Menu

Not school related - Getting appointments

What is the secret to getting appointments? It took forever to get an initial screening appointment for ASD. And I left that appointment having to make 3 more: 1 OT, 1 PT, 1 Neuropsych. Trying to get these appointments is like a part time job. I finally talked to someone from Neuropsych today and they didn't get our referral, but it doesn't matter because they don't see kids with ASD. So then I had to leave another message for the screening Dr. asking what my next step should be.

Is there a trick I'm missing? If you have really good insurance (we don't) is this process easier?

• Like 1

Autism clinic will often have everything under one roof. You want SLP, OT, and psych. PT is usually separate I think. We didn't do it under one roof like that, did piecemeal, but clinic would be MUCH better if you can make it happen. Besides, that clinic will see autism all the time. Just make sure they're not anti-homeschooling. It happens, sigh. 

Hospital autism clinics will be expensive. Sounds like you want a university one or private. Just price around. But definitely look for people who see autism a lot. 

How old is the dc? Depending on the age, there is some more detailed testing a behaviorist or a team would run that a psych doesn't get around to. 

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

Is there a trick I'm missing? If you have really good insurance (we don't) is this process easier?

The trick I've found (and it only works some of the time) is having our pediatric neurologist call on my child's behalf. We are lucky enough to have good insurance but even with good insurance waiting lists are often long.

If you have flexibility with location, sometimes that can shorten wait times. My DS needs a follow-up appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist on the referral of the optometrist and the MD we saw back when DS was younger is booking in November (!) So we are driving to one 45+ minutes away who can see him in mid-September. I haven't cancelled the appointment scheduled for November yet since I don't know if this other eye doctor is any good.

• Like 1

Been there, done that, cannot stand to deal with it any more. First, my child waited years to be diagnosed. Then it was several more years to get any sort of services. And then he aged out of those services a few months later. Early intervention?? Who gets that? Why bother! Does it exist? If the eval lists are 3 years long and the services wait lists are 3 yrs old and the soonest a child can get on a wait list is 3 yrs old, then it would be 9 years before the first of services. Also, I have seen where even though the wait lists last years, the places will drop the child if you do not call every 6 months to let them know you still want to be on the list. They do not call you to let you know that it is time. You just have to remember. And the insurance! These places drop and add insurances like crazy. This happens so fast that you often cannot get through the 3 year wait before they drop.