Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

I guess I missed that discussion.  How did you get 100% tuition?

He was awarded the Charger Distinction Scholarship. I am thankful because I believe UAH could actually be a school he would enjoy attending! After reading through past posts regarding the merit aid awarded by University of Alabama schools, I advised ds to submit an application to UAH. The quick turnaround took a lot of pressure off the whole application/essay process for us!

• Like 3

He was awarded the Charger Distinction Scholarship. I am thankful because I believe UAH could actually be a school he would enjoy attending! After reading through past posts regarding the merit aid awarded by University of Alabama schools, I advised ds to submit an application to UAH. The quick turnaround took a lot of pressure off the whole application/essay process for us!

My son got it too....it is based just on GPA and your SAT score and once you apply and are accepted; the scholarship is automatically applied so we heard a few weeks after applying he was being given full tuition too.  It is a great opportunity...and one of two schools my son is considering.  Another board member on here was telling me recently that her son is attending there on a full ride and is really enjoying it.  Looks like a great school for engineering!!  :)

• Like 4

My son got it too....it is based just on GPA and your SAT score and once you apply and are accepted; the scholarship is automatically applied so we heard a few weeks after applying he was being given full tuition too.  It is a great opportunity...and one of two schools my son is considering.  Another board member on here was telling me recently that her son is attending there on a full ride and is really enjoying it.  Looks like a great school for engineering!!  :)

Fantastic! Have you visited, yet? I am planning to take ds to visit in Febuary. There's a lot to like on paper (to me). Student body - not too large, but large enough. Big enough city to have some good restaurants for when we visit. Tech-minded community. Single dorm rooms. We definitely must find each other if both our boys decide to attend UAH!

• Like 1

Fantastic! Have you visited, yet? I am planning to take ds to visit in Febuary. There's a lot to like on paper (to me). Student body - not too large, but large enough. Big enough city to have some good restaurants for when we visit. Tech-minded community. Single dorm rooms. We definitely must find each other if both our boys decide to attend UAH!

My son is a freshman engineering student there on that scholarship (and I'm the one Homeschoolmom3 talked to)!  PM me if you want to get in touch with him when you are down there visiting.  I am sure he would be more than happy to talk to you and your son!  

Edited by AFwife Claire
  • Like 4

Will do.... :-)

• Like 1

My son is a freshman engineering student there on that scholarship (and I'm the one Homeschoolmom3 talked to)!  PM me if you want to get in touch with him when you are down there visiting.  I am sure he would be more than happy to talk to you and your son!  

We would love to meet with him when we visit! Thank you so much!!!

• Like 1

Awesome.  

• Like 1

Two more acceptances for dd.  Illinois Wesleyan University (waiting on scholarship package) and Marquette University (Pere Marquette Scholarship.)  

DS has acceptances to Knox College and Illinois Wesleyan University so far.

Knox had good merit, waiting on IWU aid package.

Hopefully more acceptances to come.

Yay for those local IL LACs.  

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 26

DS just got accepted into Houghton's Honors in London program.  He had a 2 day interview last weekend and it was intense. It's a very impressive program.  We need to wait on money and probably see if Wheaton, Hillsdale or Bucknell come through with acceptances and/or money.  But he/we would totally love that program and it is likely the money will come through so it is so awesome to know there should be a great place for him.

• Like 19

One more acceptance for dd came yesterday via a phone call. Albright College. Won't know about merit aid until the envelope arrives.

That leaves 4 more we are waiting on. Should have everything by the end of this month. The waiting is killing me.

• Like 17

Dd received two more acceptances today.

Hope College (awaiting scholarship info.

Saint Louis University (Vice President's Scholarship, still awaiting word on whether she will be invited to compete for the Presidential Scholarship)  

I have to say that Hope College writes the best acceptance letters.  They show that they read just about everything in the application.  

• Like 30

One more portal notification of acceptance for DD-McDaniel College. Waiting for the letter but I am assuming there will be some merit aid since this is where her brother attends and their grades and test scores were similar.  If nothing else there is a sibling discount.

• Like 21

Saint Louis University (Vice President's Scholarship, still awaiting word on whether she will be invited to compete for the Presidential Scholarship)  

I have to say that Hope College writes the best acceptance letters.  They show that they read just about everything in the application.  

Hope College is where Rhoda Janzen (Burton) teaches--she wrote two of my favorite memoirs, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress and Mennonite Meets Mr. Right.  She must be awesome, as must the school where she teaches.

• Like 1

DS just found out he got accepted into Rose Hulman!!! It's sooooo out of our league financially so unless he somehow gets 1 out of only 6 full scholarships he likely won't be going there, but he wanted to give it a shot. So proud of him!

Also got accepted to Indiana U and got enough scholarships to cover tuition but not room and board. It's definitely not his first choice, but it's nice to know he has options.

Still waiting to hear from Purdue, they said it would probably be January 15. The waiting is killing me!!!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 31

Now we are up to two!  Oklahoma Christian (swimming and merit aid)  FIT scholarships, aside from one that is guaranteed, won't be known for a bit.  Still waiting to hear on five more (pretty much expected to receive acceptance to those as well) Three more are schools he would swim for, two he would not swim for, but they offer significant scholarship opportunities

Still possible that DS will take a gap year and either defer or reapply (working on a major engineering internship if we stay in Italy for an extra 9 months)

And, we have #3 -- King's College in Wilks-Barre, PA -- Accepted into the Engineering Program with Merit Aid and Recruited for Swimming (EA)

• Like 25

Recently, there has been a separate decisions thread each year. Here's 2017, 2016, couldn't find 2015 in my quick search, and 2014 (seniors this year?). It is really interesting how the kids came down to where they were attending. 

:lurk5: [Next year, I'll be  :crying:  :ohmy:  :toetap05: , but this year I'm all  :party:  :thumbup:  :hurray: ]

Maybe we could just bold the school in when the student commits:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/663621-class-of-2018-acceptances-list-view-updated-129/

so not yet another thread.

Scoutermom what do you think - I can help.

What do y'all think?

Hope was on my daughter's list two years ago! Lovely place. My husband's uncle graduated from there back in the day.

• Like 1

Maybe we could just bold the school in when the student commits:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/663621-class-of-2018-acceptances-list-view-updated-129/

so not yet another thread.

Scoutermom what do you think - I can help.

What do y'all think?

Reading the thread about why each kid chose the school and any plans they've made for a major, career, playing a sport, etc is a lot of fun. A bold font wouldn't be the same. We didn't make a list view of the decision thread in the past, I don't think.

• Like 8

ds1 accepted at Colorado School of Mines

ds2 accepted at Eckerd  (I already reported ds2 previously accepted at School of Mines)

I guess we're waiting until next year to hear about the remaining colleges.....the time seems like forever to them but it'll be here so quickly!

Edited by Jen500
  • Like 19

ds1 accepted at Colorado School of Mines

ds2 accepted at Eckerd  (I already reported ds2 previously accepted at School of Mines)

I guess we're waiting until next year to hear about the remaining colleges.....the time seems like forever to them but it'll be here so quickly!

I really should be able to like this thread twice considering the personal attachment to Eckerd... ;)

(Same for all Virginia Tech, Covenant, and University of Rochester acceptances!  Those and Eckerd are all now "family" schools for us.)

• Like 6

Ds has been accepted to University of North Georgia (safety), University of Alabama - Huntsville (safety, 100% tuition, thank u forum!), Oglethorpe University (scholarship weekend invite), and University of South Carolina (out-of-state tuition waived, plus some). Waiting for decisions from several other schools and planning to submit app to UGA. He would really like to go to Georgia Tech or University of South Carolina. If he gets into Tech, it may end up being the most affordable option for us because of Georgia's Zell Miller scholarship. I just really didn't know what to expect and am thankful that he's gotten in somewhere! Other than a handful of DE classes and a handful of AP's, all his coursework is unaccredited. Decent ACT scores, well-rounded kid, but no major "hook." I wish I had started following this board sooner - you are a fount of knowledge! 

April,

If you don't mind could you explain how you got out-of state tuition waived? USC is on our list as well.

Thank you,

Kerry

Wow, Ruth! Congrats to both you and your son!!! :party:

I have to admit that I suspected good news when I read MIT Chris's blog post earlier this evening. He said that they'd admitted kids from all over the globe, "from New England to New Zealand..."  :D

MIT had a record # of early applications, close to 10,000, so it was incredibly difficult to get in during this round. To those deferred, keep heart!

• Like 22

DS got into MIT!

I want to offer a deep-felt thank you to all of you who helped me this past 6 months prepare my documentation. I so appreciate the time a number of you put in to understand our homeschool and make sense of the two different educational systems. You challenged me on a number of issues and offered excellent advice. I am deeply in debt to the hive!

Ruth in NZ

Congratulations!!!! That is awesome. So happy for you all

• Like 2

DS got into MIT!

I want to offer a deep-felt thank you to all of you who helped me this past 6 months prepare my documentation. I so appreciate the time a number of you put in to understand our homeschool and make sense of the two different educational systems. You challenged me on a number of issues and offered excellent advice. I am deeply in debt to the hive!

Ruth in NZ

Huzzah! 😀 Is MIT the one, then? I forget how they work in regard to acceptance.

Congrats to all the kids here! I really enjoy reading everyone’s off-to-college adventures.

• Like 6

Huzzah! 😀 Is MIT the one, then? I forget how they work in regard to acceptance.

Non-binding.  We are waiting on 5 others.  Two that could yield full ride scholarships. We may just be following the money, but won't know until April.  We get one more early decision on December 20th. 

• Like 7

April,

If you don't mind could you explain how you got out-of state tuition waived? USC is on our list as well.

Thank you,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

USC quailfies OOS students for in-state tuition based on SAT/ACT scores and GPA. Here's the link for the page with the details: â€‹http://www.sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/financial_aid/scholarships/scholarships_for_nonresidents/index.php. 

What state do you live in? For us in Georgia, it's hard to beat the state schools. With lottery-funded scholarships, zero tuition is a pretty sweet deal. My son loved USC, though! He's probably not a strong candidate for their full-tuition scholarshps, but he's giving it a go. 

What's your kid interested in studying? Have you visited? Best of luck as you navigate the gaunlet, I mean, process! 

April

• Like 1

Ds accepted at Trinity University, Trustee's Scholarship...this is the scholarship level below the Murchison Scholarship. On their website, they state, "Murchison Scholars and other top applicants will be invited to compete for a full-tuition scholarship at the Trinity Tower Scholars Day competition." Does this mean that there's a chance??? A more holistic review at this point, perhaps? Has anyone had any experience with this school? 

Edited by amathis229
  • Like 15

Trinity University, Trustee's Scholarship...this is the scholarship level below the Murchison Scholarship. On their website, they state, "Murchison Scholars and other top applicants will be invited to compete for a full-tuition scholarship at the Trinity Tower Scholars Day competition." Does this mean that there's a chance??? A more holistic review at this point, perhaps? Has anyone had any experience with this school? 

I just checked over at CC. Best I can tell, Tower invites were sent out with acceptance notifications.  :nopity:

• Like 1

Reading the thread about why each kid chose the school and any plans they've made for a major, career, playing a sport, etc is a lot of fun. A bold font wouldn't be the same. We didn't make a list view of the decision thread in the past, I don't think.

I like the Commitment thread, too. And, yes, there has been a list thread for many years. Sometimes it's been cut and paste your own and the thread was long and cumbersome if two people were cutting and pasting at the same time, yada, yada, yada.

I think FaithManor began the format I used last year and this year.

• Like 3

Good news struck our house twice last night. Both DD1 and DD2 were accepted at the University of Notre Dame via REA. Both have one more school to hear from yet, but last night's news made me so incredibly thankful for the homeschool journey we've been able to experience as a family. And so grateful for this Board and everyone who shared their advice, especially when it came to homeschooling the high school years. 

• Like 34