Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

DS got into MIT!  

I want to offer a deep-felt thank you to all of you who helped me this past 6 months prepare my documentation. I so appreciate the time a number of you put in to understand our homeschool and make sense of the two different educational systems.  You challenged me on a number of issues and offered excellent advice. I am deeply in debt to the hive!

Ruth in NZ

Biggest congrats lewelma, to you and your son :)

• Like 3

Second acceptance, UNC Asheville.  

His 3rd application may not be in for a while, but that school has the highest acceptance rate of the 3, so I assume he will get in there as well.

I loved UNC Asheville.  We will see what he thinks.  We did a full day Open House there and I thought it was great.  But he was a little more "meh" about it.

• Like 29

Reading the thread about why each kid chose the school and any plans they've made for a major, career, playing a sport, etc is a lot of fun. A bold font wouldn't be the same. We didn't make a list view of the decision thread in the past, I don't think.

sounds good to me

DS got into MIT!  

I want to offer a deep-felt thank you to all of you who helped me this past 6 months prepare my documentation. I so appreciate the time a number of you put in to understand our homeschool and make sense of the two different educational systems.  You challenged me on a number of issues and offered excellent advice. I am deeply in debt to the hive!

Ruth in NZ

Congratulations to you both!  :party:

• Like 1

DS got into MIT!  

Ruth in NZ

Yay, yay, yay! Not at all surprising, but I know it is lovely to have that acceptance in hand! I have been eager to see where he ended up!

• Like 3

Adding some good news tonight!  Acceptances from Agnes Scott ($25,000) and Lawrence (will find out @ merit in two hours). 

So happy for my lovely dd. She has so many great choices. Just waiting for Earlham.

Oh, nice! I grew up in Atlanta and one of my high school classmates is a Scottie!

• Like 1

DS got into MIT!  

Ruth in NZ

Big congrats! That is fantastic! :party:

• Like 2

DS got into MIT!  

Ruth in NZ

One of my DS' classmates/friend got into MIT as well and is probably going there next year.

So tired of waiting -- we won't really KNOW things until auditions are done, which will be after Chicago Unifieds in February.

So far, a scholastic acceptance to University of Evansville (will audition into program in January)

and Saint Louis University (with Vice President scholarship -- will apply for department and other scholarships later)

Those are her safety schools.  

• Like 21

My bonus kid/mentee got into University of Memphis! This is huge for this kid-she has global learning disabilities and was pulled out of traditional schools at age 12 as a 4th grader, with most of her skills on a 1st grade level, and her ACT scores put UM in a “reachâ€category for her, even after years of work. I am so proud of her! She may still end up staying at the CC for the first 2 years for Financial and academic support reasons, but getting accepted to the 4 year school that many of her friends attend is such a big accomplishment and a major validation (and a big “see!â€to her stepfather who has been so consistently negative about her future dreams and goals).

• Like 38

Tulane University - Distinguished Scholar Award! I was concerned because I did not realize that demonstrated interest is a big deal with Tulane. When ds asked if he had to submit the optional "Why Tulane" essay earlier this year, I told him no. Ouch. He did participate in the alumni interview program, though, which does demonstrate interest. Also, for future reference, ds did not have the two SAT Subject Tests required for homeschoolers. Admissions allowed him to submit DE grades instead. Did not work with Emory.  :001_rolleyes:

Edited by amathis229
  • Like 25

Ds was deferred at U Chicago.

He wasn't as upset as I thought he would be. He knew it was a reach, especially financially. Also, looking at the college confidential site it looks like they defer a lot, especially those who applied EA instead of ED. 

I don't think we will hear from any others until mid-January so now we can just enjoy the holidays. 

• Like 14

DS was just notified that he was awarded the Buckeye and Maximus scholarships at Ohio State. His agreement with the athletic department is that they will "top up" any academic scholarships he gets with enough athletic money to cover full tuition ($30,000/yr) for all four years, so theoretically he could have just had a $30K/yr athletic scholarship. But I know so many kids who ended up having to choose between their sport and their grades, or who ended up either losing their sports scholarship or feeling trapped playing a sport they no longer enjoyed because they couldn't afford the school without it. I hope that having more than half of his funding coming from the academic side will at least take some of that pressure off DS.

I'm so happy for him, it's his first choice school and it's been his dream since he attended a summer linguistics program there 18 months ago. But it's so far away, and I'm gonna miss him like crazy.  :crying:

• Like 34

Ds was deferred at U Chicago.

He wasn't as upset as I thought he would be. He knew it was a reach, especially financially. Also, looking at the college confidential site it looks like they defer a lot, especially those who applied EA instead of ED.

I don't think we will hear from any others until mid-January so now we can just enjoy the holidays.

Yes, UChicago defers a lot of applicants. It’s how they tweak their numbers.

• Like 6

SUNY Polytechnic Institute with merit award.

Woo hoo, that’s 3 so far :)

my younger brother graduated from there (Utica) when I think it was called SUNY Institute of Technology decades ago

He had very good career(s) in various industries.

Currently he is "semi-retired".

3rd acceptance--Appalachian State. 

She got all her dates for music auditions, too. We are going to be quite busy in February, with 3 dates; her first is at WVU on Jan 20th. I am so nervous about driving there! I hate the mountains for driving. 

Haven't heard yet from James Madison, as far as acceptance into the uni. 

• Like 22

DS was just notified that he was awarded the Buckeye and Maximus scholarships at Ohio State. His agreement with the athletic department is that they will "top up" any academic scholarships he gets with enough athletic money to cover full tuition ($30,000/yr) for all four years, so theoretically he could have just had a $30K/yr athletic scholarship. But I know so many kids who ended up having to choose between their sport and their grades, or who ended up either losing their sports scholarship or feeling trapped playing a sport they no longer enjoyed because they couldn't afford the school without it. I hope that having more than half of his funding coming from the academic side will at least take some of that pressure off DS.

I'm so happy for him, it's his first choice school and it's been his dream since he attended a summer linguistics program there 18 months ago. But it's so far away, and I'm gonna miss him like crazy.  :crying:

Congrats! I graduated from OSU--I absolutely loved my time there. That was over 30 years ago, but...I LOVED it and have great memories of living in Baker Hall, which used to be an army barracks and is like a rabbit-warren--a super interesting building! 

Hope he's very happy. 

Go Bucks!

• Like 4

DS just received his acceptance to the University of Hawaii, his #1 choice.  He definitely gets in-state tuition, word is still out on other scholarships (he needs to submit a couple more pieces of paperwork).  While more money is always good, in-state tuition is covered by savings so he will graduate debt free, something that was quite important to him.

• Like 29

I know I missed sending likes...please consider your post liked. These are always one of my favorite threads every year. Sending all of you still waiting big hugs and those denied/waitlisted tons of good wishes for happy news soon. Hang in there!

• Like 9

My son got accepted into Austin College in Sherman, TX.

We were bad parents and did not record him opening his acceptance letter.

To be fair to us, he had said that Trinity in San Antonio was his 1st choice, so I didn't think it was a big deal, but.....

He ran to open the letter then preceeded to hoop, hollar, scream, and even throw a few things in excitement.  He may be withdrawing his application to Trinity.  He never got the chance to meet the swim coach at Trinity and is now excited about being at Austin.

• Like 21

To be fair to us, he had said that Trinity in San Antonio was his 1st choice, so I didn't think it was a big deal, but.....

He ran to open the letter then preceeded to hoop, hollar, scream, and even throw a few things in excitement.  He may be withdrawing his application to Trinity.  He never got the chance to meet the swim coach at Trinity and is now excited about being at Austin.

Uh. . . I never thought about recording acceptances.  oops

• Like 5

There are a gazillion on YouTube.

We didn't do it. Ds was out of town when he checked his top choice anyway.

yeah, rub it in. .  :lol:

At least he is the first and it's not like I did it for the others.

(We won't talk about the fact that the tooth fairy has forgotten a tooth the past 3 days running)

• Like 2

Congratulations to your son, Kim! I wish my ds would show some excitement. Maybe when "the one" comes in!

Edited by amathis229
  • Like 3

DS just received his acceptance to the University of Hawaii, his #1 choice.  He definitely gets in-state tuition, word is still out on other scholarships (he needs to submit a couple more pieces of paperwork).  While more money is always good, in-state tuition is covered by savings so he will graduate debt free, something that was quite important to him.

My dh and I are UH alums! Congratulations!

Are you on Oahu so your ds will be a commuter student? My dh was, while I was from out of state and my biggest expense and headache was housing. UH, at least back in my day, was very generous with aid. I had tuition waivers for undergrad through the music department even though I wasn't a major. Can't remember how I funded grad school.....

It's finally official — DS will be an Ohio State Buckeye next year. In a way this was a "done deal" since he verbally committed to the coach in July, but I'm paranoid after what happened with NCAA, so I refused to say it out loud until the acceptance was in hand!

He is one of the top 3 recruits in the country in his sport, and his stats are excellent, so he had offers from several higher ranked schools, but Ohio State offered him the best combination of athletics (they are arguably #1 in his sport, and certainly top 3), linguistics (top 10 department), languages (he's interested in Turkish and Uzbek), and money (full tuition for 4 yrs, split about 50/50 between athletic and academic scholarships).

The schools that were higher ranked overall either did not have a very competitive fencing team (Duke, Brown), or did not have a strong linguistics program (no linguistics major at all at Notre Dame, and it's part of Cog Sci at Brown), and were really not affordable for us anyway. One school (Penn State) offered more money, but it would all be athletic money (meaning we'd be on the hook for the full amount if DS were injured or quit the team), plus they don't have a true linguistics major and the team is lower ranked than OSU.

Ohio State has been DS's first choice since summer of 2016, when he did a two-week linguistics intensive there. The athletic facilities are amazing, the fencing program is considered an "Olympic prep program" (two members of the current team competed in Rio), and the linguistics department is higher ranked than many Ivies. Unlike many schools with small departments, OSU has tons of linguistics courses (and foreign languages) to choose from, and lots of opportunities for undergrad research. So he is super excited about going there, and I'm super happy about the free tuition!

I am so happy for you both!!!! Long journey up a tall mountain, hunh?

Lots of hugs

Nan

• Like 2

DS got into MIT!

I want to offer a deep-felt thank you to all of you who helped me this past 6 months prepare my documentation. I so appreciate the time a number of you put in to understand our homeschool and make sense of the two different educational systems. You challenged me on a number of issues and offered excellent advice. I am deeply in debt to the hive!

Ruth in NZ

Go Ruth! I can't say I am surprised grin ...

Hugs

Nan

• Like 1

I think those are neat when the answer is yes, but it would be a real bummer if you are recording it and the answer is no. It seems like it would build up the anticipation more and be a little too much pressure.

Congrats to everyone with acceptances!

mine Would not be impressed with me videoing him opening acceptance letters. But so far, the envelopes themselves have given away what’s inside (large envelopes with things like “you’re in!†Or “welcome to xyz U class of 20xxâ€, etc-). So no guessing involved, lol.

I've been slack on posting on any acceptances so far so here goes...DD has been accepted to:

Millsaps College (Presidential Scholarship)

University of Alabama-Huntsville (Charger Distinction Scholarship)

University of South Carolina-Honors College!

UChicago - deferred

Waiting on 3 more in the new year!  Congrats everyone!

Mindy

• Like 30

DS was accepted to University of Michigan Engineering, Ann Arbor :hurray:   We are thrilled, and I am relieved.  This is mine and DH's alma mater, though we are now OOS, so although DS has grown up hearing GO BLUE, we had prepped him for his slim chances.  Not sure he will end up there, but it feels very validating. :001_smile: 

CANNOT fully express my gratitude to the amazing people on this forum who generously offer advice and guidance.  Thank you so much!!!  :001_wub: 

• Like 36