Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

So here's our current status:

Congressional nomination to USMA, USNA, and USAFA. LOA to USMA, but waiting on waiver for eyesight. 

4 year AROTC scholarship to UNC-Chapel Hill, UW- Madison, and Marquette. AROTC decision deadline was 12/9, and at that point ds had only been accepted to Marquette,  so he did accept to Marquette University. Also,  waiting on a waiver for eyesight. 

Other acceptances so far: Covenant College, Texas A&M (College of Engineering), and Wisconsin Lutheran College.

New acceptance: UW- Madison! Ds is contemplating requesting an AROTC transfer to Madison, but hasn't decided. 

Still waiting on UNC-Chapel Hill, Purdue, Grove City,  and the Service Academies.  For us,  everything  will come down  to $$ -- or the lack thereof!

• Like 33

So proud of all the kiddos and so happy for you guys too. Thinking good thoughts for everyone waiting. I remember how hard it was to wait knowing we will only hear back in March (or if lucky, in February).

Curious if anyone here applied to UCs (California) this year.

• Like 6

DD  

University of Alabama at Birmingham -Presidential Recognition Scholarship, University of Alabama Huntsville - Charger Distinction Scholarship, University of  South Alabama - Provost's Scholarship, School of Computing CIS Award

Waiting on 2 more

DS

University of Alabama at Birmingham - Presidential Recognition Scholarship

So glad this application round is almost done!

Susan

• Like 20

Congratulations on all the new acceptances!

Heather, I'm curious about the vision waiver. Is it a simple question of him needing vision correction or does he have more serious issues? Funny story, it was the requirement to abstain from contact lens use for three days prior to her official vision exam that made my daughter decide to abandon all her applications to service academies! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Heather, I'm curious about the vision waiver. Is it a simple question of him needing vision correction or does he have more serious issues? Funny story, it was the requirement to abstain from contact lens use for three days prior to her official vision exam that made my daughter decide to abandon all her applications to service academies! :laugh:

That's funny about your daughter! 🤓

It's due to the need for vision correction. He's completed the remedial exam (which was quite in depth!) and the doctors told him he didn't have whatever USMA was concerned about, but we've been waiting for the official waiver for awhile now. We've been told that the waiver could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months! It's nerve wracking! 🤞

• Like 2

That's funny about your daughter! 🤓

It's due to the need for vision correction. He's completed the remedial exam (which was quite in depth!) and the doctors told him he didn't have whatever USMA was concerned about, but we've been waiting for the official waiver for awhile now. We've been told that the waiver could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months! It's nerve wracking! 🤞

Yes, that is quite the timeline!!

My husband is one of the lesser known uniformed services, and mild gingivitis on his initial physical almost kept him out! He had to go for a set of in-depth dental x rays before they would clear him. There can be a lot of hurry up and wait when dealing with bureaucracy, for sure.

• Like 3

mine Would not be impressed with me videoing him opening acceptance letters. But so far, the envelopes themselves have given away what’s inside (large envelopes with things like “you’re in!†Or “welcome to xyz U class of 20xxâ€, etc-). So no guessing involved, lol.

That is what ours said too.  I am curious what you get if you don't get in.

Is there a huge open window that says, "Better luck next time?"

• Like 1

DD got her acceptance to Quinnipiac today. With a nice scholarship. Only waiting on one more school. Although, to be honest she is deciding between Susquehanna and Clark. Both gave great merit aid but one is a significantly better offer. We are going to attempt to negotiate because the better offer came from her 2nd pick.

• Like 23

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Are you from Georgia? Even with just Zell Miller, it's a great deal for in-state students. Where did your daughter end up going? So many great programs out there!

Yes, she went to Tech. Graduates in May in math and is getting a Ph.D. in math at a school TBD (but she got her first official acceptance today). The math department there is really special.

• Like 9

Yes, she went to Tech. Graduates in May in math and is getting a Ph.D. in math at a school TBD (but she got her first official acceptance today). The math department there is really special.

Whoa, am I remembering correctly that she was a '16 high school grad? That is amazing!! I do recall that she had been taking courses at Tech in high school, but did not realize she was so far along! Congratulations!!

• Like 1

Thank you! Are you from Georgia? Even with just Zell Miller, it's a great deal for in-state students. Where did your daughter end up going? So many great programs out there!

I'm not sure if you are talking to me, but this was below my post :-) She ultimately chose Princeton, because in the end she wasn't absolutely certain about engineering, and it seemed like it was going to be more difficult to make a change at Tech than elsewhere. But it was one of those very last minute, week of decision day deadline choices, and very nervewracking. She had the Stamps scholarship at Tech, and had been accepted into the Grand Challenges program, and the opportunities were phenomenal.

Make sure your student looks at both Honors and Grand Challenges, and considers applying. They are really wonderful programs!

• Like 3

I'm not sure if you are talking to me, but this was below my post :-) She ultimately chose Princeton, because in the end she wasn't absolutely certain about engineering, and it seemed like it was going to be more difficult to make a change at Tech than elsewhere. But it was one of those very last minute, week of decision day deadline choices, and very nervewracking. She had the Stamps scholarship at Tech, and had been accepted into the Grand Challenges program, and the opportunities were phenomenal.

Make sure your student looks at both Honors and Grand Challenges, and considers applying. They are really wonderful programs!

Yes! Princeton - wow! Fun for her to have such great schools to choose from!

• Like 2

Whoa, am I remembering correctly that she was a '16 high school grad? That is amazing!! I do recall that she had been taking courses at Tech in high school, but did not realize she was so far along! Congratulations!!

Thanks!  And, yes, her official HS graduation was '16, but she did not attend her ceremony, and I did not even pick up her diploma.  I tried a couple of times over the summer, but I assume that it is still floating around somewhere in the guidance office at her high school.  I hope someone will throw it out one of these days. She actually only needs one class this semester to graduate, but she has to take two to keep from getting evicted from university housing.  She has managed to get them both as reading courses (which means--no classes) so that she has time for her research and accepted-student visits.  She had a good bit of AP credit, plus nearly two years' of full-time DE, a summer study-abroad and a few hours here and there for research and being a TA.  It added up, and some graduate-level classes counted for some undergraduate-level classes she didn't expect.  Even she was surprised when she sat down with the undergraduate advisor last semester and realized she was one class shy of graduation.  

• Like 2

Last one just came in--Dd accepted to James Madison Univ (JMU)!

It's her first choice, and only ~2hrs from us.

Now on to auditions for acceptance into the music programs of the 4 colleges she applied to. 

I love JMU.  As I noted in another post, it is where I wanted my HS senior to choose; I loved the coach, the girls, the assistant coach, the campus.  I know she would have been happy there.  But now your daughter can be happy there, and that's great, too!

Edited by plansrme
  • Like 2

Thanks!  And, yes, her official HS graduation was '16, but she did not attend her ceremony, and I did not even pick up her diploma.  I tried a couple of times over the summer, but I assume that it is still floating around somewhere in the guidance office at her high school.  I hope someone will throw it out one of these days. She actually only needs one class this semester to graduate, but she has to take two to keep from getting evicted from university housing.  She has managed to get them both as reading courses (which means--no classes) so that she has time for her research and accepted-student visits.  She had a good bit of AP credit, plus nearly two years' of full-time DE, a summer study-abroad and a few hours here and there for research and being a TA.  It added up, and some graduate-level classes counted for some undergraduate-level classes she didn't expect.  Even she was surprised when she sat down with the undergraduate advisor last semester and realized she was one class shy of graduation.  

It might be a good idea to retrieve that high school diploma, just in case.  I have run across a few people who had to show theirs for either jobs or school overseas, despite having higher degrees.  Getting it now might save a headache later.  Just a thought...

Nan.

• Like 4

Kewb, any update on the aid negotiations?

Congrats to your daughter, Chris! JMU sounds perfect.

Update on negotiation: we provided information and comparison with a copy of the award letter. They will let us know their decision at the beginning of the February.

• Like 2

How wonderful, and a great example of efficiency in the college process. I imagine your wallet is thanking you too!

Update on negotiation: we provided information and comparison with a copy of the award letter. They will let us know their decision at the beginning of the February.

A long couple weeks of waiting, no doubt! We will hope for good news.

Congrats to the Purdue acceptees...big day here in the Hive!

• Like 2

DS just received his acceptance to the University of Hawaii, his #1 choice.  He definitely gets in-state tuition, word is still out on other scholarships (he needs to submit a couple more pieces of paperwork).  While more money is always good, in-state tuition is covered by savings so he will graduate debt free, something that was quite important to him.

Do you live in Hawaii?  If not and we can help with info, let me know.

• Like 1

Lots of Purdue acceptances, congrats!

Are you all in-state for Purdue? Just curious:)

A friend in CA said with UC engineering acceptance rates the way they were, her son applied to several out of state colleges, including Purdue.  Even with out of state, it is reasonably priced.

• Like 3

Lots of Purdue acceptances, congrats!

Are you all in-state for Purdue? Just curious:)

We are, yes, only about 30 miles away, so it's possible DS will end up living at home and commuting. Or possibly getting an apt with some friends from church. But almost certainly not in the dorms. Which will cut down on $$$ quite a bit :)

• Like 7

DS just got two acceptances. We thought he had this decided mid junior year and applied to his first choice in August and has even paid a housing deposit there. Over Christmas he decided to apply to two more.

University of South Florida (accepted with highest automatic out of state scholarship. we believe this also comes with admission to the honors college)

Nova Southeastern (applied to and invited to interview for a dual degree BS/JD program that guarantees him a seat in the law school pending successful undergrad)

If he goes for the interview at Nova it is in February so he has to make a decision. I hate to do that without financial aid info as it would involve flying and missing de classes. Just found out tonight and we'll need to mull that over a bit before making a decision.

USF is affordable. Cheaper than our state flagship and only marginally more than the small regional state U he was planning on.

Sigh...he was supposed to be easy. This threw us for a loop the last few weeks.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 21