Menu

LOE Foundations and Essentials or RLTL / ELTL or CP

Msweetpea2

Would it be possible to use these side by side? I have a 6.75 year old (1st grade) who needs the Foundations program to help with reading (and set a good baseline for grammar rules).  She knows how to write letters and knows some very basic phonograms so she can read very early readers but is not confident and guesses some words unless I make her sound them out. I also have an 8 year old (3rd grade) who would be in the faster paced Essentials since she is an incredibly advanced reader.  She knows some basic grammar rules, but I want to help her memorize more (along with a program that helps with spelling). Both enjoy writing.  My 8 year old really wants to learn cursive as well.

Should I just do Foundations for the younger one and find a different, less all-inclusive thing for the older? (like Cottage Press with some spelling?)

Any Moms have close in age, but not quite in skill set and use LOE (either or both)? I know I need Foundations for the 1st grader if I go with LOE... I'm trying to figure out cost vs. reality vs. sanity :zombie:

The other option is to use RLTL with DD6 and RLTL & ELTL with DD8... (clearly I've got my act together with T-10 days :ack2: )

Edited by Msweetpea2

You can work quickly through my Syllables program with both to see if it might cover most of the phonics you need for your 8 year old. The nonsense word work might also make your 6 year old ready for a less expensive phonics program, do not skip the optional nonsense word document in the teacher folder and play the phonics concentration game daily.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

You can work quickly through my Syllables program with both to see if it might cover most of the phonics you need for your 8 year old. The nonsense word work might also make your 6 year old ready for a less expensive phonics program, do not skip the optional nonsense word document in the teacher folder and play the phonics concentration game daily.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Thank You! - I just did the reading test... my 6yo scored at .4 grade level (she doesn't remember the long vowel rule if a word ends in e after a consonant, but recognized she was saying it wrong. For example she knows 'rat'. She read 'rate' as rat also.. she knew that rate should be different, but didn't know how.) My 8 yo is at 4.9 grade level. :ohmy:

Edited by Msweetpea2
  • Like 1

Thank You! - I just did the reading test... my 6yo scored at .4 grade level (she doesn't remember the long vowel rule if a word ends in e after a consonant, but recognized she was saying it wrong. For example she knows 'rat'. She read 'rate' as rat also.. she knew that rate should be different, but didn't know how.) My 8 yo is at 4.9 grade level. :ohmy:

You can keep your 8 year old doing a bit of phonics until she is at the 12th grade level!  It makes school and everything else so much easier if they can read anything. Your 6 year old will get there.  My son needed a lot of repetition with the basics.  I like to use my one page chart while they are learning, they learn faster if they have to look up the sound themselves, plus then you don't have to repeat yourself as much, first you guide them to the sound on the chart and help them through it, then they learn to use it themselves, sometimes with a general wave towards the chart.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/40LChartsCombined.pdf

• Like 1

Okay so now my next question would be - whats the difference between Cottage Press and ELTL? From my understanding RLTL is a spelling/phonics/reading and ELTL is more grammar/writing/dictation (with some picture study thrown in). Is this accurate? I LOVE the idea of my daughter starting to learn grammar in a gentle (and very natural for us) way - through reading good books (bonus...she's already read some of the selections).  From looking through CP, its got vocabulary (which I LOVE for my DD8), spelling/phonics, shorter reading selections, writing/copywork, narration, picture/nature studies... however, it says grammar but I didn't see any until level 2 primers.

Is this just a matter of preference? They are both affordable and use beautiful passages/books. I haven't seen many reviews of CP on here.

Not familiar with your other choices, sorry, but I am familiar with RLTL and ELTL, and they are strong programs that are incredibly simple to implement. I am a bit of a minimalist, so ELTL and RLTL are just a really good fit in that sense as well. I did not use ELTL until level 3, last year being our first year for my 9yo. That level has grammar, narration, picture study, dictation, copywork, and prepared dictation. In upper levels it includes writing instruction. I have not seen the lower levels yet, and my 6yo will be starting that next year. We are using RLTL for 6yo for reading, and for 9yo for spelling and learning to analyze words.

Edited by coastalfam
  • Like 1

Not familiar with your other choices, sorry, but I am familiar with RLTL and ELTL, and they are strong programs that are incredibly simple to implement. I am a bit of a minimalist, so ELTL and RLTL are just a really good fit in that sense as well. I did not use ELTL until level 3, last year being our first year for my 9yo. That level has grammar, narration, picture study, dictation, copywork, and prepared dictation. In upper levels it includes writing instruction. I have not seen the lower levels yet, and my 6yo will be starting that next year. We are using RLTL for 6yo for reading, and for 9yo for spelling and learning to analyze words.

So what level of RLTL would you recommend for DD8 (who reads at an almost 5th grade level)? I was thinking ELTL level 1 would still be great for her (she's starting 3rd grade and hasn't had any specific grammar yet).  I would definitely be using RLTL level 1 for my DD6. 

Thank you SO much for your feedback. I'm a fan of less is more too :thumbup1:

So what level of RLTL would you recommend for DD8 (who reads at an almost 5th grade level)? I was thinking ELTL level 1 would still be great for her (she's starting 3rd grade and hasn't had any specific grammar yet).  I would definitely be using RLTL level 1 for my DD6. 

Thank you SO much for your feedback. I'm a fan of less is more too :thumbup1:

So, I am still trying to figure that out. We are switching over to this for my 9yo from AAS (finished up level 2 and part of 3 last year), which worked fine, but was just very complex to implement. He reads at a very high level, but spells right about on target for his grade level (I think). Right now all I have is RLTL 1, which my 6yo is going through as a reading program, and my 9yo is re-familiarizing himself with all the phonograms at the same time (we do all the phonogram review together... makes my life simple), and learning how to analyze words the RLTL way. All the spelling words from all the levels are listed in the appendix in RLTL 1, but the thing is, RLTL has kiddos analyzing and learning much more complex words than other programs I've seen right from the start (definitely words on the level of AAS 2 & 3), so my current plan is to start at the beginning of RLTL 1 since I have it anyway, and just skip past any words that he knows, and work on the ones he doesn't. I plan on getting RLTL 2 when we get to the end of 1, however fast or slow that happens, and to keep going in that fashion. I think the neat thing about learning to analyze words, and also learning spelling through prepared dictation in ELTL, is it is less dependent on word families and keeping things in a specific order for the sake of a program. Also, because the children learn all the phonics and spelling words right away, any word you encounter can be used as a spelling word, analyzed, and even put into a spelling journal. Barefoot Ragamuffin has a  free (or very cheap?) spelling journal pdf which we use when we do the prepared dictation, and also for misspelled words that we correct his writing. ELTL has an appendix about spelling. If you decide to go with RLTL and ELTL, I would recommend joining the yahoo group through the BRC website. The author of the curriculum is wonderfully responsive to questions from us parents, and how to implement her programs in different situations. I think ELTL A or B (or levels 1 or 2 as they were formerly called) would both be fine to start out with. They both start from the beginning grammar wise. ELTL B will have lengthier copywork and overall a bit more complexity in the lessons.