Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

Ds got his first acceptance today--to Cedarville, where his best buddy goes.

We aren't done the Common app, but Cedarville doesn't use it and so it got in first.

I definitely had the last minute jitters about messing it up.

But I guess not!

He is still doing other applications, but what a relief that he has an acceptance in hand as he does them.

Edited by freesia
  • Like 42

What?? A 2018 acceptance thread already??? *faint*

I have a senior, but we aren't planning to do any applications until Christmas!

Congratulations on your acceptance! My son is a senior at Cedarville this year. He absolutely loves it there. Our pocketbook doesn't love it, but he does. ðŸ˜

We are both in shock, too. Ds got an e-mail and told me in a bemused tone.

His best friend and friend's sister both go and love it. They seem to now have a pastor's kid scholarship and he qualifies for the diversity scholarship based on being from a diverse area and having lived (and been born) abroad as well as merit aid. So, with a loan and work--if he gets the scholarships, we may be able to swing it. We'll keep applying other places because he really needs to go where he gets the money.

• Like 5

My ds got accepted to Cedarville, too, for next year.  We were traveling to physical therapy when he looked down at his phone and announced the news...and it was only AUGUST!!!  :hurray:

Excellent!  It was so nice to have an unexpected acceptance and not have the waiting and hoping (though I think that will happen at some point for some of the schools).

• Like 3

Lol... I keep responding to this thread...

I have (another - lol) son who is a senior at LeTourneau this year. Like his twin brother who loves Cedarville U, he equally loves LETU. It has been a great fit for him.

Unless she gets into Stanford and we find some spare money lying around LetU is her first choice at the moment. Nobody around here has heard of it, nor do they understand why someone with her stats would want to go there but everytime she talks to them she just lights up. Whether she will end up there once finances are figured out hard to say. She has some great scholarship options already and I am sure more will come. Now if she will just hit submit on some of her other applications.... Edited by Plateau Mama
  • Like 4

DD has filled out early applications for 3 colleges so far and has already been accepted to all three!

Grand Canyon University, Phoenix, AZ

Boyce College, Louisville, KY

Corban University, Salem, OR

She is currently leaning towards Grand Canyon, because it would be the closest to us.  Still no definite decision yet. 

• Like 26

Ds2 received two acceptances this weekend! Loras College and Clarke University in Iowa. So far these are the only two applications he has done. He may add a couple more, but probably not.

If he doesn't like them when he visits in a month or so, he might be motivated to apply to a few more schools. :lol:

• Like 23

After the stress of college apps and acceptances last year, I am extremely happy to only be a follower on this thread.  

We need an emoji option where it shows someone kicked back, drinking coffee.  Since that option doesn't exist, I guess I'll just eat popcorn  :lol:

:lurk5:

With my youngest a senior in college now and middle son in med school, I'll join you with the popcorn.  It's pretty darn nice having the stress off and just being able to celebrate with others!

• Like 8

My ds has all four of his acceptances already:

East Tennessee State University

Middle Tennessee State University

Tennessee Tech

University of Tennessee-Knoxville

No secret what state we live in. Lol. This kid was easy- in state public university all the way. Best of luck to those of you with a more rigorous and stressful application season.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 27

After the stress of college apps and acceptances last year, I am extremely happy to only be a follower on this thread.

We need an emoji option where it shows someone kicked back, drinking coffee. Since that option doesn't exist, I guess I'll just eat popcorn :lol:

Amen. There were a couple months when I couldn't even read the 2017 thread because I would leave it all stressed out.

I'm so happy for folks getting acceptances (as I was last year too).

For everyone still waiting, hang in there.

• Like 5

Lol... I keep responding to this thread...

I have (another - lol) son who is a senior at LeTourneau this year. Like his twin brother who loves Cedarville U, he equally loves LETU. It has been a great fit for him.

My DH is a LETU grad. I'm hoping DS will want to go there when he starts applying (in 6 or so years. HA!)

Congrats to all who have already heard!

Unless she gets into Stanford and we find some spare money lying around LetU is her first choice at the moment. Nobody around here has heard of it, nor do they understand why someone with her stats would want to go there but everytime she talks to them she just lights up. Whether she will end up there once finances are figured out hard to say. She has some great scholarship options already and I am sure more will come. Now if she will just hit submit on some of her other applications....

My DH LOVED his time at LETU. He has great memories of the whole experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Ds just received a LOA to West Point!!! (Does that count? Still need the nomination, but our district isn't *extremely* competitive.)

Also, he received acceptance to Wisconsin Lutheran College a few days ago.

Adding this: DS was notified that he received a $15,000/yr Presidential Scholarship to WLC (above).

Also, today, he found out that he was accepted to Marquette University & offered a $17,000/yr Pere Marquette Scholarship!

Edited to add: Accepted to Texas A&M today!

The last two years of homeschooling have been so stressful and many tears of despair, frustration, and anger have been shed. Today I'm feeling like maybe we didn't totally screw oldest ds up. :001_smile:

Edited by Heather in WI
  • Like 31

My daughter has received an acceptance to Catawba College in NC via email, packet to arrive shortly but no info yet on financial aid. Scholarship competitions for the larger scholarships are by invitation and happen later, so we'll see what happens.

She has five other applications out, with some needing additional info. There's at least one that will not likely send out any acceptances until January.

• Like 20

My daughter got a call that she's been accepted to Colorado Christian University and eligible for the trustee level scholorship.  She also got an email from Colorado State University inviting her to apply for their honors program.  University of Northern Colorado just called and said they have received everything and will have an offer to her in two weeks.

She is a very happy girl.

Kimberly

Updated to add that she has now been accepted to all three schools.  She is choosing to attend University of Northern Colorado. and is very excited.  FYI this is my daughter who was diagnosed with profound dyslexia in 3rd grade and tested in 1% at that point.  She worked diligently with me and an educational therapist for three years to finally read on grade level.  She will be graduating high school in May with her associates in arts degree from local community college high school program.  So proud of her.

Edited by Splash
  • Like 26

My senior swimmer is announcing her verbal commitment today to--the University of Toledo.  She'll have no problem getting accepted, as they pretty much take all comers.  This process was all fun and games (for me, anyway--my role was primarily to act as travel agent) until it came down to the final two contenders.  And THAT was agonizing.  We've met so many lovely people in the recruiting process, from coaches who knew they did not have a spot for her and gave us enthusiastic tours anyway, to coaches who made shockingly generous offers and were incredibly gracious when she turned them down.  She ended up with 2 offers @ 100%; 1 at 85%; and 1 at 50%.  In my wildest dreams, I thought 50% would be the most she would receive.  We did not keep her in swimming for scholarship money; she would have swum anyway.  And don't think we're getting off scot-free here; we've told her we'll bank the money we've budgeted for college, and she can use it for nursing or PT school or as a down payment on a house.  (This is made possible by the fact that our kids were accidentally spaced just far enough apart that we will never have two in college at the same time.) I'm giving specifics here because the lore is that no one gets a full ride in an equivalency sport, and that is obviously not true. 

The other lore that I want to help debunk is that there is no academic money for kids with mediocre test scores.  She qualifies for but will turn down academic money at a couple of schools because she has athletic money (or she could swap them out, I suppose), and this was for a kid whose first ACT, taken cold, was a 21.  Through the magic of super scoring (which I highly recommend using as a strategy), she took it two more times to get her composite to round to a 27.  That was enough to get OOS waivers, and then some, at a couple of schools that are not that expensive in the first place.  

Go Rockets!

• Like 31

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has received an acceptance to Catawba College in NC via email, packet to arrive shortly but no info yet on financial aid. Scholarship competitions for the larger scholarships are by invitation and happen later, so we'll see what happens.

She has five other applications out, with some needing additional info. There's at least one that will not likely send out any acceptances until January.

The actual packet came from Catawba this week with an offer for the Presidential scholarship, which looks like the largest they give without having to compete at a scholarship day. She's filling out the honors application now to see if they invite her for the competition.

Roanoke College sent her a note earlier asking for a transcript and self-reported scores to get an estimate of aid. She got a letter back offering a very substantial foundational scholarship, an encouragement to fill out the full application, and an email from the admissions counselor saying that she would be "VERY competitive" for their larger scholarships. It's a school she had on her list for a long time, but marked off when it came down to actually applying as being just too expensive, so we've scrambled this week to get things in before the early action deadline on Monday.

Note: it's worth it to go out to the school's website and look at the counselor's bio if possible before responding to them. Courtney turned out to be male despite our assumption based on the name, which was a little awkward since my daughter had sent him an email addressing him as "Ms.", but she apologized in the next email after we had seen the bio. He was very gracious about it, said he got it all the time, but she didn't like starting off with awkwardness.

These have both been very encouraging to her (and to me :) ), but they are still private schools and expensive even with the level of scholarship at the moment.

• Like 17

We're still sweating it out with our son.  He had a rough senior year, then took a gap year and just applied for Jan 2018 start.  Waiting on reference letters to get there right now and a determination.  If he gets into his college of choice dh and I will have a huge celebration!  Otherwise it will be more Community Colllege until he has enough to transfer.

• Like 8

He got his acceptance to Houghton College today and an invitation to apply for the honors college. This is one of his top choices if it works out financially. ( which is awesome as his other top choices are higher stats schools and less likely to come through financially). I am happy for him.

It's the first Common App acceptance, which also makes me feel good--like we got all the parts done.

• Like 20

He got his acceptance to Houghton College today and an invitation to apply for the honors college. This is one of his top choices if it works out financially. ( which is awesome as his other top choices are higher stats schools and less likely to come through financially). I am happy for him.

It's the first Common App acceptance, which also makes me feel good--like we got all the parts done.

:hurray: 

:party: :party: :party:

• Like 2

I don't post much, but... My son was accepted to Susquehanna University with a really nice scholarship. His first choice is St. John's College in Annapolis, still waiting for them. Also applied to Dickinson and Ursinis. 

Congrats!! That is so exciting. My dd also applied to Susquehanna and will be applying to Dickinson. Thankful for the schools that give a quick decision--if they're a yes it gives such a boost of accomplishment :)

Congratulations!  DS attends Susquehanna, and we have nothing but great things to say about that school.  DD is applying there, as well.  And St. John's in MD. :)

• Like 1

Third acceptance in! Now we will likely have to wait until January for the four state schools she applied to. The list of acceptances so far:

Lenoir Rhyne University with merit scholarship (44% of cost of attendance)

Catawba College with merit scholarship (42% of cost of attendance)

Roanoke College with merit scholarship (39% of cost of attendance) and invitation to the on-campus competition day in November for further scholarships

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 15

We just finished all of our applications in September yeah!  Now we are working on the scholarship angle.  He got accepted everywhere he applied but is mostly looking at what school will give him the most money.   ;)

Acceptances:  University of Alabama (Huntsville)  (2nd choice if the merit doesn't pan out at LU at least tuition free)

Liberty University  (1st choice if gets merit/honors scholarship and close to a full ride...fingers crossed!)

Louisiana Tech

Virginia Tech (still haven't heard on this one but not too worried) (3rd due to cost)

Congrats to all others...isn't it great to know we made it!   :hurray: 

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 17

DD received two acceptances yesterday, one for UMaine and one for Susquehanna. Both had nice scholarships attached. She has applied to six total already, and she has six more apps to send out, which all have supplemental essays. She has two interviews scheduled for this weekend. Hopes to have everything wrapped up by mid-November. She was really dragging her feet for a while, so it's nice to see a flurry of activity :)

• Like 17

Well, he got his acceptance to the school that was making him nervous, so now he is okay with me revealing.

University of Michigan Dearborn - Scholarship - this will be his school if he chooses a Robotics Engineering major

University of Michigan Ann Arbor - Scholarship (potentially not enough though to make it doable for us) - for Aerospace Engineering

Michigan Technological University - Scholarship (definitely not enough at this point though so it is a wait and see) - Electrical Engineering Technology

Northern Michigan University - Scholarship (definitely a financial safety and he really likes the school) - Electrical Engineering Technology

Lake Superior State University - Scholarship (also a financial safety) - Electrical Engineering Technology and they have an ABET certified robotics minor so a contender for sure

Western Michigan University - Aerospace Engineering

University of Alabama at Huntsville - Scholarship - Aerospace Engineering but despite the scholarship with OOS tuition and travel it is probably NOT a contender unless we can do some serious financial finagling here.

So here I am a nearly decade long 4H leader whose affiliation is Michigan State University and who, FOUR FOR FOUR, have had kids apply to and be admitted to U of Michigan! Obviously there is a wolverine gene in the blood stream, a genetic mutation - according to the extension office staff - that we cannot fight. They call it our "immune disorder", LOL.

If I had a guess, I'd say he will likely land at NMU because he really clicked with the chair of the EET department when he had his faculty interview, LSSU because of the carrot of that robotics minor, or U of MI Dearborn for robotics which is an area of passion for him. But we can't count out U of MI main campus because they are heavily recruiting him for their IREC team since he's a successful TARC and NASA Student Launch team captain. He does have a bit of an itch to participate in IREC/Spaceport America Cup rocketry. However, though he loves Aerospace Engineering, he has been leaning electrical engineering because "power" is everything so he could still get into NASA or a subsidiary contract firm, but it is also more marketable than just AE. The other big downer to Ann Arbor is our boy is NOT a city dweller, and just doesn't seem to fit with the "campus that is a city" ideal. He is our go out into the woods, quiet kid. MTU, NMU, and LSSU are his best fit in terms of his personality.

MTU was his first love for certain. But they have to come up with more money in order for that to happen. They are about the same price as U of MI, but the scholarship at Wolverine land is a little larger, and we don't have the so much travel cost. He could also, in order to economize, move in with my aunt just as dd did if need be. The Dearborn campus is also several thousand cheaper than MTU.

WMU would be an okay choice. Just okay, and definitely not great from our perspective. He might do it, and then get an apartment with his brother who is there. However, to us it just doesn't seem like a good fit.

Has U of Michigan given decisions on EA applications already? I thought the earliest decisions would be released in late December?

Congrats to your son; sounds like he has a lot of great options.

• Like 2

Has U of Michigan given decisions on EA applications already? I thought the earliest decisions would be released in late December?

Congrats to your son; sounds like he has a lot of great options.

You know, I should remove that.

He received his by an OOPS. They weren't supposed to go out until December. We were shocked to see it. I even thought it might be one of those oops letters that we occasionally hear about where someone is rejected, but receives an acceptance so called them. They were pretty unhappy with themselves that it was mailed. I bet there are some other students who got them as well.  However, he was accepted, it just wasn't supposed to go out until the December batch. 

I am going to go edit that.

Maybe you can edit the quote above. 

• Like 5

You know, I should remove that.

He received his by an OOPS. They weren't supposed to go out until December. We were shocked to see it. I even thought it might be one of those oops letters that we occasionally hear about where someone is rejected, but receives an acceptance so called them. They were pretty unhappy with themselves that it was mailed. I bet there are some other students who got them as well.  However, he was accepted, it just wasn't supposed to go out until the December batch. 

I am going to go edit that.

Maybe you can edit the quote above. 

Wow, twice this happened?  What are the odds of that?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/567461-list-view-of-2016-acceptances-copy-and-paste-and-add-your-student-here-so-we-can-celebrate/?p=6661429

If U of M is making this many mistakes, are you sure you trust them to educate your children?

Signed, 

A Notre Dame Fan 

• Like 7

Wow, twice this happened? What are the odds of that?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/567461-list-view-of-2016-acceptances-copy-and-paste-and-add-your-student-here-so-we-can-celebrate/?p=6661429

If U of M is making this many mistakes, are you sure you trust them to educate your children?

Signed,

A Notre Dame Fan

I’m so glad you quoted this thread! This morning on the treadmill I was thinking about it and I felt like this conversation was ‘groundhog day’- it seemed SO familiar that it had to have happened before. But my forum search skills aren’t good enough that I would have found it! Strange.
  • Like 5

I’m so glad you quoted this thread! This morning on the treadmill I was thinking about it and I felt like this conversation was ‘groundhog day’- it seemed SO familiar that it had to have happened before. But my forum search skills aren’t good enough that I would have found it! Strange.

Well, that is what made me look!  I kept thinking, "Didn't we have this same conversation?"  In fact, when I read it, I had to double check the date as I thought maybe it was an old thread that had resurfaced.

• Like 4