Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

Ds was accepted to Indiana University. He received a decent merit scholarship and was admitted to the Honors College (if he wants it). He was also sent an application for other scholarships. I'm expecting the direct admit letter in a few weeks. 

It's not his first choice but I feel some serious relief right now that he has at least one decent option that we can afford since he received a scholarship.

I'll be surprised if we hear from his other schools before January. I don't like the waiting part of this process at all.  :glare:

• Like 22

Well this newbie has a minor panic attack that something got messed up every time I read a post about receiving scholarship information. He should be getting a package soon...hopefully!! The priority deadline was Nov 1. Acceptance is great, but I'd like to see the financials!  :001_unsure:

Don't feel alone, our situation is all over the place, and we're on tenterhooks, too! Even though my daughter has some acceptances and initial merit aid packages, there's still waiting to see if there's anything need-based (hah! not likely based on our ridiculous FAFSA results), separate applications for other scholarships at some of the same schools, etc. Even having applied early action to all of the schools, I don't expect to have a full financial comparison until March or April, honestly.

• Like 2

Don't feel alone, our situation is all over the place, and we're on tenterhooks, too! Even though my daughter has some acceptances and initial merit aid packages, there's still waiting to see if there's anything need-based (hah! not likely based on our ridiculous FAFSA results), separate applications for other scholarships at some of the same schools, etc. Even having applied early action to all of the schools, I don't expect to have a full financial comparison until March or April, honestly.

I don't know where your child is applying, but 2nd son is applying to NC state schools and I am actually not anticipating any merit aid.  I was told they needed to be tippy top to get anything.  He is strong and will most likely get in everywhere he is applying, but I am not expecting $$.

I guess I will report back, but right now, I am just thankful that NC state schools are quite reasonably priced.

Edited by DawnM

I don't know where your child is applying, but 2nd son is applying to NC state schools and I am actually not anticipating any merit aid.  I was told they needed to be tippy top to get anything.  He is strong and will most likely get in everywhere he is applying, but I am not expecting $$.

I guess I will report back, but right now, I am just thankful that NC state schools are quite reasonably priced.

Nothing's guaranteed, obviously, but we're hopeful. She has chosen schools where her GPA and ACT put her in the top 10% or better compared to published stats of enrolled freshmen rather than Chapel Hill or State where her scores would put her in the middle of the pack.

Agreed about the reasonably priced. Even with 40% or better initial merit offers from the three private schools that have accepted her, they're still more expensive than full freight at the public schools she's applied to.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, our email just says details on the scholarship will follow. Wonder if that means we won't be awarded any FA.

Hmm, went back and looked.  I inserted what I wanted to see.  So, I am no changing my answer to I am assuming the financial aid info will be there too.

FWIW, it's not unusual to hear about need based financial aid much later than merit awards.  I seem to recall hearing most of ours in Jan or Feb.  My memory might be off, but it wasn't often included with merit aid announcements.  It was included in "final" financial aid award notices.  Those showed merit and need based.  I think in many schools the FA office takes into consideration how much merit aid a student has before making decisions on need-based aid.  If Federal Aid is included, they have to.

• Like 1

Third acceptance in! Now we will likely have to wait until January for the four state schools she applied to. The list of acceptances so far:

Lenoir Rhyne University with merit scholarship (44% of cost of attendance)

Catawba College with merit scholarship (42% of cost of attendance)

Roanoke College with merit scholarship (39% of cost of attendance) and invitation to the on-campus competition day in November for further scholarships

Up to 5 acceptances now. Add:

University of NC at Greensboro

University of NC at Charlotte

No word on financial aid yet, and two more schools to hear from.

• Like 16

This weekend we found out my DD got into Letourneau, UT Dallas and Alabama! This is getting real! Her little brother (9yo) is sad because now it means she will definitly be leaving.

Add Baylor to list of accepted with full Presidents Gold Scholarship.

Alabama has awarded her the Presidential Elite and Engineering scholarships along with Honors college.

Letu has invited her next week to interview for the Heritage Scholarship.

Still waiting on AES numbers from UTD.

Has completed 9 applications with 7 to go. She refuses to cross any off her list. Sigh.

• Like 16

Up to 5 acceptances now. Add:

University of NC at Greensboro

University of NC at Charlotte

No word on financial aid yet, and two more schools to hear from.

We are trying to decide how many to apply to for middle son.  

The only school he has actually applied to is UNC Asheville so far.  I see no problem with him getting in, but we will see.

He would like to apply to Wilmington and Charlotte as well.  He missed Wilmington's early App deadline, so he is going to finish the application over Christmas break.  We will possibly Western, although Western is a sure thing (according to the website) and not in his ideal location (too remote), so he is holding off on that.

Tomorrow we are heading up to do a full Open House/Tour of Asheville, although he has already applied.

Oh, and just in case you are interested to know, I found out yesterday that East Tennessee offers a $15K scholarship to any out of state applicants with a 3.0 or higher, making the tuition just a couple thousand over in-state tuition.

AND, if you live on bordering counties in NC to TN (we don't) they do offer in state tuition to ETU.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

We are trying to decide how many to apply to for middle son.  

The only school he has actually applied to is UNC Asheville so far.  I see no problem with him getting in, but we will see.

He would like to apply to Wilmington and Charlotte as well.  He missed Wilmington's early App deadline, so he is going to finish the application over Christmas break.  We will possibly Western, although Western is a sure thing (according to the website) and not in his ideal location (too remote), so he is holding off on that.

Tomorrow we are heading up to do a full Open House/Tour of Asheville, although he has already applied.

Oh, and just in case you are interested to know, I found out yesterday that East Tennessee offers a $15K scholarship to any out of state applicants with a 3.0 or higher, making the tuition just a couple thousand over in-state tuition.

AND, if you live on bordering counties in NC to TN (we don't) they do offer in state tuition to ETU.

We don't live adjacent to TN either, but it looks like a good deal. Between admissions and scholarship applications, my daughter's so over applications at this point that I don't expect any additional ones. :)  She's decided applications are acting like an extra writing-heavy English class this semester in terms of time and effort. 

The two schools we're waiting to hear from are Appalachian State and UNC Wilmington. Have you seen the information about Western Carolina being one of the schools to lower in-state tuition to $1000 a year starting in 2018 under NC Promise (the others are Elizabeth City State and UNC-Pembroke https://ncpromise.com/)? Out of state tuition at these three will be cut to $5000 a year (a drop of close to $3000 for Western), in case anyone else is looking. My niece is a senior at Western and has enjoyed her time there, but it is really remote, too much so for my daughter.

We don't live adjacent to TN either, but it looks like a good deal. Between admissions and scholarship applications, my daughter's so over applications at this point that I don't expect any additional ones. :)  She's decided applications are acting like an extra writing-heavy English class this semester in terms of time and effort. 

The two schools we're waiting to hear from are Appalachian State and UNC Wilmington. Have you seen the information about Western Carolina being one of the schools to lower in-state tuition to $1000 a year starting in 2018 under NC Promise (the others are Elizabeth City State and UNC-Pembroke https://ncpromise.com/)? Out of state tuition at these three will be cut to $5000 a year (a drop of close to $3000 for Western), in case anyone else is looking. My niece is a senior at Western and has enjoyed her time there, but it is really remote, too much so for my daughter.

Yes, I started a thread about it a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

We just finished all of our applications in September yeah!  Now we are working on the scholarship angle.  He got accepted everywhere he applied but is mostly looking at what school will give him the most money.   ;)

Acceptances:  University of Alabama (Huntsville)  (2nd choice if the merit doesn't pan out at LU at least tuition free)

Liberty University  (1st choice if gets merit/honors scholarship and close to a full ride...fingers crossed!)

Louisiana Tech

Virginia Tech (still haven't heard on this one but not too worried) (3rd due to cost)

Congrats to all others...isn't it great to know we made it!   :hurray:

I am doing my happy dance now.... :w00t: :party:

We just heard yesterday that my son got the merit scholarship at Liberty (his first choice) and with the other scholarships that stack he is almost at a full ride just about $1000 short.  (only awarded tuition free)  We are so ecstatic and praising God for giving him the ability for him to succeed as well as for providing his old Ma direction in guiding his education.  I couldn't have done it with out the Holy Spirit's direction and for the hive and the wonderful advice many of you ladies have shared through the years.  I am so grateful and now we are able to enjoy his senior year before my melt down of him leaving home.  :(   Ha! 

For others who are waiting I am sending a group hug and sympathizing how stressful it can be!  Hang in there....for his other schools in the scholarships that were awarded automatic like Louisiana Tech and UAH, they sent a letter to us about 3-4 wks after we had received confirmation of acceptance so hopefully you all's will come soon.  LU first deadline was Nov. 1 and we were sweating bullets trying to get it in on time and so thankful we did..... they only offer 58 merit scholarships (and luckily they include commended-finalist in the same category) each year and so getting it in early I know helped. 

Good luck to you all!!

Update....they are now only going to give him full tuition not allowing him to stack the other scholarships as stated there is some type of "clause" that no one knows about but they only allow exceptions for athletes and being a national merit finalist.  :-(  We were so bummed so now trying to find scholarship for room and board or going to try to up scores and go to another school.  My son is so depressed what a roller coaster ride for sure....senior year is SO stressful!!!

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 21

I am doing my happy dance now.... :w00t: :party:

We just heard yesterday that my son got the merit scholarship at Liberty (his first choice) and with the other scholarships that stack he is almost at a full ride just about $1000 short.  We are so ecstatic and praising God for giving him the ability for him to succeed as well as for providing his old Ma direction in guiding his education.  I couldn't have done it with out the Holy Spirit's direction and for the hive and the wonderful advice many of you ladies have shared through the years.  I am so grateful and now we are able to enjoy his senior year before my melt down of him leaving home.  :(   Ha! 

For others who are waiting I am sending a group hug and sympathizing how stressful it can be!  Hang in there....for his other schools in the scholarships that were awarded automatic like Louisiana Tech and UAH, they sent a letter to us about 3-4 wks after we had received confirmation of acceptance so hopefully you all's will come soon.  LU first deadline was Nov. 1 and we were sweating bullets trying to get it in on time and so thankful we did..... they only offer 58 merit scholarships (and luckily they include commended-finalist in the same category) each year and so getting it in early I know helped. 

Good luck to you all!!

Oh, that is simply perfect! So pleased for him and you!!

• Like 1

Total failure of reading the fine print. Ds finally got the ACT score he needs to qualify for the next level merit scholarship, but the scores are locked at time of admission. His shiny new score will not be considered. :crying:

ETA: The priority scholarship deadline was Nov. 1, so he made sure he was in before that.

Boo! We have a few schools who will accept updated scores, for scholarship purposes, through March!
  • Like 1

Total failure of reading the fine print. Ds finally got the ACT score he needs to qualify for the next level merit scholarship, but the scores are locked at time of admission. His shiny new score will not be considered.  :crying:

ETA: The priority scholarship deadline was Nov. 1, so he made sure he was in before that. 

That's terrible!  We are dealing with our own blow....we were told (and they put out on a webinar by the college) that they could stack their scholarships but now stating they will not allow it to go past full tuition so all we are getting is full tuition which is great but now what to do with the other $10k for room and board... :-(  What a roller coaster ride!  I feel ya and big hugs....I have heard through most schools you have til May to up your scores to boost merit.  Maybe you should look at others.  So sorry!

That's terrible!  We are dealing with our own blow....we were told (and they put out on a webinar by the college) that they could stack their scholarships but now stating they will not allow it to go past full tuition so all we are getting is full tuition which is great but now what to do with the other $10k for room and board... :-(  What a roller coaster ride!  I feel ya and big hugs....I have heard through most schools you have til May to up your scores to boost merit.  Maybe you should look at others.  So sorry!

My oldest (2016 grad in Community College) is heading to a 4 year in January.  We too were told one thing about his scholarships, but then found out two that we were told we would get can't be stacked, so that leaves us $5K or so short of what we are comfortable spending.   We told him he is going to have to cover that portion, with 2 in college next year, we just can't.

On the bright side, they do stack scholarships and refund any extra for other expenses. So I guess he just has to start working on more outside scholarships.

Outside scholarships (especially four year ones) are kind of like reach schools - go for it, but have a financial safety school that's cheaper, too.

Adding this: DS was notified that he received a $15,000/yr Presidential Scholarship to WLC (above).

Also, today, he found out that he was accepted to Marquette University & offered a $17,000/yr Pere Marquette Scholarship!

Edited to add: Accepted to Texas A&M today!

Ds found out this week he received our MOC's nomination to West Point, USNA, and USAFA!!!! (Couldn't quote, but has LOA to West Point. )

Also, he received AROTC scholarship to UNC-Chapel Hill (Not accepted there yet), UW- Madison (Not accepted there yet), and Marquette (already accepted there!)

Finally, also accepted to Covenant College this week. Exciting week!

• Like 27

He just got his acceptance from Taylor. So--Cedarville, Messiah, Taylor and Houghton here. He's gotten Merit from all, but we still need to see the numbers.

He's got some more applications to finish. I wish we were done!

My daughter loved Messiah! It was in her Final 4. We visited twice. Such a charming area and everyone was so nice. The numbers didn't work for us though in the end.

Not sure what his stats are, but Messiah does have a scholarship weekend ( a few opportunities if I recall correctly) where students compete for a full tuition scholarship.

• Like 3

My daughter loved Messiah! It was in her Final 4. We visited twice. Such a charming area and everyone was so nice. The numbers didn't work for us though in the end.

Not sure what his stats are, but Messiah does have a scholarship weekend ( a few opportunities if I recall correctly) where students compete for a full tuition scholarship.

Yes, he is headed to it this weekend (it's Monday).  I'm not sure if he's prepared enough or will appear "shiny" enough.  We are just trusting God about the finances.

• Like 1

Just got our financial aid letter today.

Yes, we are hearing different things from different colleges.  A lot of the rolling admissions seem to be letting us know in December--I think Cedarville said Jan.  Some of the bigger scholarships won't let us know until the end of March.  I assume the April notification colleges will let us know at the time of admission.

• Like 2

It's finally official — DS will be an Ohio State Buckeye next year. In a way this was a "done deal" since he verbally committed to the coach in July, but I'm paranoid after what happened with NCAA, so I refused to say it out loud until the acceptance was in hand! 

He is one of the top 3 recruits in the country in his sport, and his stats are excellent, so he had offers from several higher ranked schools, but Ohio State offered him the best combination of athletics (they are arguably #1 in his sport, and certainly top 3), linguistics (top 10 department), languages (he's interested in Turkish and Uzbek), and money (full tuition for 4 yrs, split about 50/50 between athletic and academic scholarships).

The schools that were higher ranked overall either did not have a very competitive fencing team (Duke, Brown), or did not have a strong linguistics program (no linguistics major at all at Notre Dame, and it's part of Cog Sci at Brown), and were really not affordable for us anyway. One school (Penn State) offered more money, but it would all be athletic money (meaning we'd be on the hook for the full amount if DS were injured or quit the team), plus they don't have a true linguistics major and the team is lower ranked than OSU.

Ohio State has been DS's first choice since summer of 2016, when he did a two-week linguistics intensive there. The athletic facilities are amazing, the fencing program is considered an "Olympic prep program" (two members of the current team competed in Rio), and the linguistics department is higher ranked than many Ivies. Unlike many schools with small departments, OSU has tons of linguistics courses (and foreign languages) to choose from, and lots of opportunities for undergrad research. So he is super excited about going there, and I'm super happy about the free tuition!

• Like 37

Yes, he is headed to it this weekend (it's Monday).  I'm not sure if he's prepared enough or will appear "shiny" enough.  We are just trusting God about the finances.

Oh, wonderful! Tell him to be sure and chat up his fellow candidates, and express strong interest in attending. They want to give these scholarships to kids who are likely to attend.The interview part wasn't terribly intimidating according to my daughter.

• Like 1

Oh, wonderful! Tell him to be sure and chat up his fellow candidates, and express strong interest in attending. They want to give these scholarships to kids who are likely to attend.The interview part wasn't terribly intimidating according to my daughter.

Ok, I passed on the info. It's hard bc we are also trying to have him hold his choices lightly because the money will absolutely make the difference.

First acceptance in -- Florida Institute of Technology.

Now we are up to two!  Oklahoma Christian (swimming and merit aid)  FIT scholarships, aside from one that is guaranteed, won't be known for a bit.  Still waiting to hear on five more (pretty much expected to receive acceptance to those as well) Three more are schools he would swim for, two he would not swim for, but they offer significant scholarship opportunities

Still possible that DS will take a gap year and either defer or reapply (working on a major engineering internship if we stay in Italy for an extra 9 months)

• Like 14

Ok, I passed on the info. It's hard bc we are also trying to have him hold his choices lightly because the money will absolutely make the difference.

That was our situation too, and I think it's okay to tell them that the final decision will come down to money, while also being very positive about the wonders of Messiah :-)

• Like 1

Add Baylor to list of accepted with full Presidents Gold Scholarship.

Alabama has awarded her the Presidential Elite and Engineering scholarships along with Honors college.

Letu has invited her next week to interview for the Heritage Scholarship.

Still waiting on AES numbers from UTD.

Has completed 9 applications with 7 to go. She refuses to cross any off her list. Sigh.

She has been awarded the AES Honors scholarship at UTD. Just got back from LetU to interview for their Heritage scholarship.

And now we are up to 10 applications done and she crossed 3 off her list. Only 4 to go. Hoping to be all done this weekend.

• Like 15

Adding on to what I wrote from my sons acceptance to Susquehanna  a month ago. He's also been accepted to St. John's College -- Annapolis, and York College of Pennsylvania. St. John's is his dream school, they awarded him a nice scholarship, but it comes down to the financial aid package.  I really hope it works out. 

Edited by abdesigns
  • Like 17

She has been awarded the AES Honors scholarship at UTD. Just got back from LetU to interview for their Heritage scholarship.

And now we are up to 10 applications done and she crossed 3 off her list. Only 4 to go. Hoping to be all done this weekend.

Is your dd applying for McDermott at UTD?

Adding on to what I wrote from my sons acceptance to Susquehanna  a month ago. He's also been accepted to St. John's College -- Annapolis, and York College of Pennsylvania. St. John's is his dream school, they awarded him a nice scholarship, but it comes down to the financial aid package.  I really hope it works out. 

I was waiting to hear this news! Congratulations! Crossing my fingers for you and your ds...

Edited by lisabees