oh, come on! It's not hot."

It's pretty mean...if someone tells me they're cold, I don't doubt them. I offer them a sweatshirt.

I run hot. I'm a "turn on the fan" person surrounded by "turn on the heater" people. 

Winter is ok, because even though the heat is turned way too high up in people's houses, I can run outside real quick to cool off. 

Spring and summer are good. It's still warm enough that it isn't totally socially unacceptable if I leave the windows open and tell the cold people to put sweaters on (it seems to be somewhat more than somewhat socially unacceptable to so so when it's between -20 and 10 degrees out).

Summer used to be really not so great, but this year, I embraced the 80-90 degree temps, telling myself that I need the natural vitamin D and sweating will help me lose weight XD

Since getting through menopause with increased exercise my former hot flushes have resolved into general warmth.  At my last office I was furthest from the heater but in my new one I'm closest.  I anticipate problems once winter comes.

I like cooler temperatures - I was only comfortable in Asia when we lived at altitude and it was not so hot.  Sea level in the humidity of Hong Kong was not fun.  

Cold. I have socks on the large majority of my life, and in the winter, I must have very warm socks AND I wear shearling slippers at home all of the time. My feet are virtually never bare at home except sometimes in the summer. I also have a knee-length cardigan that I wear at home almost daily in the winter (unless I'm already wearing a thick sweater). I also keep blankets and throws around the house and I keep one in my car.

I'm part vampire.

I've always been cold easily. But I have noticed over the past few years that it has gotten much better. People have told me that being cold stops with menopause; I look forward to that.

Interesting. I have been thinking I only feel the cold worse the older I get. I have never been cold-tolerant, but it seems worse to me in the past five or so years. I feel like I can hardly bear it and I shiver all winter.

I don't really know. I do prefer the warmer temps that are present in my current area of Canada. I don't mind the humidity and can play tennis fine when it's 30 C. The winters can get very cold (- 30 C), and no one really enjoys it that cold. I love skiing when it's in the - 5 to - 10 C range.   I have no concept of what living in really hot climates would be, though. 

Where I grew up, much further north in Canada, the summers were short and not very warm, and the winters were long and freezing. I have no desire at all to live in that kind of climate. I was pretty much cold all the time. Swam in cold lake water, because it was the only thing I knew; played outside in the freezing winter; numb toes skating outside. We just dealt with it.  I think I'd prefer to deal with hot temps and not experience frost bite anymore. ;)

Edited by wintermom

Hot always, I run around in t-shirt and shorts down to 40's

That's my dh! He'll wear shorts on the coldest winter days of - 30! Totally freaked out a lady when he filled up with gas one night at -30 in his shorts. She was bundled up in her car with a parka and blanket with an amazed look on her face watching dh.  

• Like 1

Cold, for sure.  But I think due to my age it takes way less movement and activity for me to get warm and even overheated!  It's not usually this mild in September (it's 64 in my house right now) and I'm *freezing*!!  But I did some housework and going up and down stairs and warmed up more quickly than I used to so at least there's that.  lol