Menu

Suggestions for 8th grade science? Possibly robotics?

I need a science curriculum for ds going into 8th grade. We had planned on him going to public school this year, but that didn't work out, so I'm a bit last minute with choosing curriculum. He did Apologia General Science last year, and it was a real struggle, so I'd like to find something that he will actually enjoy before he has to do high school required courses. He's curious about robotics, but hasn't done any study of it yet. Is there an introductory robotics course that he could work on?

We live in England so I need to find something that won't cost an absolute fortune to ship over here also. Any ideas?

How about working through the Make: Electronics book? There are even kits you can buy for it and you can buy a kit for the first half of the book separately from the second half of the book (in case you move more slowly). Not robotics, but the EE side of things.

ETA: EE = electrical engineering 

​Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 3

How about working through the Make: Electronics book? There are even kits you can buy for it and you can buy a kit for the first half of the book separately from the second half of the book (in case you move more slowly). Not robotics, but the EE side of things.

ETA: EE = electrical engineering 

​Emily

This looks really good. Thanks!

I taught a coop class using the Parallax Robotics Shield Kit for Arduino last year and it was fantastic. The kit is $149 and comes with a link to a huge project book that takes you step by step through assembling the kit and programming it. I did twenty one hour classes with it, but there was so much more in the book you could easily study this for a year. I also used the Make book mentioned above as a supplement. 

• Like 1