Menu

If you needed to incorporate a vegan into a vacation with meat-lovers, how would you do it?

Laurie4b

There are 7 people going with us on our family vacation: 5 who really, really love meat, me (I am happy with vegetarian meals, but also eat meat) and one ds's GF, who is apparently in process of becoming   vegan ie brand spanking new. (Heard through a reliable portion of the grapevine so I am planning ahead) 

For the 5, a vacation wouldn't be a vacation without some emphasis on meat. I normally only serve red meat once a week or less, otherwise mostly chicken and fish, so they look forward to more beef on vacations, especially a fall vacation. 

I know I potentially have the option where GF kind of fends for herself, but that's not my value system.  I am under no pressure to do this. I want to. I would prefer to make at least some meals where she would feel  that special care was taken for her desires. (I have one ds with sensory issues and so I have been altering typical family meals his whole life so there is often a modified version for him. So I am used to it.)

I have a fair amount of experience with vegetarian options, not much with vegan. 

I would normally serve foods like these on vacation: 

Pot roast with potatoes, carrots, green vege

Lasagna soup (has meat and cheese in it) 

Cajun Chicken with rice & greens

I am willing to do a "Mom cooks,  this couple cooks, that couple cooks" kind of rotation. 

I do have a good recipe for lentil rice soup. I was also thinking "make your own burrito" where I could have a side bar of meat, cheese, beans, veges. (I like mine with beans and veges only))

I use almond milk in my coffee. I eat nuts frequently so those would already be on my "list." 

How would you handle this? What kinds of foods would you have to make sure she gets enough protein, calcium, etc. so that if a particular meal doesn't work, she has the components to get her nutritional needs met? 

Any vegan recipes that most people enjoy or would enjoy if I cooked vegan and then added meat to for the meat-eaters? 

Any vegan recipes for something like a casserole or something I could prepare for her to have on pot roast night or any other time? 

What about commericial vegan breads for sandwiches? ( I have never read labels for milk products!)  

Thanks for any help! 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

Instead of soups and casseroles, make modular meals that have separate dishes. Prepare the meat for the meat eaters, but make the side dishes (starches, vegetables, salads) separately and keep them vegan. This is possible without any weird vegan specific ingredients, and the meat eaters won't know the difference.

Incorporate lots of vegetables.  Substitute olive oil or coconut oil (or vegan butter if you have) for butter. You can often replace cream with coconut cream. If dairy is required in a dish, substitute a non-dairy milk (soy, almond or coconut). 

I have had a vegan guest for traditional American Thanksgiving. We simply made sure all ten sides besides the turkey were vegan and could be eaten by all in attendance.

ETA: French bread and baguette should be dairy free and vegan friendly. Bagels usually are, too.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

Could you make dishes with meat or cheese on the side to add in on top/stir in later?  Make a veggie pot roast and cook the meat separately - recombine for those who want.

Yes, this. My daughter is vegetarian (a bit simpler than vegan, I know, as she eats dairy).  I make curry fairly often, using chicken, mostly.  I will make extra of the sauce mixture, and have two pans going:  one with the chicken, and one with chickpeas.  I also do this with soups/chili.  For a party once, I made two pots of chili:  one with meat but no beans, and one with beans but no meat.  (I know a few people who won't eat beans.)  People could eat one, or mix them up.    Could you do similar with other meat dishes (spaghetti and meatballs, etc)?  It creates another pan to clean, but really that's about the only inconvenience I've found.

Mexican food - your burrito idea - is perfect for this.

Another thing I make is chicken shawarma, with falafel, tahini sauce, sometimes hummus, etc.  Everything is separate and each person fills their pita to their own specifications.  

If you grill, does she like veggie burgers that can go on with the steaks/hamburgers?    

For sandwiches, we have recently discovered some vegan "cold cuts" - Tofurkey brand I think? that my daughter likes.  

Would she enjoy brainstorming with you or would it make her uncomfortable?  I know some people feel their eating restrictions (self-imposed or otherwise) are burdensome to people and will fall back on "I'll bring my own."  It could be a fun bonding experience for the two of you, maybe?  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

Also, I would stock up on some snacks. For example, if your folks eat yoghurt for breakfast, I'd buy a few soy or almond yoghurts for her to have on hand. Nut butter is vegan and makes a good snack.

ETA: If she is newly becoming vegan, she may not yet have figured out how to replace the animal products in her diet efficiently. She may need to eat more frequently, since she is eating less calorie dense foods, and her previous feeling of being "full" may no longer serve as a good guide for eating enough. It will take a while for her to establish the new patterns.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Two little things that are less obvious and may only be an issue if she is a strict vegan:

1. White cane sugar is processed with bone char and not acceptable to strict vegans. Morena sugar, beet sugar, or organic cane sugar are processed differently and are vegan.

2. If you drink wine: most wines are clarified using egg white and are not vegan friendly. There are vegan wines that are processed without egg white, and there are lists on the internet. 

• Like 2

My vegan family love Gimme Lean beef for hamburgers and the sausage for breakfast: http://lightlife.com/products/gimme-lean-sausage

http://lightlife.com/products/gimme-lean-beef. 

I do stews with this meat: http://www.sweetearthfoods.com/our-products/#savory-grounds

bouillon: https://store.veganessentials.com/natural-vegan-chicken-and-beef-bouillon-cubes-by-edward--sons-p2122.aspx

Here's a shrimp I've been using in my Mexican rice and ceviche: http://vegetarian-plus.com/product/vegan-shrimp/

Must have vegan butter: https://earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/

We base our vacations largely around food too. My vegans occasionally chant "meat, meat, meat" :) You can defiantly have a vegan meat-y vacation! 

• Like 1

I would do fewer one-pot meals and more separated parts, then just make sure to have a protein component in addition to the meat/fish/dairy/egg.   Don't use sauces that have butter or dairy as a base - instead do olive oil or veg. sauces; make sure the bread you use for meals is dairy, egg, and (potentially, depending on the vegan) refined-sugar free.

• Like 2

I agree--just ask her. She's not a child, after all, and probably has a very good idea of her own expectations (ie she might be planning to cook for herself, or she might prefer to eat out, or it's not a big deal, or any number of things).

I would have preferred almost anything over a boyfriend's mom making special food for me (or going on vacation with his parents, but that's another matter).

You can't wrong with just talking about it ahead of time.

• Like 4

I would have preferred almost anything over a boyfriend's mom making special food for me (or going on vacation with his parents, but that's another matter).

This exactly, and I still feel this way when I visit my in-laws.  I do not want them to make me special food.  So usually I just don't eat what I normally eat.  If my food choice was due to some sort of philosophical objection, I'd rather cook my own food or order out or whatever over having someone cater to me.

• Like 2

I would just ask her directly. Let her know what your typical menu would be and ask for her input for adapting or substituting. She may not like typical substitutions, and most brands of vegan cheese are gross :( She may have a "go to" side dish that will be good to have in abundance, or maybe she dislikes eats the same thing twice in a week.

Burger night is easy- get some vegan veggie burgers.

Also, find out "how vegan" she is, and if she is comfortable with minor/trace ingredients in situations like this, such as breads, buns, margarines.

I have a dear friend who is strictly vegan for ethical reasons, and soy-free for health reasons, so I always run menus/ingredients by her on the rare and celebrated occasions I'm able to provide food for the family. Because there are things that I would think are OK but are not for them.

More important than food, IMO, is not having meat-eaters try to trick the vegan into eating animal products or anything mean like that, and the vegan not ruining the fun of the special vacation menu for the meat eaters. But you did t mention any potential issues there, just something I've witnessed with various non-typical diets.

ENJOY!

• Like 4

I'd have a big jar of Peanut Butter, blocks of tofu, cooked beans and lentils on hand. She should also bring her own favored foods, too, and not depend on you for everything.

Perhaps a night of cheese lasagna..with italian sausages grilled separately for those who crave meat. Stir fry...and cook all the veggies together, then remove her portion before adding in meat.

• Like 1

I think the modular meal idea would be the easiest.  Only thing is I'd wonder about is protein.  I can't imagine feeling satisfied on a meal of rice and green beans.  Or all vegetable salads with mashed potatoes on the side.  So it might be odd as a complete meal for the vegan.  So maybe there are some easy protein items that can be added for the vegan guest.

Or maybe make vegan meals with meat on the side.  Most meats aren't really much more work.

One product you might look into is in the freezer section:  it is called "Beyond Meat" and they have both ground beef and chicken nugget substitutes.  It is pea proteins not soy, and it is GOOD.  We eat vegan about 45% of the year, and this has been a wonderful help to us.  It's pricey, though...but if you do like a taco bar thing one day, and offer this as an option, spaghetti (add beef or this into the sauce), it stretches.  

A guy in our parish makes vegetarian chili with this or TVP and people eat it as readily as they do the meat chili.  It's that good.

ETA:   at our parish, we eat lunch together every Sunday.  Because some are perpetual vegans, we always make sure we have rice and a big green salad available so no one goes away hungry.  The protein part is what is hard to deal with, but I notice that the vegans tend to bring bags of cashews and so on to munch on.  

I have recommended this site before, but I think she has some great vegan recipes. You might find something that everyone would like. She especially has some great cookie desserts that everyone would like. http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-entrees/

I would think the taco bar would be easy to separate into vegan components. I eat meat, but I prefer red lentil taco filling to hamburger meat. 

Pesto pasta is a pretty universal meal and can easily be vegan. 

A vegan tomato sauce pasta with Italian sausage on the side.

Steaks with all the veggie sides - especially roasted veggies in olive oil. 

• Like 2

I am vegan. With the meals you mentioned, the first one I'd eat everything but the meat. The second one just make a small pot of lasagna soup minus the meat and cheese. The third one Id just eat the rice & veggies. if you wanted to add more protein, substitute the rice for quinoa. That all sounds yummy and filling to me. For lunch my favorite is a baked potato & salad. HTH

• Like 2

For us, when we have niece with us for meals, we always, always, always do meat as a stand alone, and all of the vegetables either uncooked or if cooked in some way, using only herbs and veggie broth. Fruit is also just served on a platter.

When doing a vegan meal, I tend towards simple things like vegan tacos which means corn chips or corn, hard shells, no cheese on the table, coconut milk based plain yogurt for sour cream, black beans, pinto beans, fresh made salsa and quacamole with no animal byproducts so it is definitely easiest to make your own, chopped veggies on a platter. Everyone makes their own.

• Like 4

I would make a huge tossed salad loaded with veggies and buy some vegan salad dressing for starters. Have some canned beans to add on the side if someone else in the family would object to that. Make a salad at every meal. Buy some frozen veggie burgers, vegan burritos, etc. to add to that. You could also purchase frozen rice.

• Like 1

Here is a popular recipe with my niece:

I layer salad green, usually romaine and butter lettuce with cooked and cooled black beans and pinto beans, can of corn, and finely diced red peppers. I top each layer with homemade ranch dressing by using coconut milk based greek yogurt mixed with parsley, garlic, dill, tarragon, and a hint of vegan, djohn mustard. I then thin it to the right consistency with coconut or almond milk - unflavored, not the vanilla stuff which has a sweet flavor. Over that, salsa. I make three layers and then on the very top crunch up blue corn chips very finely (the chop setting on my blender works pretty well). I am very generous with the beans. I also put out a jar of jalapenos on the side.

She loves this stuff. Loves it. I have to admit I"m pretty fond of it too, but when I make it for my mom, since she is type two diabetic and it is already a smidge high on the glycemic scale due to the legumes, I forego the corn and corn chips.

With hot spanish rice and beans in the crock pot, it is a delicious meal. I rarely have the meat lovers complain.

• Like 4

Really? 

I am having a hard time imagining someone being uncomfortable by being asked what they want to eat when they are on vacation.  I mean I am not thinking some sort of major interrogation or something.  Just something like "hey, I am making menu plans for vacation next week so I can go to the grocery store before we leave.  What sort of things can I put on the menu plan for you?" 

Does that sort of thing tend to make vegans uncomfortable?

Oh, I don't think it makes vegans uncomfortable per se.

That's why I mentioned it depends on how long the relationship has been going on. I could imagine the young person feeling uncomfortable at the thought that I am making a fuss, and also uncomfortable expressing their wishes - unless they know the bf's mother well and already feel comfortable in the family.

I discussed my DD's vegan bf's food accommodations with DD; I would not want him to feel that it is a trouble or burden to me. Does that make sense? The own kid is in a more comfortable position to advocate for their SO's food preferences to their own mom. I imagine this will change when the SO has been a part of the family for a longer time.

Maybe I am assuming too much; I was just under the impression the OP has not had a direct conversation with the girl about her being vegan ("heard through the grapevine")

Edited by regentrude

my son spent a year as vegan all about the early adult hood finding there way.   I pretty much just cooked 2 meals for a year.  He was happy with lots of bean/quinoa/tofu meal.   He is not a picky eater.  When on vacation I took veg burgers and other false vegan foods.  He ate lots of fries LOL.  I pretty much see most young vegan/veg eating lots of greasy fries so I was always trying to find healthy meals for him.  We get a lot of young women with low iron that aren't eating meat.

I would ask her whats on her diet or just take her shopping with you when you get to vacation destination  

• Like 1

Not really, but I suspect that's because I am envisioning a different situation than you are.  For me, if I am cooking food for people, I want to cook food they are willing to eat.  So, like I said before, I would ask this of anyone.....if someone hates bell peppers, I wouldn't want to make stuffed peppers.  That's true regardless of dietary preferences.  And I would generally just assume that anyone who taking me on vacation and asking that question is asking for the same reasons. 

Oh, of course I would want to make food they want to eat! That's why I would ask my child  - because as a girl, I probably would not have felt comfortable telling my bf's mother that I don't like bell peppers! After a few years of being a DIL, perhaps ;)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

The Herbivoracious blog has lots of surprisingly yummy recipes, many of which are vegan (we're not vegans or vegetarians but dairy free). 

If she's one of those super-uptight "I can't have even the most minuscule contamination during any step of processing the food" kind of vegans it's going to be harder than if she's a more easygoing personality type.  

• Like 1

Not really, but I suspect that's because I am envisioning a different situation than you are.  For me, if I am cooking food for people, I want to cook food they are willing to eat.  So, like I said before, I would ask this of anyone.....if someone hates bell peppers, I wouldn't want to make stuffed peppers.  That's true regardless of dietary preferences.  And I would generally just assume that anyone who taking me on vacation and asking that question is asking for the same reasons. 

I get what you are saying, but it's complicated by two things - many people consider a vegan diet to be 'weird' or just too picky.  And, young people often feel uncomfortable being asked those questions by people they don't know well.   My daughter is vegetarian and she gets challenged frequently by well-meaning but ignorant people.  So she is wary with people she doesn't know well.

But also, the question "what do you like?" is impossible to answer.  Most people like a lot of things. Better to ask "do you have any food restrictions, allergies, or things you really don't like?"  Most people will only tell you the restrictions or allergies.  If it's a self-imposed restriction, people may be even more hesitant to speak up.  (There is no reason my daughter is a vegetarian except her own preference.)

Now if the OP's son knows what his GF likes, he can work with his mom.  And if the GF is open to it, OP can work with her directly.  But if she's not, then OP is right to just have some foods available.  My guess is that the girl is not going to be picky, except to stay within the constraints of her veganism.  

If the OP is uncertain the girl is vegan, then by all means, don't plan anything till that's certain.  Would hate to have all sorts of lovely bean and quinoa dishes and having her ignore it in favor of a hamburger!

• Like 2

I'd ask her, or at least your son, (who is the boyfriend, right?).  My nephew and his girlfriend have been vegans for years. But the girlfriend really mostly eats carbs and very few veggies. She eats a ton of potatoes (french fries!), rice, pasta, and their own homemade bread.  Neither eat meat or cheese substitutes.  My nephew eats very little in the way of starches and mostly eats veggies. Two very different ways of being vegan. 

So it might be easier to ask.  

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but some meat-free ideas...

taco night (vegetarian beans). Meat eaters can add beef or chicken if it's available on the side.

Salad with meat on the side

Spaghetti with meat on the side such as meatballs as opposed to a ragu OR two sauces to choose from and noodles kept separately (dh adds olive oil to help them from sticking together).

I might ask where she is now... like, is she a lacto-ovo vegetarian? Maybe you can do dishes with eggs. Grilled cheese. You could still do pizza night.

I have recommended this site before, but I think she has some great vegan recipes. You might find something that everyone would like. She especially has some great cookie desserts that everyone would like. http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-entrees/

I would think the taco bar would be easy to separate into vegan components. I eat meat, but I prefer red lentil taco filling to hamburger meat. 

Pesto pasta is a pretty universal meal and can easily be vegan. 

A vegan tomato sauce pasta with Italian sausage on the side.

Steaks with all the veggie sides - especially roasted veggies in olive oil. 

The Oh She Glows pesto recipe is delicious!

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/08/04/high-protein-oil-free-basil-pesto/

• Like 1

Could you make dishes with meat or cheese on the side to add in on top/stir in later?  Make a veggie pot roast and cook the meat separately - recombine for those who want.

What is a vege pot roast? Is that a main dish or do you mean roast the veges separately? The carrots and onions are needed for flavor for the meat, but I could do a separate pot of those. 

ETA: maybe there is a difference in terminology from US to UK?  To me a "pot roast" is a beef chuck roast slow cooked for a few hours. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

I like stir fry made with tofu & vegetables.  It's an easy meal, too.  On vacation, though, I'd probably do a kabob meal, making up some vegan and then some with beef or chicken, and grilled fruit for dessert.

What would you put on a vegan kabob besides veges? What would the protein be? 

What would you put on a vegan kabob besides veges? What would the protein be? 

In our house mushrooms would take the place of a protein, either marinated baby bellas or a white button.  It's not the same value as meat, but it works.  Usually I'd do a soy based marinade or something more Moroccan inspired - with a citrus glaze on the grilled fruit.  They just go so well together.  You could also do a side of black beans or hummus with veggies/chips.    Another option would be a vegan chili night - no need for the meat at all.

Note - I am not restricted, but my son took a vegan cooking class one year and we started incorporating more into our diet.  And since I'm not the world's greatest cook (nor like it) I tend to go more simple when it comes to things I'm willing to make.  The elaborate cashew-butter mac n "cheese" will never be made by me, though he can do it as much as he likes.

• Like 1

On the asking directly: she may feel uncomfortable if you do, unless they have been having a long relationship and she is practically family.. I would handle that through your ds. HE should tell you what foods his gf eats.

Yes. For one thing, this is brand new to her and ds won't know right now anyway. For another, I think a direct ask would put her on the spot as she wouldn't like to put people out, so it would be better if I have some possibilities already in mind. And  I already often have to cook a separate meal for my ds with sensory issues,  and am also known to prepare different veges depending on who doesn't like cooked carrots or something; iow. It's my "normal" to have "options" at a meal to meet my family's preferences, so it's not like she'd be the only one. 

I recall being at a Thanksgiving dinner at someone else's house where another guest  was newly vegan. The hostess wasn't thinking about dairy in the mashed potatoes, and there was a kind of a scene when the hostess "ruined" that part of the meal then had to try to figure out something else on the spot. (Not that ds's GF would make a scene; she wouldn't. It's just I don't want to do something absent-mindedly that would be a problem.) 

And I love to plan vacations so some of this is me happily dreaming up what to do in terms of food. 

Thanks for the many suggestions!   Fortunately, I rarely cook with butter or make sauces with dairy, so that won't be an issue. I hadn't thought of the vegan meat substitutes. 

For those of you who use them, would a ground "meat substitute" work in soup?  I appreciate the suggestions of brand names people have made. 

Anyone have brand name bread you'd recommend? 

Edited by Laurie4b

The Food for Life line has different kinds that appeal to people with dietary restrictions. I personally have eaten a few during and not during times I was omitting things from my diet. They don't have preservatives so are supposed to be stocked in a cooler or frozen section of the grocery store. We have bought the frozen English muffins before and loaves of bread. I've had Ezekiel, Genesis, and the 7 grain one. But I don't know if they were from the vegan line.

http://www.foodforlife.com/products/vegan

Personally, I would not go after the brown rice bread, but only because I tried a brown rice bread (different brand, I think Ener-G) and it was horrible. The only way I was able to salvage it was in the form of French toast lol.

I know this is awful, but dh and I ate junk food vegetarian at times. Morning Star corn dogs and stuff. I never got into tofu. Sorry, couldn't do it. I'm trying to remember if I liked Boca burgers or not. I tried some non dairy cheese, but it wasn't great at melting and texture was a bit funny. That was the Veggie brand and something else. But I never saw the rice cheese so I can't speak for that. If she drinks non dairy milk you have many options. You may want to find out if she prefers soy, almond, rice, or something else.

• Like 1

What is a vege pot roast? Is that a main dish or do you mean roast the veges separately? The carrots and onions are needed for flavor for the meat, but I could do a separate pot of those.

ETA: maybe there is a difference in terminology from US to UK? To me a "pot roast" is a beef chuck roast slow cooked for a few hours.

I would make essentially a veggie stew, with vegan broth at the same time as cooking the meat. Then put those two on the table along with some cooked beans and people could combine as they like. When I said 'pot roast' I was talking about time and method, trying to make it easier for the host.

• Like 1

I am fascinated that you people worry about balanced nutrition on holidays.  :laugh:

:lol:

You know, before I had kids I didn't worry at all.  I was perfectly fine eating all the junk I wanted.  Then my kids decided to be demons who fed off the souls of Ho-hos and Twinkies, getting more spastic with each deep fried, overly sugared or salted snack.  Fun times.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I am fascinated that you people worry about balanced nutrition on holidays.  :laugh:

My DD and I love good food. And we feel so much better when we eat well. The luxury of nice meals is part of the fun of vacation.

This is the one thing I dislike about backpacking vacations: it's impossible to eat well.

My DD and I love good food. And we feel so much better when we eat well. The luxury of nice meals is part of the fun of vacation.

This is the one thing I dislike about backpacking vacations: it's impossible to eat well.

Too right! As long as someone else is cooking!

I want to go back to South Australia to try magpie goose. 

And it is worth driving all the way to Broken Hill for quandong tart.  :drool5:

And it is worth driving all the way to Broken Hill for quandong tart.  :drool5:

I wish I had not googled that recipe - and several of the ingredients - because now I want to try it and I'm pretty sure there are no Australian restaurants or shops in my corner on Pennsylvania, USA.   :-)

<snip>

For those of you who use them, would a ground "meat substitute" work in soup?  I appreciate the suggestions of brand names people have made. 

Anyone have brand name bread you'd recommend? 

I have successfully used TVP in a stir-fry that was pretty saucy/wet, so I *think* it would work OK in a soup... but I am not sure.  

I hope you have a wonderful trip and the food works out well for everyone.  And, I hope you do just as much cooking as you want to do, and no more.  

• Like 1

I would make sure you had a good salad or veggie option for each meal. I had to cook dinner for someone who was allergic to meat. I made pasta with marinara sauce and then had meatballs on the side. I have a recipe for lentil stew that my kids love. There are a lot of dishes that you can just have the meat separate from the veggie or starch and then combine on the plate.

• Like 1

I wish I had not googled that recipe - and several of the ingredients - because now I want to try it and I'm pretty sure there are no Australian restaurants or shops in my corner on Pennsylvania, USA.   :-)

There are options...

https://shop.oxfam.org.au/outback-pride-jam-set-of-4

https://www.bushtuckershop.com/products/desert-quandong-jam?variant=1105597853

Just in case you need enabling!  :Angel_anim:

There are options...

https://shop.oxfam.org.au/outback-pride-jam-set-of-4

https://www.bushtuckershop.com/products/desert-quandong-jam?variant=1105597853

Just in case you need enabling!  :Angel_anim:

Uh oh....

I don't have an extra $25 to spend on exotic jams right now, but when I do...  (or, Christmas is coming...)   :coolgleamA:

I love trying new foods.  And I forget sometimes that there are all sorts of things out there waiting for me to sample... 

• Like 1

I would make essentially a veggie stew, with vegan broth at the same time as cooking the meat. Then put those two on the table along with some cooked beans and people could combine as they like. When I said 'pot roast' I was talking about time and method, trying to make it easier for the host.

Thanks! Originally, I was picturing something like Tofurkey---only for pot roast!