Menu

Might need to switch maths...Suggestions?

Southern Ivy

Math U See is NOT jiving here. I'm going to give it another week or so just to see if it clicks, but right now, it's a 'no'.
I'm not really sure what the issue is, except she's not grasping the whole concept of the base blocks. She has to count each square on the 10s to figure out it's 10, etc. 

What other math programs would you suggest for Kindergarten? 
She loves hands on, but we can easily incorporate that with counting bears, etc. 

Are you doing Primer or Alpha?

I'd wait it out if you're doing Primer.  It can take a bit of time to just know at a glance.  If needed, I'd play some of the games from Education Unboxed that uses C-rods, but do it with the MUS blocks.   Different colors but as long as she isn't watching the videos with you it doesn't matter.  Same with using Gattegno's book 1 - read the scripted activities and help her get to know the blocks before continuing in the curriculum.

• Like 1

Are you doing Primer or Alpha?

I'd wait it out if you're doing Primer.  It can take a bit of time to just know at a glance.  If needed, I'd play some of the games from Education Unboxed that uses C-rods, but do it with the MUS blocks.   Different colors but as long as she isn't watching the videos with you it doesn't matter.  Same with using Gattegno's book 1 - read the scripted activities and help her get to know the blocks before continuing in the curriculum.

Primer. 

I really hate to change it. I'm stubborn, but I also don't want to force something that's a wrong fit. :) 

I'll try the things you suggested for sure. Thanks

• Like 1

Needing to count 10 seems developmentally normal for kindergarten.

Thank you. I have a hard time remembering what is normal and what isn't for this age. I've spent most of my teaching career with 10 year olds, so my expectations are probably too high!

Maybe Right Start or you could look into the Ronit Bird e-books.   Is there any chance she might have dyscalculia?  Hard to know with a child that young but you might keep that possibility in the back of your head if issues don't seem to resolve.

It could be a possibility. She has ADHD, SPD, very possible Auditory Processing (which often goes hand in hand with the dys-family). She has decent number sense for her age - she can look at 5 objects and tell you how many pretty quickly, but still still has trouble identifying certain numbers in standard form. It's not outside the realm of possibilities and something I'm keeping in the back of my mind, but I'm not seeing a ton of signs of it right now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about a chart she can refer to with a picture of each bar and the number it represents? Not every kid "gets" the whole C-rod/MUS blocks thing and that's ok. (Says the mom who has tried over 18 maths programs over 12+ yrs.)

We like BJU, but Horizons K was fun for my dd at that age. It is easy to teach from what I remember.

• 2 weeks later...

My granddaughter absolutely loves Shiller Math. If I ask her what she wants to do it's usually math. She will do it for hours.

Now that's just her and what she likes. I can't vouch for everyone. But I like that it's open and go.

It's scripted (but I usually ad-lib) but it is working.

I have homeschooles my two older daughters 26 21 and tried a lot of everything and this is by far the best fit for us.

Do what works for your child.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk