Menu

Girl Scout badge/patch for martial arts?

Anyone know if there are any councils out there that might have a Girl Scout Junior badge or patch for martial arts participation? I'm particularly searching for aikido, but realize that may be a bit too specialized. I'm hoping there's one at least for martial arts in general. I've tried googling, but haven't had much success (found some other cool Council's Own badges though :)).

I didn't know if it had to be a GS approved patch or if it could be what BSA calls a temporary patch. I just ordered from Advantage and received the patches in 3 days!

Actually, yes, I am particularly looking for a GS approved patch or badge. There are a number of sports related badges for Junior Girl Scouts, but none that are really related to martial arts. My daughter has been taking aikido for over a year now, and I was hoping to find one that applied to that or at least to martial arts in general for her to wear on her vest. I'm really rather surprised that there isn't one.

Anyone know if there are any councils out there that might have a Girl Scout Junior badge or patch for martial arts participation? I'm particularly searching for aikido, but realize that may be a bit too specialized. I'm hoping there's one at least for martial arts in general. I've tried googling, but haven't had much success (found some other cool Council's Own badges though :)).

Well, first of all Girl Scouts are transitioning away from the traditional badges to badges that fit together called "Journeys" or something. So in a few years this will be a moot point.

I have the Junior GS badge book in front of me, and the sports-related badges are all based on multiple sports. For example- court sports, winter sports, adventure sports. There is a sports sampler badge, but the emphasis is on trying new things.

I'm a girl scout leader, and we decided to plan our year based around the girls' interests and see how close we come to a couple badges.

There are a couple of self-defense badges, that require martial arts participation but I couldn't find any that were specifically for just martial arts. These are Council's Own badges, that can be worn on the front of the uniform.

http://www.girlscouts-rh.org/patches/selfdefense.htm

http://www.girlscoutsindiana.org/program/councilowninsigniapdf/selfdefensebadge.pdf

Don't know if this is one that was mentioned - Get in the Game has a martial art component.

ETA: You can do other councils' badge and patch programs! We've earned: Underground Railroad from Ohio's Black Diamond council, Exploring Old Cemeteries from a NJ council, and Exploring the Nation's Capital from the DC council.

Well, first of all Girl Scouts are transitioning away from the traditional badges to badges that fit together called "Journeys" or something. So in a few years this will be a moot point.

I have the Junior GS badge book in front of me, and the sports-related badges are all based on multiple sports. For example- court sports, winter sports, adventure sports. There is a sports sampler badge, but the emphasis is on trying new things.

I'm a girl scout leader, and we decided to plan our year based around the girls' interests and see how close we come to a couple badges.

I'm a new leader as well. Yes, I've had the training on the new material (not that I was terribly impressed with the training we received---not sure how the new material actually works with the old). At this point they've told us that it's to work in conjunction with the badge books. Given what I've seen of it, I don't know how it would actually work to drop the badges all together. I'll worry about it being moot down the road, if it comes to that.;)

I've been through the badge book and we are using part of the sports sampler badge to address a bit (working to improve, history of women in your sport, warm up/cool down exercises, etc). Given that they have the ones you mentioned and the popularity of martial arts for kids, I am just rather surprised that there's not one that more specifically includes it.

I have already encouraged my girls to go through and see which badges they are already working on in some aspect of their lives and which ones they want to pursue. There's so much that we cover just in our regular homeschool group opportunities that it won't be hard to get several and I am hoping exploring the badge book will pique their interests in trying something new.

Don't know if this is one that was mentioned - Get in the Game has a martial art component.

ETA: You can do other councils' badge and patch programs! We've earned: Underground Railroad from Ohio's Black Diamond council, Exploring Old Cemeteries from a NJ council, and Exploring the Nation's Capital from the DC council.

Thanks! I think this is what I needed---something the girls can all work toward together if they like, but recognizes the efforts of those who are involved in particular sports on an ongoing basis. Looks like it will also work well with the Girl Scouts Shape Up patch program.

Yes, I've been exploring the Council's Own options. We've already had girls who have done ones from another council in NC on exploring agriculture and exploring the state capital. I'll have to check on the Nation's Capital one, as there are plans shaping up for a homeschool group trip to DC in the spring. My daughter is interested in doing the mythology and comics ones from a council in Virginia and possibly the fishing one they offer as well.

My daughter is interested in doing the mythology and comics ones from a council in Virginia and possibly the fishing one they offer as well.

That sounds like one our girls would enjoy - I'll have to look it up.

My $.02 on the new programming - some of my scouts took a look at the book for Juniors. Their response was "Ehhh..." We're sticking to the old-style program. In fact, the girls and moms have decided to stick with juniors into 6th grade, to finish up the Bronze award, even though the new program has us bridging to cadettes this year.

We kind of march to our own beat. :D

That sounds like one our girls would enjoy - I'll have to look it up.

My $.02 on the new programming - some of my scouts took a look at the book for Juniors. Their response was "Ehhh..." We're sticking to the old-style program. In fact, the girls and moms have decided to stick with juniors into 6th grade, to finish up the Bronze award, even though the new program has us bridging to cadettes this year.

We kind of march to our own beat. :D

Here you go

http://www.gsvsc.org/ooc_badges.htm There's also a tryit for it if you go back to their council's own page http://www.gsvsc.org/ooc_tryits.htm

Understood, we're doing something similar---not surprising as homeschoolers :D.

We have a mixed troop of Juniors and Brownies. A couple of our Brownies would technically be Daisies under the new age levels, but they fit better with Brownie activities. My daughter age-wise would be a Brownie under the new age levels but is more interested in the Junior level so that's where she is. A couple of our Juniors could have gone into Cadettes this year, but wanted to do Juniors......

We're sticking with the old style program as well at least for this year. In our training, I was told that the big thing they want is for leaders to use the new approach---discover, learn and connect I believe, through having cooperative, girl-led activities, etc. No problem with doing that.

There are a couple of self-defense badges, that require martial arts participation but I couldn't find any that were specifically for just martial arts. These are Council's Own badges, that can be worn on the front of the uniform.

http://www.girlscouts-rh.org/patches/selfdefense.htm

http://www.girlscoutsindiana.org/program/councilowninsigniapdf/selfdefensebadge.pdf

Hey, I forgot that councils and create their own badges. I'll have to search for other badges also- these are cool!